Avatar Producer Says 3D Glasses Need to be Sexier

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Avatar Producer Says 3D Glasses Need to be Sexier

There is a great deal of potential in 3D gaming, Avatar [http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-DVD-Combo/dp/B002VPE1B6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278527710&sr=1-1] producer Jon Landau said, so long as people can get over the stupid glasses.

"The potential of 3D gaming is greater than the potential of 3D films," Landau said at the 3D gaming Summit in Los Angeles. Landau believes the advent of 3D gaming will offer designers new tools to expand on the level of experience and immersion their games allow. The issue that has stymied the flow of 3D is the glasses, forever ingrained in the public consciousness as cheap cardboard with blue and red lenses. For Landau, spreading 3D is about revitalizing this image and making it more attractive to the public.

"People wear glasses now. People go to the beach and they wear glasses, and then don't have a problem with it," Landau said. "How do we stylize glasses? How do we make glasses that bring added value to the table? How do we make glasses with a USB port? Or that give additional content or access codes for a game?"

Landau is definitely on to something. People are more than willing to put on sunglasses or headphones when the situation warrants it. Getting people to wear 3D glasses may not be a huge challenge. Getting them to pay for them, however will probably require some killer apps to make the most of 3D's potential.

Source: <a href=http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704152/Avatar-Producer-Jon-Landau-3D-Has-More-Potential-In-Games-Than-Movies.html?utm_source=g4tv&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=TheFeed>G4

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
If they make them sexier, then maybe the Hipsters won't pop out the lenses and wear them to be "ironic" or whatever the fuck it is they do.

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
AkJay said:
If they make them sexier, then maybe the Hipsters won't pop out the lenses and wear them to be "ironic" or whatever the fuck it is they do.
Truth!

But I'll never pay for stupid 3d glasses no matter what gadgets are put into them.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
If 3D glasses were designed like my 8 year old pair of Oakley's then yes, yes I would spend 365 pounds on a game.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
I've reported this thread, not because its bad, but because its broken. It keeps linking on the front page to 403 and the comments are upside down.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Whoa, why are the comments first and the article four posts down?

Edit: Never mind its been fixed now.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
ColdStorage said:
I've reported this thread, not because its bad, but because its broken. It keeps linking on the front page to 403 and the comments are upside down.
They are sorted by time. SOMEONE POSTED FROM THE PAST.

Apr 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
ColdStorage said:
THE UNIVERSE IS EXPLODING!

OT: Its not that I have to wear glasses that puts me off 3-D. Well, it is a small reason, since I already wear glasses and putting on 2 pairs at once is just silly, but the other reason is because I cant' even freaking see the 3-D.

Plus all it leaves me with is a headache and makes me feel sick...

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
ColdStorage said:
That was fucking epic...

I'll look to the future for comments.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Make them sexier? No, they need to make them go away. Seriously wait until we can have 3D without glasses then spam the public with 3D technology.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
They do need to be better...for those who can use them anway...

I remember days of old paper ones...

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
And what about the people who wear glasses to correct poor vision, not just as a fashion accessory. Sure they could use contact lenses, but that's kind of a nuisance ain't it? I wear contacts throughout the day but I usually switch to glasses in the evening when the contacts start to become uncomfortable, which is coincidentally when I do the most gaming. That is my biggest issue with 3D gaming, since wearing two pairs of glasses does not sound comfortable or sexy.

Though I really don't care how sexy I look while I'm gaming or watching a movie. Anyone who does is a little too vain...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
This issue will be solved one and for all with my latest invention the 3D Monocle.

Here modelled by our celebrity spokesperson Sir Patrick Moore.