Avatar Breaks Even, Surprises Everyone

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Avatar Breaks Even, Surprises Everyone

Possibly the most expensive movie ever made has actually managed to make its money back just days after release.

James Cameron's Avatar is like the Duke Nukem Forever of movies, with the obvious difference that it actually got made. Avatar was first dreamt up in 1994 and officially cost $237 million to make, although it is rumored to have cost more than twice that, which if true, makes it the most expensive single-part movie ever made. To put that into perspective, if the rumors are true, Avatar cost more to make than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and The Dark Knight combined.

After a relatively slow opening weekend, signs suggested that Avatar was going to struggle to recoup its enormous budget, but according to sources, the movie made over $600 million over the Christmas holiday, meaning that it made its money back, and more beside, in just ten days, disappointing those who hoped it might be the biggest flop of the decade.

Source: Topless Robot [http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/12/holy_avatar_made_its_money_back.php]

Warchamp7

Sep 1, 2009
I find it amusing that one of the featured articles is Sean Sands' about not forgetting the people working hard behind the scenes on games and one of the first sentences here makes a Duke Nukem Forever joke.

sharks9

Mar 28, 2009
personally I thought it was a fantastic movie, especially in 3D. The scenery was gorgeous and even throughout the plot I kept thinking of Dances with Wolves it was still pretty good.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Wow ... I wish I had money like that. Hopefully James Cameron wont ruin this great movie by using the money to make a mediocre sequel

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
I think the hype may have help it get the attention a film needs to make that sort of cash. Plus the fact that it was actually a fairly good film.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
In other news, Avatar is fucking awful!

Edit, this just in, I have to write a fucking review to have a personal view. Expect me to write one soon TO STOP YOU MOANING!

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Torque669 said:
Wow ... I wish I had money like that. Hopefully James Cameron wont ruin this great movie by using the money to make a mediocre sequel
i really can't see what the sequel could even be about.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
zombie711 said:
whats the difference between the 18 rated version and the 12 rated version
There's an 18 rated version? I'm assuming you'll see some blue boobs and possibly blue blood.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
I thought it was good, but much better movies have been made for a fraction of the money. Still, got to admire Cameron's balls.

justblues

Jan 11, 2009
yeah i saw it on saturday, tickets for the imax version were sold out till monday, still the 3-d version was good. be it the weather or the publicity avatar was a great movie to see that christmas holiday

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
I think word of mouth will help this one out a lot. i was skeptical as hell about this flick but thoroughly enjoyed myself. Plot was a bit predictable but the visuals, especially in 3D, sets this film apart from anything else out there.

About a forth into the movie I actually forgot I was watching something that was completely created in a computer. Films like Beowulf and The Polar Express have tried to capture lifelike performances but there has always been something about it that reminds me I'm watching CG. Avatar was, for me, the first film to actually cross that barrier.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
In other news, Avatar is fucking awful!
How so, Care to elaborate a bit? It's good if you back up your opinion a bit instead of just yelling "FIRE!" and running away.

Personally, I thought it was a pretty good movie. Not AMAZING, but a damn fine 2.5 hours or so. The story was decent enough, the effects were cool, all that jazz. I didn't see it in 3D though I wish I did, probably would have been nifty.

Either way, it's good to know that the movie may have recouperated their loses from making it.

BigHandInSky

Apr 16, 2009
shaboinkin said:
Torque669 said:
i really can't see what the sequel could even be about.
The RDA return to kick ass with even more powerful mechs/exoskeletons and gunships?
Also the film was awesome, and i wish the game was as well, because i wanted to fight in those awesome mechs/exoskeletons

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Still haven't seen this yet. I am waiting for someone to take me out to the nearest IMax theater because I really don't want to see it in a regular theater. That's good to hear it broke even already, at least it wont be talked about as the biggest waste of movie money every or anything like that.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Yeah, it's opening weekend numbers were decent but not particularly impressive. What was impressive, is how it kept those opening weekend figures going consistantly for a whole week afterward.

Anyway, it's a good thing, the movie deserves it