Avatar Studios opens - new Avatar TLA shows and films coming!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Source

It’s hard to believe it’s been 19 years since we created Avatar: The Last Airbender. But even after all that time, there are still many stories and time periods in Aang’s world that we are eager to bring to life. We are fortunate to have an ever-growing community of passionate fans that enjoys exploring the Avatarverse as much as we do. And with this new Avatar Studios venture we have an unparalleled opportunity to develop our franchise and its storytelling on a vast scale, in myriad exciting ways and mediums. We are exceedingly grateful to Brian Robbins and Ramsey Naito for their enthusiasm and respect for the Avatar property and us as its stewards. From the start, they’ve supported our ambitious plans and created a positive, proactive environment for us. We’re excited to be back at Nickelodeon where Avatar began, doing what we do best in the biggest way possible. We can’t wait to build the great teams and productions to make all of this fantasy a reality.” – Bryan Konietzko & Michael DiMartino
The first project is already lined up: an animated theatrical film set to begin production this year.
What great news to wake up to.

As my avatar (heh) might suggest, im a huge Avatar fan. I love TLA, and I also really love Korra - warts and all. It is definitely my favourite fantasy world.

But i've always been really disappointed with how Avatar has been treated, since the first show.

The movie sucked. Korra was plagued with production issues throughout its life. And now there is a live-action TLA remake heading to Netflix, which the creators left due to creative differences - so that is obviously going well. Whilst there have been a few graphic novels, and even a couple of regular novels - they just don't scratch the same itch. Its been a pretty sad time to be an Avatar fan.

I've always been afraid that Avatar will die with a whimper, being constantly sold around and mismanaged, with TLA and LoK being the only animated shows that we will ever get.

But, this is a beacon of hope.

Since the animated Avatar shows were added to Netflix, they got quite a bit of a second wind, and this must have caught the attention of Nickelodeon, who are apparently willing to give animated Avatar another try, and I could not be happier.

Im also obviously wary, because things haven't gone great, so far - and im pretty sure the franchise is cursed. But, Im optimistic.

So - thoughts?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I have some cautious optimism, but I am happy for the studio. My only gripe is that I don't want Mike and Brian getting too crazy with their ideas and going into a fanfic levels of screwing up like they did with Legend of Korra and a few of the comics that took place after ATLA or Korra's 4th season. they did write themselves into a corner by having Korra's past lives destroyed. Yes, the cycle can beginning again with her when she passes, but odds are if they do a animated feature that takes place after that show, it'll be several generations ahead to where the universe is the "modern setting" equivalent of ours. Honestly, if they want to animate something, I don't mind them doing an animated adaption of the Kiyoshi books. I still got to finish the first book and then work my way to the second book.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
They did write themselves into a corner by having Korra's past lives destroyed. yes, the cycle can beginning again with her when she passes, but odds are if they do a animated feature that takes place after that show, it'll be several generations ahead to where the universe is the "modern setting" equivalent of ours. Honestly, if they want to animate something, I don't mind them doing an animated adaption of the Kiyoshi books. I still got to finish the first book and then work my way to the second book.
That is my fear. I would be really happy to see Korra again, as the mentor to a new Avatar, but unless she died soon after the show, we would indeed be in some kind of 2000's analogue, and I don't think I would really want to see that - at least not for a whole series.

Honestly, I think the best direction that Avatar can go in, would either be further exploring the lives of Aang and Korra after their shows, or going way back, and seeing a lot of the past Avatars.

The problem with prequels though, is the usual "well obviously nothing major can happen, because everything is fine when X takes place", which is always a bit of a problem.

We'll have to wait and see, but im definitely interested to see where they go.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'd be interested in seeing a show about some of the many, many Avatars before Aang.

Roku, Kyoshi(who apparently has some really interesting graphic novels about her), or just anything else.

Maybe not Wan. We got plenty of him in the Beginnings episodes.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I am deeply curious to see how bending integrates with a even more industrial and science based society. Korra takes place in what would be roughly the 1920’s to 1930’s. And Korra herself is what, 18 or so by the end of proceedings. So let’s assume she lives through to her late 50’s and keels over dead. That would put the next Avatar being born in the mid 60’s to early 70’s and by the time they’re grown enough we’d nearly be in the 1980’s.

So, have the people of Avatar split the atom? Gone to the moon? Invented vaccines? Did the conflict with the Earth Kingdom and Kuvira’s defeat create even more hardliners? Was there a Ba Sing Se wall? Have they invented firearms? Was there a suffrage movement for non-Benders? Computing technology? And many other thousands of possible things. The closer Avatar gets to a world I recognise, the more interested I become.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I hope they hold back a bit on the bending. I was not a big fan of the "bending is basically just guns" approach they had in Korra. The shakey cam they added also needs to fuck off. Just let me appreciate the fluid animation you have created.

In terms of story, go wild. I never finished Korra so I have no idea what's changed after the finale. Be nice if they delved into the cultural differences of the nations.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In terms of story, go wild. I never finished Korra so I have no idea what's changed after the finale. Be nice if they delved into the cultural differences of the nations.
The various comics that take place after ATLA kinda solves that issue. See The Rift, North & South, and Imbalance. The Kyoshi books delve more in to Earth Kingdom culture, but I am still on the first book. Need to finish that.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The various comics that take place after ATLA kinda solves that issue. See The Rift, North & South, and Imbalance. The Kyoshi books delve more in to Earth Kingdom culture, but I am still on the first book. Need to finish that.
Are the first three comics you mentioned about the forming of Republic City? I think I read those.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Are the first three comics you mentioned about the forming of Republic City? I think I read those.
The Rift and Imbalance are about the origins of Republic City. North & South is about a feud between the Northern and Southern water tribe.

blockhead77

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2020
Considering how shit Korra was, I cannot say I am particularly interested.
I'd think we wouldn't get more Korra, but I could be wrong.
I'm guessing that we're getting new stuff, or maybe what Aang and crew were up to after the original series