Avengers Impressions - Marvel Presents.....Anthem

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I know the joke of these videos is that the BF is the gamer but the GF is apparently there for the ride so she's going into it more or less blind. Now, how much of that is true and how much of that is for the sake of the joke I don't know. I don't know why the Boyfriend would be unaware of it though.
Well she comes from a different background, more music and theater as a kid. She wasn't a gamer nerd, she was a bandy nerd. So a lot of the stuff is genuinely new to her, as it just wasn't stuff she ever paid attention to. But yeah I do think the boyfriend part is a bit weird, as he seems like the kind of guy that checks out the alternate medias for further information on the things he loves. I mean I just turned 44 a few days ago, and I have zero social media presence, and even I'm aware of a lot of these things just from tangential news clips on youtube suggestions, and cultural osmosis.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
*shrugs* From what I've been able to gather, the people not familiar with Ms. Marvel are mostly people who don't read the comics, and seek out the non-MCU content out there. Not sure how well this holds up, as I consider myself mostly in that camp, as I rarely read any comics anymore, but I've been aware of Ms. Marvel for...shit what, a decade now? How long as she been in publication? 2014 first appearance of Kamala Khan. Granted, I have a soft spot for legacy stories, so when I see a news blurb like "young muslim girl becomes the new ms. marvel" it tends to catch my attention to see what they do with it. Same thing for Miles Morales with spiderman.

But, it's feasible that a large percentage of people who love the MCU, and that's measured in the millions, if not billions at this point, globally, are not comic fans. As evidenced by the nowhere near as good sales of the comics, compared to the films. So, I guess she could be new to a lot of people? *shrugs*
I am aware that for a lot of newbies, this is Kamala Khan's huge exposure to the mainstream. This is her second video game appearance though. Her first video game appearance was in marvel ultimate alliance 3. That would have been her big break, but, a.) It was a Switch exclusive, and b.) She wasn't a main focus character.

I remember when Khan first showed up. I was at a book's a million in my neighborhood, and I saw her first issue on a hardcover. In 2014 like you said, in my reactions was more or less: "This is curious"(Vergil voice). I was happy with her creation and did not mind, similar to Miles. There will always be a need for a new generation of heroes.

I don't know why the Boyfriend would be unaware of it though
Yeah, that's what doesn't make sense to me. Cuz I think both are serious. Either he was not paying attention or he was intentionally trying to block out the memory.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well she comes from a different background, more music and theater as a kid. She wasn't a gamer nerd, she was a bandy nerd. So a lot of the stuff is genuinely new to her, as it just wasn't stuff she ever paid attention to. But yeah I do think the boyfriend part is a bit weird, as he seems like the kind of guy that checks out the alternate medias for further information on the things he loves. I mean I just turned 44 a few days ago, and I have zero social media presence, and even I'm aware of a lot of these things just from tangential news clips on youtube suggestions, and cultural osmosis.
Happy birthday to you!

🎂🍧🍨

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I am aware that for a lot of newbies, this is Kamala Khan's huge exposure to the mainstream. This is her second video game appearance though. Her first video game appearance was in marvel ultimate alliance 3. That would have been her big break, but, a.) It was a Switch exclusive, and b.) She wasn't a main focus character.
See I've never even heard of the game at all, as I have zero connection to fighting games. So if her only other media presence, outside of the very insular comic issues circles, was that fighting game, then yeah, I could see people not being aware of her. I honestly thought this was her first game appearance ever, until you said that. So I guess it is dependent on what media you tune into.

I remember when Khan first showed up. I was at a book's a million in my neighborhood, and I saw her first issue on a hardcover. In 2014 like you said, in my reactions was more or less: "This is curious"(Vergil voice). I was happy with her creation and did not mind, similar to Miles. There will always be a need for a new generation of heroes.
That's the funny thing about comics, and the "need for new heroes", because honestly, you don't need new ones. You can publish comics about the same handful of heroes for close to...damn a century now for ones like superman. It's apparently a perfectly feasible business model, to just rehash the same people over and over, for a new generation. Since they don't actually age, they can live forever in the comics. Which does make legacy stuff odd, since there is no imperative to replace an aging hero. I most certainly WANT them, because I get really tired, really quick of the serial nature of comics, and how everything is kept in a status quo. There will always be an aunt mae that needs saving, peter will always be struggling to pay rent, etc. He might deviate for a short run in this era or that one, due to a particular writer having a story they want to do, but they always hit the reset button in some way, and go back to factory settings. At least with new heroes, there is a longer period where their stories are new, as they are in the process of establishing their default settings that will hold for years.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
See I've never even heard of the game at all, as I have zero connection to fighting games.
You are thinking of Marvel versus Capcom (which had Carol Danvers Captain Marvel in MVC Infinite). which is either 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 tag fighters depending on the game. The Ultimate Alliance games are isometric brawlers.

See I've never even heard of the game at all, as I have zero connection to fighting games. So if her only other media presence, outside of the very insular comic issues circles, was that fighting game, then yeah, I could see people not being aware of her. I honestly thought this was her first game appearance ever, until you said that. So I guess it is dependent on what media you tune into.

That's the funny thing about comics, and the "need for new heroes", because honestly, you don't need new ones. You can publish comics about the same handful of heroes for close to...damn a century now for ones like superman. It's apparently a perfectly feasible business model, to just rehash the same people over and over, for a new generation. Since they don't actually age, they can live forever in the comics. Which does make legacy stuff odd, since there is no imperative to replace an aging hero. I most certainly WANT them, because I get really tired, really quick of the serial nature of comics, and how everything is kept in a status quo. There will always be an aunt mae that needs saving, peter will always be struggling to pay rent, etc. He might deviate for a short run in this era or that one, due to a particular writer having a story they want to do, but they always hit the reset button in some way, and go back to factory settings. At least with new heroes, there is a longer period where their stories are new, as they are in the process of establishing their default settings that will hold for years.
When I meant a new age of heroes, I was not just referring to comic books. Now I'm not saying the old hero should be pushed away, but there always be a need for a new or different set of heroes. The old ones will always be there too. Regardless if it's marvel, dc, or the anime and manga business. TVs or movies. A new generation will always either adapt to the old Heroes and get new ones included.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
When I meant a new age of heroes, I was not just referring to comic books. Now I'm not saying the old hero should be pushed away, but there always be a need for a new or different set of heroes. The old ones will always be there too. Regardless if it's marvel, dc, or the anime and manga business. TVs or movies. A new generation will always either adapt to the old Heroes and get new ones included.
Oh I agree, it's always good to have changing content, and not letting things stagnate. And legacy stories, where they literally have a hero pass the torch to someone new, are some of my favorite styles of storytelling. I just was thinking about the unique nature of how comics are essentially timeless, as the background events of various heroes just get moved forward. Like how Iron Man didn't get injured during Vietnam, it's now the War on Terror. It's just an interesting aspect to how they function, outside of the actual effects of time.

I just really enjoy the idea of focusing on a character, who grows up in a world with those characters that we love. Audience insert aside, it's just an interesting setup for a character. I mean, for Miles Morales, the fact that he was a huge fan of spiderman, was a BIG part of his origin story, and played directly into his eventual motivations to become a hero. So I always find it fun and interesting. They can sometimes shit the bed with the execution of it, for example I found female thor to be incredibly bad, but not because she's a woman, or taking thor's place. I just thought they did it terribly.

When I heard they were introducing a femthor, the image in my head of HOW that would play out, was fucking awesome. I was genuinely hoping for it to be some random nobody female warrior. Like, a massive asgardian battle against some bigass enemy, and thor goes down, possibly dead (but not really of course, comic books!). The tide of the battle begins to shift against the heroes, the camera focuses in on the rank and file members, possibly one of the valkyries, and they are charging to try and recover thor. They fight and fight, and fight and fight and fight....falling, left and right, the pov warrior, is knocked down, stunned from a massive blow. She lays there amidst her fallen allies, silhouetted bodies, and hilts of weapons littered around her. Blindly she reaches out, to at least die fighting, the camera focuses in on just her hand on a hilt....and then BOOM. Bolt of lightning comes down on her, and she's standing there, transformed into Thor. She proceeds to beat the shit out of the badguy, and wins the day for everyone. The aftermath ensues, celebrating victory, honoring the dead, scratching of heads about why the hell mjolnir chose her, but overall just happy to have saved the day against a Big Bad. Then, the final shot, is the woman in her quarters, sitting on her bed at night, a shaft of light from outside the only illumination. She sits there, holding mjolnir, looking at the inscription. "If they be worthy" She frowns, an expression of doubt on her face, as she struggles with why the weapon thinks she's worthy, when she herself isn't sure. End of issue one of femthor.

But...no...they didn't do that. They just, did...something else. Something...far less enjoyable.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Looks like they are delaying next gen AND the DLC (rip Spiderman). Most likely in an attempt to figure out how the fuck to fix the game and make people actually give a shit about it. We'll see how that works for them.
Oh such sweet irony. I do not know why they're even bothering, they're just going to waste more money down the drain. It is up to you now Miles. Be great.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Remember this guys? Remember when people were upset about Spider-Man coming only to Playstation (the console for winners obviously)?

Well guess what? That web-slinger fucker aint nowhere to be seen and he is still so FAR from release, that bastard aint even on the roadmap!

So as I predicted, by the time Spidey comes slinging out, nobody will give a flying fuck about it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So as I predicted, by the time Spidey comes slinging out, nobody will give a flying fuck about it.
I would bet several American dollars on the release being absolutely half-assed, due to Crystal Dynamics wanting to dump the game because of it being a money siphon but contractual obligations to Sony forcing them to get Spidey-Boy out.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Remember this guys? Remember when people were upset about Spider-Man coming only to Playstation (the console for winners obviously)?

Well guess what? That web-slinger fucker aint nowhere to be seen and he is still so FAR from release, that bastard aint even on the roadmap!

That's assuming it's still even running by that point.

I'm honestly kinda shocked it's still going as it is.

Then again, I'm still at a loss to understand how most GaaS make any fucking money at all. You've got a couple that seem to do really well(Destiny and apparently the Division) and then the rest just kind face plant and die in short order.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That's assuming it's still even running by that point.

I'm honestly kinda shocked it's still going as it is.

Then again, I'm still at a loss to understand how most GaaS make any fucking money at all. You've got a couple that seem to do really well(Destiny and apparently the Division) and then the rest just kind face plant and die in short order.
The thing that these live service games don't seem to understand is that a roadmap of content is not in itself content. No one gives a shit about your plans for the game 3 years from now if there's nothing to do in it a week after launch. They get so wrapped up in creating future plans for the game and getting their microtransactions up and running that they never think about what people are supposed to DO in the game while waiting for the roadmap to actually be fulfilled.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The thing that these live service games don't seem to understand is that a roadmap of content is not in itself content. No one gives a shit about your plans for the game 3 years from now if there's nothing to do in it a week after launch. They get so wrapped up in creating future plans for the game and getting their microtransactions up and running that they never think about what people are supposed to DO in the game while waiting for the roadmap to actually be fulfilled.
Exactly why I stick with single player games with an end goal in mind. "Live service" games are nothing more than glorified time wasters without the effort and hoping everyone has an attention span that long. Recurrent user spending and user engagement my ass. If I have to treat a game like work in order to have fun, than you missed the point. I will throw your game on to the freeway for the case and disc to be crushed, if given the chance.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Exactly why I stick with single player games with an end goal in mind. "Live service" games are nothing more than glorified time wasters without the effort and hoping everyone has an attention span that long. Recurrent user spending and user engagement my ass. If I have to treat a game like work in order to have fun, than you missed the point. I will throw your game on to the freeway for the case and disc to be crushed, of given chance.
I think live service type games do work in a competitive multiplayer context, like for fortnight or call of duty where they have the seasons of content. I don't think it's very good for games where the content is supposed to be coop or single player focused because there's not enough variety of content there to keep replaying the same missions over and over again and still find it engaging.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think live service type games do work in a competitive multiplayer context, like for fortnight or call of duty where they have the seasons of content.
Even for games like that, they do nothing for me. I know it works, but I was never big in to competitive multiplayer to begin with. Waste time and money for me personally. Plus I hate Epic and Activision's guts. The only time I enjoyed anything tangibly related to Fornite is my man Azzerz. Dude is an amazing comedian and is now the new voice for Cleveland Brown in Family Guy. I still hate FG, yet I am happy for Azzerz's success and wonderful talent.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I think live service type games do work in a competitive multiplayer context, like for fortnight or call of duty where they have the seasons of content. I don't think it's very good for games where the content is supposed to be coop or single player focused because there's not enough variety of content there to keep replaying the same missions over and over again and still find it engaging.

Eh, it depends on the moment-to-moment and/or mechanical depth.

Like Monster Hunter gets by fine with people still playing it ages after release for instance (and also doesn't have particularly notable microtransactions). Warframe or Diablo/Path of Exile there's still more mechnics to mix and match and run through.

Avengers was a pretty base line brawler, with no indicators of anything but a relatively linear gear system. I don't 100% know how the "endgame" plays out, whatever it may be, having only played the demo. But I could contrast that even with Outriders, where at least I could see a moderately dense skill tree, and the demo included some items that were actually modifiying the gameplay of abilities and such.