Avengers - Age of Ultron - Great Fun

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Avengers - Age of Ultron - Great Fun

Avengers: Age of Ultron may not live up to the last Marvel Cinematic Universe team-up film, but it doesn't need to in order to be an incredibly enjoyable experience.

Read Full Article

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I have to disagree with the first Avengers being better then Age of Ultron. Sure it was fresh in that it was the first time such a group of heroes was brought together on the big screen in a film which many had thought impossible, but it had a fair deal of pacing issues such as 40 of the first 50 minutes being a drag, and there being plenty of scenes which could have been left out of the film that wouldn't have effected the plot or characterization.

Age of Ultron feels like a more finely tuned machine where the lessons learned from the first Avengers where used to refine the final movie, since despite its runtime it never had a scene which outstayed its welcome.

One thing I am disappointed about is the ending though, which made my whole screening audience either groan, roll their eyes, or in my case yell "oh come on" due to the editing which could not have been unintentional.

Great movie though, I feel as though I'll probably see it at least two more times this month.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Have to agree, the opening scene is definitely a highlight, with all the characters working together, using their synergies to do stuff and such.

What really confused me though were the antagonists.
The twins look and feel like X-Men, which I believe they actually are but also not, propably because copyrights? I don't know, I haven't looked into it too much.
And while Ultron was great, I feel like most of the time he's not too menacing, and a bit too human, which I guess was the point because that was his flaw I guess, but I don't know. He seemed like a nice guy most of the time, and that added something to it as well, but his initial reveal scene was still his best moment.

Still a great movie.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Piorn said:
The twins look and feel like X-Men.
Yes, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are from the X-Men franchise, specifically children of Magneto. 20th Century Fox currently has the rights to everything X-Men and mutant related, so Marvel is skirting around the issue by having them be there but not specifically as mutants.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Zontar said:
One thing I am disappointed about is the ending though, which made my whole screening audience either groan, roll their eyes, or in my case yell "oh come on" due to the editing which could not have been unintentional.
Do you mean the scene where
the original Avengers all leave, and Cap and Widow start training the implied "new" Avengers lineup?
That one had me pretty worried, because I just really don't like any of the characters, and I doubt that group could hold a movie on their own.
Vision could be an interesting take on the Superman story, but other than that?
I guess we'll see in Avengers 3.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Piorn said:
Zontar said:
the original Avengers all leave, and Cap and Widow start training the implied "new" Avengers lineup?
That one had me pretty worried, because I just really don't like any of the characters, and I doubt that group could hold a movie on their own.
Honestly, I'm less concerned about the line-up than the director. I mean, who the hell are they going to get that come even close to Whedon's skill with large ensemble casts? I'll miss the classic Whedonesque banter either way, but will the next one even be able to stand under the weight of it's team size? Whoever they get next is going to have to be godly, and I just don't know who it could be.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Piorn said:
Zontar said:
Close, but no cigar.

It was how at the end, Cap said "Avengers" then is about to say something else, but is cut off by the credits. We all know what he was going to say, we all wanted him to say it, but Joss has us by the balls and left us blue.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Scars Unseen said:
Piorn said:
Zontar said:
Honestly, I'm less concerned about the line-up than the director. I mean, who the hell are they going to get that come even close to Whedon's skill with large ensemble casts? I'll miss the classic Whedonesque banter either way, but will the next one even be able to stand under the weight of it's team size? Whoever they get next is going to have to be godly, and I just don't know who it could be.
Avengers Infinity War parts 1 and 2 will be directed by the Russo Brothers, who directed Captain America: The Winter Soldier and are also making Captain America: Civil War (which is basically a mini-Avengers movie at this point) so I'm not worried. I actually like their work more then Whedon since there are some clichés his work always has which I'm honestly happy to see leave with him.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Scars Unseen said:
The Russo brothers who directed Winter Soldier will direct Avengers 3 as well as Civil War. Also at least I thought the constant joking banter became duller and duller as the movie went on. It's a matter of taste, of course, but I think even the moments when I could've laughed a bit were ruined by the audience chuckling like maniacs in the theatre.

edit: wow those ninja skillz

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I liked Winter Soldier, but do they have any experience with ensemble shows? That's going to be the real problem. Whatever else Whedon brings to his work(yeah, his stuff does have cliches, but they're well executed IMO, and not just thrown in lazily... artfully done might be how I'd put it), he's undeniably experienced and skilled at juggling large casts of characters.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Piorn said:
What really confused me though were the antagonists.
The twins look and feel like X-Men, which I believe they actually are but also not, propably because copyrights? I don't know, I haven't looked into it too much.
And while Ultron was great, I feel like most of the time he's not too menacing, and a bit too human, which I guess was the point because that was his flaw I guess, but I don't know. He seemed like a nice guy most of the time, and that added something to it as well, but his initial reveal scene was still his best moment.

Still a great movie.
To be honest I think the Twins do more to be awesome in action scenes and good in characterisation (despite Whedon's trademark single character-itis) than the X-Men do in their own films. Though that may be because I love telekenesis and the fast movement thing Quicksilver does. We just need an equivalent of Blink in the next Avengers to make things even more awesome.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Slycne said:
Piorn said:
The twins look and feel like X-Men.
Yes, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are from the X-Men franchise, specifically children of Magneto. 20th Century Fox currently has the rights to everything X-Men and mutant related, so Marvel is skirting around the issue by having them be there but not specifically as mutants.

Nope there're not Magneto's children anymore in fact originally they weren't then ret-conned to being his kids and now have been ret-conned back to not being his kids "comic's are weird".

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Scars Unseen said:
I liked Winter Soldier, but do they have any experience with ensemble shows? That's going to be the real problem. Whatever else Whedon brings to his work(yeah, his stuff does have cliches, but they're well executed IMO, and not just thrown in lazily... artfully done might be how I'd put it), he's undeniably experienced and skilled at juggling large casts of characters.

We will get to see in Civil War as the cast so far is

- Captain America
- Iron Man
- Black Widow
- Black Panther
- Scarlet Witch
- Spiderman
- Vision
- Falcon
- War Machine
- Hawkeye
- Ant-Man
- Wasp
- Baron Zemo
- Crossbones
- Winter Soldier

That lot more than Age of Ultron.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Piorn said:
The twins look and feel like X-Men, which I believe they actually are but also not, propably because copyrights?.
They're Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Currently, Fox has the movies rights to not just The X-Men, but to entire concept of Mutants as a whole. There are some loopholes to this, however, such as Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch being considered Avengers characters more-so than X-Men. As such, they can use the characters, but they cannot make any reference to them being Mutants (since Fox has the movie rights to that concept), and they cannot make any reference to Magneto (since Fox has the movie rights to his character). Hence why Captain refers to them as "Enhances" when they show-up on the battlefield. In a better world where movie studios can learn how to collaborate, he would have just referred to them as "Mutants", which I think would have been so much better.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Zontar said:
Piorn said:
Zontar said:
Close, but no cigar.

It was how at the end, Cap said "Avengers" then is about to say something else, but is cut off by the credits. We all know what he was going to say, we all wanted him to say it, but Joss has us by the balls and left us blue.
I agree completely. It was kind of a dick move. Hopefully they get enough flack for it that they add it in for the Bluray/DVD release.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
wow, i'm so glad i'm not the only one who felt the joss whedon humor was laid on a little thick this time around. don't get me wrong, i loved it, and i laughed at most of it, but at a point it started to feel less like a marvel movie and more like a joss whedon movie. the first avengers found a better balance.

of course my biggest concerns going forward are
It seems as though they were finding ways to write Iron Man, Hulk, and Hawkeye out entirely. Tony talks about retiring on a farm with pepper, Hulk flies away, and Hawkeye makes that promise that the floor will be "his last project". honestly, Iron Man kicked this whole thing off and it would be a mistake to lose him now.

also, did they kill off quicksilver just as a middle finger to fox?

That1Guy

Apr 3, 2013
My main complaint with AoU is this: Ultron shouldn't have been funny. Seriously, his dialogue had some great lines but then they just ended up being undermined by him doing something kinda stupid (ie: his banter with Stark on the boat). Quite frankly the whole movie should have had significantly less one-liners in general, but even the one-liners the had would have been acceptable had the freaking villain not been one of the ones cracking them. Ultron seemed like a much better villain in the trailers, dark and sinister and complex, but he ended up being (character wise) almost indistinguishable from most of the other characters in the film, except he wanted to blow up the planet. Hopefully Avengers 3 fixes the "humor saturatation" issue since Whedon will no longer be involved.

Also, I felt like they threw Iron Man vs. Hulk in just because. They really should have saved that particular fight for a potential future movie where the Hulk actually goes apeshit instead of just being under telekinetic influence. Or at least had this movie focus more on that dynamic than it really did.

However, Hawkeye was great, as was the very visible tension between Stark and Rogers. I can't wait for Civil War.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
For the first time since the first Avengers film Marvel didn't seem to imply some form of bigotry where somehow it was implied that only Christianity was somehow the one true religion when compared to Norse Mythology. Then later on might've left some wiggle room just in case.

I got myself mad in the first Avengers film when Cap declare that God doesn't dress like that when referring to Thor. Now I don't have a problem with the idea that Captain America is Christian. But someone who is representing America in such a way shouldn't be putting their religion above others like its somehow the truth.

Then in Thor 2, Odin declared that the Norse Gods weren't Gods. Because they grow old & die. That just seemed like a pretty week argument. But it was also one that could imply that the Christian god is a real god because he isn't affected by time.

Now for the spoilers for why I think Avengers 2 finally took a dig at Christianity & how they might've left some wiggle room.
So Ultron had some habit of referring to Christian beliefs like Noah's Flood. During such statements no one he was talking to tried to defend the bible by acting like it was out of context. At best he was declared to be sick.

Later on wiggle room is left starting where Thor has to hit the container Vision was in. Near the end of the movie some of the Avengers then start talking about how some greater evil had set all of this up. Then during the credits you have Thanos stating that if he wants something done right he has to do it himself.

And from that it could be implied that maybe Ultron didn't truly have control over Ultron's actions. If maybe Thanos could have somehow remotely controlled Ultron into taking the bible out of context. (Which as far as I'm concerned it didn't.)

Then again The Marvel Universe also has The Savage Lands where man & dinosaurs co exist. If they don't retcon that into something similar to Jurassic Park when it comes to these movies.... Well.... I'm not going to be comfortable with the idea that The Marvel Universe will somehow remain like The Flintstones with an older & younger audience.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
martyrdrebel27 said:
also, did they kill off quicksilver just as a middle finger to fox?

Actually Aaron Taylor-Johnson the guy who played Quicksilver only agreed to play Quicksilver if he only had to do it for one film.

There's a rumour that the reason for that condition was he talked to Chris Evans who as has been known for a while regrets agreeing to a multi film deal in the first place advised him not to (Can't stress enough that this is a rumour only).

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
Scars Unseen said:

We will get to see in Civil War as the cast so far is

- Captain America
- Iron Man
- Black Widow
- Black Panther
- Scarlet Witch
- Spiderman
- Vision
- Falcon
- War Machine
- Hawkeye
- Ant-Man
- Wasp
- Baron Zemo
- Crossbones
- Winter Soldier

That lot more than Age of Ultron.
Excellent. So what is their experience with ensemble shows that we've seen. My future vision isn't so good these days.