Avengers 2 Promo Art Reveals Ultron's Origins

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Avengers 2 Promo Art Reveals Ultron's Origins

Supposedly leaked promotional art for Avengers: Age of Ultron includes details about the origins of Vision and Ultron.

2015 is almost here and with it comes the glorious reality that Avengers: Age of Ultron is <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136689-Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Filming-Wraps-According-to-Joss-Whedon>only five months away from hitting theaters. As smile-inducing as that thought is however, we could understand if Marvel fans still might need a little something here and there to help them through the final months of waiting. Luckily, the rumor mill never seems to stop producing tidbits to help tide us all over.

Take, for instance, some recently leaked pieces of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/avengers%20age%20of%20ultron?os=avengers+age+of+ultron>Age of Ultron promotional art. Originally posted on Reddit, the images in question provide origin details for both Vision and the film's antagonist Ultron. Vision is described as having been "programmed by the combined geniuses of Tony Stark & Bruce Banner" and will apparently come equipped with "the ability to fly, project intense energy beams and change the density of his form."

Ultron, in turn, will apparently start off "as a simple computer program hidden among the ruins of the Chitauri invasion" which, fans may recall, took place at the end of the first <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/avengers>Avengers film. Tony Stark has likewise been pinpointed as the man responsible for its "development into a sophisticated artificial intelligence." The description goes on to say that Ultron will spend the film trying to upgrade its body "to an ultimate, unstoppable form" and that it will also have "the ability to enter and corrupt any computer network."

We should state, of course, that Marvel has yet to confirm whether or not these promotional materials are real. That said, they certainly look the part and nothing we've already learned about the movie would seem to contradict what's been described. What do you think of Ultron and Vision's origins? Are you satisfied with Ultron being a byproduct of the Chitauri or is there an alternate origin you might have preferred? Check out the promo images and let us know.

[gallery=3681]

Source: Bad Ass Digest

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
StewShearer said:
The description goes on to say that Ultron will spend the film trying to upgrade its body "to an ultimate, unstoppable form"
One of Ultron's goal is indeed to keep improving and evolving and become ultimate. However I do not think he will spend much of the film doing it, from the trailers it looks like he will upgrade to his Vibranium body very early in the movie and then that's it.

Afterall he has to defeat the Avengers early on in the film (breaking cap's shield in two) so they can recover and beat him later. Also when he sets the twins free in the trailer he is already Vibranium and that has to happen pretty early too in the film so the Avengers can beat and convert them as part of the team.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
That first photo of Ultron holding the cracking earth is ridiculously gorgeous. And classic. I'm like "damn, that's some real sci-fi villain shit right there."

It spoke to me.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
dragonswarrior said:
That first photo of Ultron holding the cracking earth is ridiculously gorgeous. And classic. I'm like "damn, that's some real sci-fi villain shit right there."

It spoke to me.
Agreed

I wish Joss liked Wonder Man though, I wanted to see him in the movies, then we'd get the classic Vision origin. Oh Well.

moggett88

May 2, 2013
You know what makes me doubt the authenticity of this leak? The sentence "his first ultimatum is to declare the human race it's enemy" (or something close to that). That is in no way an ultimatum, it's a mission statement. Think Marvel generally have a better grasp of English than that.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I've never quite understood Ultron's actual motivation. How does a machine benefit from destruction? I understand one programmed to kill, but a sentient self thinking entity? Humans really bear no harm against him as a whole so their deaths would be largely inconsequential to him.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Lightknight said:
I've never quite understood Ultron's actual motivation. How does a machine benefit from destruction? I understand one programmed to kill, but a sentient self thinking entity? Humans really bear no harm against him as a whole so their deaths would be largely inconsequential to him.
Probably the usual "I'm more t=intelligent and powerful than you. Why should I listen to you?" argument. Either that, or he naturally has a God Complex. And since we're talking about Ultron, I want to show you this. It's a guy that does these voice for various characters, and I think his Ultron voice was well done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0VgPnbqFQQ

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
Lightknight said:
"Further flashbacks reveal that Ultron is the creation of Hank Pym, and based on Pym's brain patterns. The robot gradually developed its own intelligence and rebelled, and almost immediately develops an Oedipus Complex, whereby it feels irrational hatred for his "father" Hank, and demonstrates an interest in Hank's lover Janet van Dyne, the Wasp. Rebuilding itself, learning how to turn itself on, and upgrading five times, Ultron then hypnotizes Pym and brainwashes him into forgetting that the robot had ever existed."

From his character bio on Wikipedia. Basically, he's bugged, I guess. Pym wasn't exactly very stable either (which becomes apparent later).

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I was kind of hoping that Ultron would solely be the work of Hank Pym, he/it would survive Avengers 2 and that Ant Man would play out partly in medias-res and deal with both his creation and his ultimately being disabled (if not outright destroyed).

If nothing else, I wanted a shot of Ant Man's giant foot squashing an Ultron-bot Monty Python style.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I really hope that Ultron ends up being a Chitauri tech based upgrade of JARVIS. I'm my own boss now Tony you smug bastard!

Possibly STIS - Slightly Too Intelligent System.
(can't work out a decent acronym for ULTRON unfortunately)

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
K12 said:
I really hope that Ultron ends up being a Chitauri tech based upgrade of JARVIS. I'm my own boss now Tony you smug bastard!

Possibly STIS - Slightly Too Intelligent System.
(can't work out a decent acronym for ULTRON unfortunately)
Ultimate Lifelike Technology Running on Neutralisation? Best I've got.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
I can't wait until Thanos gets involved.

This is a guy who personally killed half of all life in the universe as a gift to his girlfriend.