Avatar Legends Shapes Xbox Avatars Into Wizards and Warriors

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Avatar Legends Shapes Xbox Avatars Into Wizards and Warriors

Your Xbox 360 avatar could become the savior of the world in the upcoming Avatar Legends.

One of the next Xbox Live Indie Games that RPG fans might want to look out for is Avatar Legends from Barkers Crest Studio. It takes your Xbox 360 avatar and turns him/her into a sword-wielding, magic-slinging hero in a lengthy quest, and even lets you create your own worlds and quests for others to play.

Avatar Legends' first trailer shows avatars shooting fire and generating fields of electricity to defeat skeletons and orcs. Barkers Crest says the game will come with a 10+ hour single player storyline where players will level up, acquire gold, and collect equipment. Up to 6 players can also engage in Avatar Legends' multiplayer mode, featuring specific types of maps, in addition to competing for global high scores.

These modes alone are probably worth the few dollars the game will likely cost (it is an Xbox Live Indie Game after all), but Barkers Crest is throwing in a level designer too. The level designer can be used to create more multiplayer maps and single player adventures. Users can build terrain, add trees, structures, roads, rivers, and other objects, setup waves of enemies and combat zones, define the world's quests and items, place NPCs (which can be your friends) and write their dialogue, and implement trigger events such as changes in weather. Other players will be able to download custom maps to their hard drives (though it's not clear if this is just for multiplayer maps or not).

It looks interesting, but we'll have to wait and see if Avatar Legends has any gameplay chops when it's released in late April on the Xbox Live Indie Games storefront.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
Hmm, perhaps I have a reason to turn on my 360 again after all. Unless this will also be on GFWL, which I doubt.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Wait, why did they post this with a video of Fable II?
*Examines closer*
Oh. That's not Fable II. The graphics are better...

Seriously though, the only setting I've never been able to find on my XBox avatar is the "level to which you want to punch him right in his smug face" slider bar. It's always set to maximum.

Crazeeee_J

Mar 28, 2011
If done right, this has great potential, especially the create-your-own-world thing.

But I don't know....an indie game mmo? (Basically).
Seems a little risky.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
Oh that map development kit would be perfect for running RPG campaigns!
I will be watching this eagerly!

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
The dissonance between the video and the audio is hilariously vast.

It is an interesting idea, though I doubt it'll work out all too well.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
I've been saying for ages that the avatars need real proper games to be even vaguely useful as at the moment they're pretty much useless, this is the closest I've seen that's come to that.

I'd love to see what a triple A developer like Bioware could do with a game based on the avatars

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
This looks amazing, I think Minecraft showed given the right tools there is a lot players can do with their own creativity to make their own projects and adventures.

Really looking forward to this.

Ben Gepfrey

Aug 6, 2010
This has lots of potential. The world creation alone will be worth a few bucks in my opinion. I don't know about the battles though, they look like they need work.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Two sci-fi/fantasy franchises named "Avatar" are quite confusing enough, thank you very much.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
A rather nice idea, but my primary concern is that it reminds me that Xbox has Miis Avatars now. I haven't turned my 360 on in ages and every time I start to forget about those bloody things, *BAM* Microsoft shoves the idea into my head and I hate them the more for ever making them.

Tangent aside, this has me now thinking of a fun(ny) idea: Avatar Assassins!

"Grrr, I hate Jeff TZSPATzaJ333... hey, I know! I'll assassinate him!"

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
Is it compatible with that wierd blue turd thing I have as my PSN avater?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I will be on the lookout for this, but only because there is a shortage of sword-and-sorcery games that allow me to play as a dapper gentleman in a suit and fedora.

-Zen- said:
The dissonance between the video and the audio is hilariously vast.
I know, right? It's like one of those trailers recut to be of a different genre, and this was a recut of Harrold & Kumar go to White Castle recut to look like a LOTR style epic.

ArcticSquirrel

Nov 12, 2010
I don't know about the combat system, but the ability to (hopefully) make campaign maps is amazing. I will probably pick this up just to see what my imagination can come up with.