Awesome game cutscenes.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
As someone who has seen the rest of Kojima's work I have to say that Twin Snakes was his apology for how limited he was by the technology he had to make MGS. And my explanation for all the derision and snarky hatred for it... GameCube hate. It was an exclusive, PS 2 people were butthurt and invented a petty reason to turn their nose up at it and it caught on.
I think a small part of it is how Kojima looked at the translation given the original game, the hard work the translator put in keeping the flavour, feel and flow of the dialogue...

And got UPSET that the translator had 'changed' things and insisted on a 'more accurate' translation that ended up being worse than the original.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I raise you the two coolest cutscenes for Warhammer Fantasy. Watch 'em and weep, sucka!

I see those Warhammer Fantasy trailers and raise you the Prophet & Warlock trailer:

Lizardman: I gots stealthy boi with stick
Skaven: I gots gatling gunz!

Lizardman Prophet: I gots... ORBITAL LAYZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

Skaven Warlock: I GOTS TACTICAL NUKES!!!

(and Predator reference, obvs)

In general, the intro for the Skaven was deliciously/maliciously epic, too.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
The battle of the Citadel from Mass Effect.

Specifically if you choose to save the council and you get that amazing musical score as the human fleet arrives to save the Destiny Ascension.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Have some early 40k game intros.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
As someone who has seen the rest of Kojima's work I have to say that Twin Snakes was his apology for how limited he was by the technology he had to make MGS. And my explanation for all the derision and snarky hatred for it... GameCube hate. It was an exclusive, PS 2 people were butthurt and invented a petty reason to turn their nose up at it and it caught on.
Or maybe they just really don't like how things got changed, like I do. The voice acting is worse, and the cutscenes look flat. It also doesn't help that this game came out after MGS2, yet somehow looks worse. MGS1 is also the one entry in the series that has some humility, because Kojima got restricted by technology. It's one of its best qualities.

REmake was a Gamecube exclussive as well and it belonged to a franchise that previously was exclussive to the Playstation, and it didn't get any grief. Probably because it was actually good.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
REmake was a Gamecube exclussive as well and it belonged to a franchise that previously was exclussive to the Playstation, and it didn't get any grief. Probably because it was actually good.
Don't forget the nes metal gear games, but even those started on the MSX2 before being ported.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
It feels like a gimme, and spoiler alert (for a decade old game), but the reveal scene in Bioshock always blew me away. The voice acting, the leadup, the walkthough and reveal. Even knowing how it goes the scene always gets to me - I went from shock at the reveal the first time I watched it to crushing tension the second time I saw it. There weren't any insane visuals or crazy effects, just pure writing.

Also, the introduction to Rapture. Beautiful and haunting. You can get caught up in how cool everything looks and still just smell there's something off. And then it goes really wrong.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Or maybe they just really don't like how things got changed, like I do. The voice acting is worse, and the cutscenes look flat. It also doesn't help that this game came out after MGS2, yet somehow looks worse. MGS1 is also the one entry in the series that has some humility, because Kojima got restricted by technology. It's one of its best qualities.

I guess I get that, and I kind of understand. Problem is, when I got Twin Snakes and played it, it was a time when I wasn't really all that "online" plugged in and not following games and games reviews and reaction. And I thought it was a great remake, every difference I saw as an improvement. Cutscenes and voice acting as well. So, is it possible I just didn't know I was "supposed" to hate it and was simply judging it on its own merits?

And the graphics quality? I wasn't expecting a remake of a PS1 era game to look as good as a developed for the current gen PS2 game. I was expecting it to look like remakes or updates of the time, better than the original but not as polished as games originally developed for the current gen systems. It falls directly into that completely expected category.

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Raiden and Armstrong discussing politics and beating each other up before the final boss fight of Metal Gear Rising is pure video game cutscene kino.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So in terms of cutscenes there are too many to list.

But for a slightly different angle how about some fancy tech trailers -

If you have a good subwoofer, this should be especially pleasing

Dat music

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Ok here's a more appropriately on-topic one that I arrived at recently -

Might just be my favorite cutscene in all of SoulsBorne. But I still haven't fought the final boss or ventured far in Ringed City yet either.