Avatar Makes Billion in Record Time

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Avatar Makes Billion in Record Time

Avatar [http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-DVD-Combo/dp/B002VPE1B6/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1282155768&sr=1-1], supposedly the most expensive movie ever made, has made a billion dollars in record-breaking time.

James Cameron's sci-fi epic Avatar, about a paraplegic human solider who infiltrates the Na'vi, a race of giant blue aliens, has made over $1 billion at the box office in only 17 days, making it the fastest movie to ever reach that landmark and the fourth biggest movie ever made, after Titanic [http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Caribbean-Dead-Chest-Widescreen/dp/B000I0RQVI/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1282155833&sr=1-1], also directed by Cameron.

"This is like a freight train out of control," said 20th Century Fox distribution executive Bert Livingston. "It just keeps on going. I think everybody has to see Avatar once, even people who don't normally go to the movies, they've heard about it and are saying, 'I have to see it'," he said. "Then there are those people seeing it multiple times."

Avatar opened in China over the weekend, and opens in Italy, it's final market, on January 15th

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8438824.stm]

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Over a billion dollars in less than a month? That's amazing. I feel partially ashamed to not be a contributor to that hefty sum. I would disagree with the "out of control" comment of Mr. Livingston. The way I see it (ala Back to the Future), the movie has just about hit 84 miles an hour. It's not at history book-making (or breaking) yet, but it's getting dangerously close. Personally, I hope it will be able to beat out Titanic in the Biggest Movie charts. It certainly looks like it will go that way right now, but we'll have to wait and see at the end of the month.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Furburt said:
Good. I've always liked James Cameron's work and is one of the few directors in Hollywood that deserves it.

Keep on truckin JC.
I agree, James has proven once again he is a phenomenal creator of motion pictures. Excellent movie, it deserves all of the attention its getting.

JusticarPhaeton

Jul 29, 2009
ace_of_something said:
A billion dollars? In your face recession.
actully, the movie business is one of the few that actully flourishes in recession. For reasons depressingly obviou. like Campbell's soup co.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Well, i guess that eye candy is just that good. I'd watch it if storyline was less blunt, but i guess transparent analogies work perfectly for non-philosophising masses. Oh well. Sometimes, first duty of writers is restatement of the obvious.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Think of the DVD and Blu Ray sales, enough to rival Modern Warfare's record?

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Tomorrow I'll contribute a few ? to that hefty sum.

Don't care about the movie. I just want to be part of the record.

(kidding)

DoctorNick

Oct 31, 2007
While I have respect for James Cameron as a film maker and I am also forced to admit that the visuals of the movie ARE amazing, I still think it's sad we as a movie-going society keep giving the message to Hollywood that visuals are the only thing we want and that movies can get away with half-baked done-to-death-and-better scripts & stories.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
WOW!

I bet he's going to get it in all ones and dives into a pool of money while some holographic avatar butler does all the house work for them

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I am just feeling it right now, but

FUCKING AMAZING MOVIE.

Thank you.

Gratz to James Cameron. He made Billions one time, now he's done it again.

Can anyone else say that? (No really, serious question)