Avengers 3 Arriving Early? Captain America: Civil War Reveals Plot And Cast

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Avengers 3 Arriving Early? Captain America: Civil War Reveals Plot And Cast

Captain America: Civil War has just begun production - which means new details on the plot and cast list have been revealed.

WARNING: The following includes very minor spoilers of the final scene in Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Captain America: Civil War is set to be the next big game changer of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The problem is while we know <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/12459-Captain-America-3-Will-Bring-Civil-War-to-the-Marvel-Cinematic-U>it will turn Cap and Iron Man against each other - and introduce <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140700-Martin-Freeman-Joins-Marvel-Cinematic-Universe-In-Captain-America-Civil-War>Martin Freeman as an undisclosed character - we have very few details about what to expect. Thankfully, that Civil War has begun production and made one thing very clear: This will be a massive undertaking that brings together characters <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/13836-The-Marvel-Cinematic-Universe-Ultimate-Guide>from almost every Marvel Studios franchise to date. It might as well be called Avengers 3 at this point.

First, the plot itself: After the events of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/cinemarter/13856-Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Review>Age of Ultron, Steve Rogers is in charge of a new Avengers team that defends humanity. But when the Avengers are tied to an international incident causing collateral damage, a new governing body steps in to manage the team - including determining when they can be deployed. That new status quo causes the Avengers to fracture, just as a new villain enters the scene who takes advantage of the chaos.

Considering this new film was already based on the Civil War comic, we already knew the basic framework of the story. But what's surprising is Civil War's scope: This movie is bringing in a who's-who of Marvel Studios veterans.

To start, Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., and Scarlett Johansson will reprise their respective roles as Captain America, Iron Man, and Black Widow. Next up is the new Avengers team, which features Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch, Anthony Mackie as Falcon, Paul Bettany as The Vision, and everyone you saw in Ultron's final scenes. Then there's Paul Rudd, fresh off his debut <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140435-Marvels-Ant-Man-Second-Trailer-Released>in Ant-Man, appearing alongside the team. Chadwick Boseman will make his first appearance as <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/12530-The-History-And-Mythology-of-Marvels-Black-Panther>the Black Panther for Civil War, leading into his own film. This movie will even mark the return of William Hurt as General Ross - last seen nursing a drink and his pride in The Incredible Hulk.

The last movie to shake-up the entire Marvel status quo like this was Captain America: Winter Soldier, also directed by Joe and Anthony Russo. Based on the premise and full cast list, Civil War is in a strong position to raise that bar even higher. The finished film will reach theaters on May 6, 2016.

Source: <a href=http://marvel.com/news/movies/24586/marvel_studios_begins_production_on_marvels_captain_america_civil_war>Marvel

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
People keep telling me how much of a game-changer Winter Soldier was, but was it really? Going by Avengers 2, it wasn't.

ekrolo2

Oct 15, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
People keep telling me how much of a game-changer Winter Soldier was, but was it really? Going by Avengers 2, it wasn't.
That's because Whedon made SHIELDs downfall totally pointless by basically bringing them back so the Avengers get to save everyone again and not face a tough, morally ambiguous decision. Hell, he even admitted he didn't like the fact SHIELD was destroyed in WS so he retconned it back in the most ass pullish way possible.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
ekrolo2 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
That's because Whedon made SHIELDs downfall totally pointless by basically bringing them back so the Avengers get to save everyone again and not face a tough, morally ambiguous decision. Hell, he even admitted he didn't like the fact SHIELD was destroyed in WS so he retconned it back in the most ass pullish way possible.
...except SHIELD has already been brought back by the TV show. SHIELD was revamped under Coulson and given a more public persona. It's just that the Avengers is now a separate entity to SHIELD rather than a part of it.

Also, IT'S A GODDAMN SUPER-HERO MOVIE! DOING THE IMPOSSIBLE IS LITERALLY IN THE TITLE! I'm sorry, but I enjoy it when super heroes can actually GET to be superheroes over them being "super-serious" and thinking that blood, guts, and "kill them all" is mature. And in case you forgot, The Winter Soldier also had Captain America save everyone in the end. Didn't see people complaining then. But wait, it's popular to despise Joss Whedon right now, isn't it?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
xaszatm said:
ekrolo2 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
...except SHIELD has already been brought back by the TV show.
Just goes to show Winter Soldier was no game-changer.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Why do I get a feeling that the post credit scene in Ant-man will be he get an invitation to joined the new Avengers? Also I want to predit that the Black Panther cameo could be he will give sanctum to Steve when the going get tough.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
xaszatm said:
ekrolo2 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Well, it seemed like Nick Fury had to go a few months without owning a Helicarrier
It must have been rough for him...

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
If there was one good thing I could say about Avengers 2, it's that it did a nice job at setting Captain America and Iron Man at odds against each other.
I can't stand when sequels have characters at each others throats after one event that is small in comparison to what happened near the end of the previous movie. At least Avengers 2 it was at that Tony does something stupid, behind almost everyone else's back, and then does it again, once more behind almost everyone else's back, hoping for a different result.
So now even the thickest audience member will have seen(hopefully) that Steve isn't happy with the decisions Tony has made recently.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
DrownedAmmet said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
xaszatm said:
ekrolo2 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Well, it seemed like Nick Fury had to go a few months without owning a Helicarrier
Well, we did get a year long war in the shadows between Shield and Hydra where both factions where recovering from the decapitation (both literal and metaphorical) of their chain of command.

I mean lets face it, Shield was going to reform itself no matter what happened after Winter Soldier due to its nature coupled with the fact it's needed more then ever before. It's just operating out of the shadows now instead of out of a very public skyscraper in DC.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Why do I get a feeling that the post credit scene in Ant-man will be he get an invitation to joined the new Avengers? Also I want to predit that the Black Panther cameo could be he will give sanctum to Steve when the going get tough.
I read Martin Freeman is playing a Black Panther baddy called Everett K. Ross. Though no idea who he is. But this does confirm, if true, that Black Panther is in the movie. An should be more than a cameo. :)

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Zontar said:
DrownedAmmet said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
xaszatm said:
ekrolo2 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Well, we did get a year long war in the shadows between Shield and Hydra where both factions where recovering from the decapitation (both literal and metaphorical) of their chain of command.

I mean lets face it, Shield was going to reform itself no matter what happened after Winter Soldier due to its nature coupled with the fact it's needed more then ever before. It's just operating out of the shadows now instead of out of a very public skyscraper in DC.
Actually, I haven't watched SHIELD season 2 yet, so it might have been covered there. Wish I knew of a way to get caught up on Season 2 without paying a ton of money for it...

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Wow that's a pretty big line up.

But i'm confused...I thought Civil war was one team going up against another, so here is me expecting pretty much everyone (spiderman, thor, some new ones) but all it is here is the new avengers team splitting up with as few more extra's?

That's good, dont get me wrong, suppose i was just hoping it was a bigger scale to really shake the MCU.

Will the events of Civil war carry on into the new Avengers or will everyone of made up by then? xD

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I just wonder who is going to cause said collateral damage. Also, I reaaaalllly hope that reality TV is in no way involved.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
ekrolo2 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
don't blame the continuity for your lack of due diligence. shield was never destroyed. watch AoS.

OT: i'm disappointed that Daredevil isn't showing up. Daredevil was an awesome show.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Dying_Jester said:
If there was one good thing I could say about Avengers 2, it's that it did a nice job at setting Captain America and Iron Man at odds against each other.
I can't stand when sequels have characters at each others throats after one event that is small in comparison to what happened near the end of the previous movie. At least Avengers 2 it was at that Tony does something stupid, behind almost everyone else's back, and then does it again, once more behind almost everyone else's back, hoping for a different result.
So now even the thickest audience member will have seen(hopefully) that Steve isn't happy with the decisions Tony has made recently.
not even just the decisions, but it seemed like the whole movie, those two were having personality clashes as well. it was something that the movie did VERY well. they were subtly butting heads the whole time, with more subtext than just playful ribbing.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The thing I have really enjoyed about this seasons SHIELD is you see the beginnings of the super hero registration act (or whatever they are going to call it). You can see with all the need to "index" enhanced people. I am really looking forward to Cap3 because I want to see that smug little ***** Tony Stark get his ass handed to him. It would be best if it were Thor though, just like in the comics.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I still think Civil War is a mistake. They already tackled two of the major themes of the original story:

- Tony Stark's hubris (Age of Ultron)
- Patriot Act Allegory (Winter Soldier)

Turning Cap's 3rd movie into another Avengers movie just seem wrong to me, idk. I would have preferred another Brubaker-style action/spy movie with Cap, Black Widow, Falcon and Agent 13 looking for Bucky. Maybe use Zemo as the villain or someone and bring whatshisname back as Crossbones.

Rikun

Nov 19, 2009
Spaceman Spiff said:
I just wonder who is going to cause said collateral damage. Also, I reaaaalllly hope that reality TV is in no way involved.
Maybe they're going to address all the damage Hulk cause when they were in Johannesburg plus the utter destruction of Sokovia. Who knows what other cities and nations were decimated as a result?

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
xaszatm said:
ekrolo2 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Yeah, so far unless it involves finding an Infinity Stone or the first Avengers movie, the movies aren't making much of a scratch on their own canon. Winter Soldier in particular left next to no trace on it except making Agents of Shield season 2 a bit better and introducing Falcon/Bucky being alive. Ironman 3 is still the chief offender of changing absolutely nothing, though.

EDIT: Also, 'collateral damage'? I counted Korea getting pretty badly messed up, the African city getting pretty badly damaged and Sokovia LITERALLY ANNIHILATED. BY THOR AND IRONMAN. I mean, shit, SHIELD already has the index, what is there even to register? Just re-instate SHIELD? Im kinda looking forward to the movie but it's gonna have to be a bit... different.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I kind of thought that it would be a given that this movie was going to be a "mini-Avengers" of sorts. Would not be much of a "war" otherwise, though I suppose there still aren't enough characters to bring it to the proportions of the comic. Not that I'm complaining; I think I could do with the conflict being more narrowly focused in the movie.

I believe it was already brought up that secret identities aren't really a thing in the MCU, and SHIELD is more or less transparent (kinda sorta, haven't been keeping up with Agents of Shield) after what happened in Winter Soldier - the conflict will be more about superhero accountability than anything. Which after the Hulk's rampage in Age of Ultron (the consequences of which weren't explored in detail), I am completely down with. I know the comic itself was divisive, but I'm thinking that the movie will mostly be Civil War in name only.