Avatar Breaks Even, Surprises Everyone

Vraeyda

Nov 3, 2009
shaboinkin said:
Torque669 said:
Wow ... I wish I had money like that. Hopefully James Cameron wont ruin this great movie by using the money to make a mediocre sequel
i really can't see what the sequel could even be about.
It might be a bit difficult to find a decent plot line in a self-contained movie like Avatar. Hopefully, oh hopefully the screenwriters who want to be the next big thing won't try.

Otherwise, we'd get Avatar II: Twenty Years Later, and the Kids are Still Rebelling Change.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
I'm going to (Finally) see this tomorrow, I swear if MovieBob isn't right I am going to kick his ass...

...Just screwing with you Bob...

...Or am I?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jon Etheridge said:
I think word of mouth will help this one out a lot. i was skeptical as hell about this flick but thoroughly enjoyed myself. Plot was a bit predictable but the visuals, especially in 3D, sets this film apart from anything else out there.

About a forth into the movie I actually forgot I was watching something that was completely created in a computer. Films like Beowulf and The Polar Express have tried to capture lifelike performances but there has always been something about it that reminds me I'm watching CG. Avatar was, for me, the first film to actually cross that barrier.
Agreed. It completely crossed the Uncanny Valley - at least, for me personally.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Nice - so, even if the actual cost is twice as much, they still made profit? Good for them!

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
I'm saddened by this, yes the movie is pretty, but it's also predictable and way to long for what little subsentence it has, just saw it with my uncle on his annual "present" which is two tickets to a movie he wants to see, once you got pass the prettiness this movie was adequate.

its more like the crysis of movies, you owe it to yourself just to see what technology has made possible, but don't expect much beyond the visual. (who the hell expected duke nukem forever to be visually stunning, we only expected it to be the best game ever made)

Tommy T.

Nov 9, 2009
sirdanrhodes said:
In other news, Avatar is fucking awful!
Cool trolling is not so cool.

Avatar was definetly not bad. Story was decent but the effects, scenery and that shizz was awesome. Those few hundred million dollars were not wasted. Definetly one of the best two and a half hours I've spent in a while.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
Jon Etheridge said:
I think word of mouth will help this one out a lot. i was skeptical as hell about this flick but thoroughly enjoyed myself. Plot was a bit predictable but the visuals, especially in 3D, sets this film apart from anything else out there.

About a forth into the movie I actually forgot I was watching something that was completely created in a computer. Films like Beowulf and The Polar Express have tried to capture lifelike performances but there has always been something about it that reminds me I'm watching CG. Avatar was, for me, the first film to actually cross that barrier.
Agreed. It completely crossed the Uncanny Valley - at least, for me personally.
Also agreed. Thoroughly enjoyable in both plot and visuals. I've seen it twice already (in 3D) and will be going at least once more.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Jon Etheridge said:

Very much this.
I forgot I was watching a film completely and found myself physically hating the antagonists.

The film was worth every penny spent on it.

Jul 9, 2008
Jon Etheridge said:

Agreed. District 9 did that as well, but it was different because, even in the scenes with only Prawns, there was at least something real on screen, whereas Avatar had entire scenes that we completely CG.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
A sequel could work if Cameron makes the movie with new characters, in a different time period and with a story completely different from the first movie. Maybe it can happen in the big planet. If Avatar 1 is Dance with Wolves, maybe Avatar 2 could be a big war like Saving Private Ryan. It can be done, and thankfully Cameron proved he is no Lucas, at least for me.

I still think CGI can get a lot better, but at the time, there is little stuff that gets close to the quality and sheer beauty of Avatar. It is like a moving masterpiece painting more than hyperrealistic images. The night scenes really made the CGI magnificent.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
MurderousToaster said:
Torque669 said:
Wow ... I wish I had money like that. Hopefully James Cameron wont ruin this great movie by using the money to make a mediocre sequel
You mean he won't do a Lucas?
Empire was better than a New Hope.

[small]Yes, I know you're referring to the prequels, but if one more person gets pompous about the 'far superior' originals I will murder a puppy.[/small]

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Woodsey said:
MurderousToaster said:
Torque669 said:
Empire was better than a New Hope.

[small]Yes, I know you're referring to the prequels, but if one more person gets pompous about the 'far superior' originals I will murder a puppy.[/small]
*Insert Deliberately Irritating Assholeish Pomposity in Order To Irritate The Person Who Asked Me Not To Do It Here*

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
MurderousToaster said:
Torque669 said:
'

Dude ur talkin about a director who after Titanic pretty much didnt do anything for years. And since titanic is the best selling movie of all time that should speak in volumes about the guy.
i personally think he is crazy not to cash in on his fame back in the day but oh well....

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
A shame, this is going to encourage Cameron to make more movies like this...

Azmael Silverlance said:
Dude ur talkin about a director who after Titanic pretty much didnt do anything for years. And since titanic is the best selling movie of all time that should speak in volumes about the guy.
i personally think he is crazy not to cash in on his fame back in the day but oh well....
It was also his worst movie, Titanic, that is.
I think he's up his own arse with the "artistic" side of movie making.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Torque669 said:
Id be more worried about someone who isnt James Cameron doing a sequel, can you imagin what Bay would do with this?

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Warchamp7 said:
I find it amusing that one of the featured articles is Sean Sands' about not forgetting the people working hard behind the scenes on games and one of the first sentences here makes a Duke Nukem Forever joke.
yep. another difference between avatar and dnf, if dnf had finally been made, it was going to suck hard and be an awful game. avatar not only was finished was but pretty fun to watch and i look forward to seeing it again.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Worgen said:
Torque669 said:
Id be more worried about someone who isnt James Cameron doing a sequel, can you imagin what Bay would do with this?
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH - DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS

If Bay made Avatar he'd turn a 2 hour 45 minute movie into 90 minutes with his stupid ADHD editing