Awesome In Media, Terrifying In Real Life

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Lilani said:
Then there's the guilt that comes with knowing they were all people once, and knowing that even if you die protecting someone they might not be safe from you, and they may be forced to live with the guilt of putting you down.
Suddenly I realize the advantage of not having close friends and a caring family! =D

OT: Dark Souls / Demon's Souls. As cool as the whole coming back after dying thing would be, I can't even imagine how horrifying dying to *insert any Souls boss* would be. Maybe you'd get used to it over time. Ugh...

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Lilani said:
Zombies, and the zombie apocalypse in general. They're cool in The Walking Dead and all, but REALLY living in a world with no comforts and a slim chance of survival would just suck in ways us soft, spoiled first world country dwellers cannot even comprehend. Then there's the guilt that comes with knowing they were all people once, and knowing that even if you die protecting someone they might not be safe from you, and they may be forced to live with the guilt of putting you down.

Just...so much suck, and so much fear.
A zombie apocalypse would be an irresponsible relief, because we would no longer be responsible for the fate of the world. Regardless of the optimistic "repopulate the human race" tone frequently taken in zombie mythology, an actual zombie apocalypse would destroy human civilization.

The hope for a "natural disaster" like zombies is so that humans have something else to blame for the world's troubles. So it's not my own over-consumption of resources fueling global warming that's the problem - it's zombies. It's not my unwillingness to stop corporations and governments from causing death and misery in the world that's the problem - it's zombies. Zombies are the Fall Guy so that wealthy humans instead of killing and dominating poor brown-skinned people from the Middle East can feel good about "blowing the head off" of zombies.

Dick Cheney already feels good about "saving Western civilization from the forces of darkness" - just think how good he'd feel if he was ACTUALLY saving humans from zombies.

Just think how good all the arms manufacturers would feel. Instead of selling arms so that a wealthy country can more fully dominate a poor one, arms manufacturers can go on TV and promote themselves - step right up and get your weapon of choice, the more zombie-murder the better! No more gun control! Guns for all!

Militiamen in the United States twiddling their thumbs waiting for the Uprising can finally pull their heads out of their asses and smile - finally a reason for their existence - zombie murder!

Zombies aren't a problem, they're a solution to the problems that wealthy people have. Imagine if Palestinians could be transformed into zombies. Zionists could then murder them without the international community being bothered by it. Imagine if poor people in the United States could be transformed into zombies. Now instead of the Koch brothers funding the Tea Party they could just fund militias to hunt down and murder all the people they wanted to murder previously but couldn't get away with.

Imagine if Trayvon Martin was a zombie. Now George Zimmerman can kill him and instead of having legal troubles would enjoy a pint at the local bar with friends afterward.

Zombies are a dream, a fantasy, a desire, that wealthy people have for what they hope poor people become. Right now they have to pretend the genocide in the Congo doesn't exist - how much better would it be if the genocide was celebrated the world over because the victims were zombies?

Do you think Rupert Murdoch likes being the Star Wars Emperor? Don't you think he'd rather be the hero than the villain? Zombies are the solution.

Hitler dehumanized Jews, gypsies, and cripples - only in Hitler's greatest dreams could he begin by transforming Jews, gypsies, and cripples into zombies, so that the world would applaud as he sent those "monsters" to the gas chamber.

Hurricane Katrina was a godsend for wealthy people, allowing them to "cleanse" the city of poor black people - a zombie apocalypse would be Hurricane Katrina on a global scale, allowing the "humans", by which is meant wealthy people, to cleanse the entire world of "zombies", by which is meant poor people.

To "repopulate the human race" one must first begin by killing everything that isn't human. Who decides who is and who is not human? Who has the capabilities to transform poor people into zombies?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Kerethos said:
When shoots wildly during a car chase, people in surrounding cars, buildings or just in the general area will probably catch stray bullets and possibly die.
My favourite example is from Watchmen, where they go to save people from a fire in the middle of the city, and bring down a water tank down on the top of the burning building, by shooting it's supports with a minigun.

Something like 6,000 7.62NATO rounds a minute being sprayed into the city they are using as a backstop (though they didn't fire for a whole minute, IIRC)

briankoontz said:
A zombie apocalypse would be an irresponsible relief, because we would no longer be responsible for the fate of the world. Regardless of the optimistic "repopulate the human race" tone frequently taken in zombie mythology, an actual zombie apocalypse would destroy human civilization.

The hope for a "natural disaster" like zombies is so that humans have something else to blame for the world's troubles. So it's not my own over-consumption of resources fueling global warming that's the problem - it's zombies. It's not my unwillingness to stop corporations and governments from causing death and misery in the world that's the problem - it's zombies. Zombies are the Fall Guy so that wealthy humans instead of killing and dominating poor brown-skinned people from the Middle East can feel good about "blowing the head off" of zombies.

Dick Cheney already feels good about "saving Western civilization from the forces of darkness" - just think how good he'd feel if he was ACTUALLY saving humans from zombies.

Just think how good all the arms manufacturers would feel. Instead of selling arms so that a wealthy country can more fully dominate a poor one, arms manufacturers can go on TV and promote themselves - step right up and get your weapon of choice, the more zombie-murder the better! No more gun control! Guns for all!

Militiamen in the United States twiddling their thumbs waiting for the Uprising can finally pull their heads out of their asses and smile - finally a reason for their existence - zombie murder!

Zombies aren't a problem, they're a solution to the problems that wealthy people have. Imagine if Palestinians could be transformed into zombies. Zionists could then murder them without the international community being bothered by it. Imagine if poor people in the United States could be transformed into zombies. Now instead of the Koch brothers funding the Tea Party they could just fund militias to hunt down and murder all the people they wanted to murder previously but couldn't get away with.

Imagine if Trayvon Martin was a zombie. Now George Zimmerman can kill him and instead of having legal troubles would enjoy a pint at the local bar with friends afterward.

Zombies are a dream, a fantasy, a desire, that wealthy people have for what they hope poor people become. Right now they have to pretend the genocide in the Congo doesn't exist - how much better would it be if the genocide was celebrated the world over because the victims were zombies?

Do you think Rupert Murdoch likes being the Star Wars Emperor? Don't you think he'd rather be the hero than the villain? Zombies are the solution.

Hitler dehumanized Jews, gypsies, and cripples - only in Hitler's greatest dreams could he begin by transforming Jews, gypsies, and cripples into zombies, so that the world would applaud as he sent those "monsters" to the gas chamber.

Hurricane Katrina was a godsend for wealthy people, allowing them to "cleanse" the city of poor black people - a zombie apocalypse would be Hurricane Katrina on a global scale, allowing the "humans", by which is meant wealthy people, to cleanse the entire world of "zombies", by which is meant poor people.

To "repopulate the human race" one must first begin by killing everything that isn't human. Who decides who is and who is not human? Who has the capabilities to transform poor people into zombies?
Very much this...excepting snarky comments about Zimmerman thinking that's what would happen, that almost happening, and him now being a well known celebrity on reality TV anyway.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Judge Dredd; GAZE INTO THE FIST OF DREDD I AM THE LAW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH.

Oh wait, basically the GestapoStasi but not at all secret.

Also boredom is the leading cause of crime.

Emanuele Ciriachi

Jun 6, 2013
Keoul said:
hell people don't even want free healthcare for people in America, why would they have free healthcare for pets?
There is no such thing as a free lunch.

As for the thread, I could hardly contain my excitement in a zombie apocalypse scenario... despite the fact that yes, it would totally suck for most people.

Also, war in general.

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
FPLOON said:
Honorable mention to summing one's Persona... because it still sounds more awesome than terrifying to do in real life... (unless you get scared easily, I guess...)
Depends on which game you're talking about.

Persona 1 and 2 involve the contact system, which meant talking to demons/monsters/etc and getting them to help you with items/their service (depending on if it's 1 or 2). However, by being given the ability by Philemon himself, you essentially had the Wild Card and could have multiple Personas.
Persona 3 used the Evokers, which forced you to be scared/fear death to summon your persona.
Persona 4 and the Tarot cards seems to be the less traumatic, and is even mentioned by the Persona 3 characters (in Arena) that the Tarot cards feel far more natural; the Evoker use being on par with dragging it out kicking and screaming. Unfortunately, to get one this way, you would need to face your Shadow or be granted one by a god or goddess.

HOWEVER, I will agree that the context of summoning a Persona could be scary; as you could be fighting monsters or god-like entities. I would not wanna face off against Ameno-Sagiri.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
any apocalypse/armagadon/end of the world scenario

http://www.cracked.com/article_21251_5-things-every-movie-gets-wrong-about-apocalypse.html

I particularly like the line how anyone who makes a week or so past the event will "find themselves inceptioned into Michael Bay's most erotic dream"

shit the zombies/robots/aliens/etc would be the least of your worries. but it is called the apocalypse for a reason.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Call of Duty.

A civilization that is permanently brainwashed to have the Marvel Comics mindbug for the U.S. - IE, 'GOTTA INVADE AMERICA, DON'T KNOW WHY, BUT WE GOTTA DO IT'

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Anything with mechs.

Me toward a mech show "Oh cool! That mech is so awesome with it's firepower!"

Me toward mech in real life "Oh god why did they build a war machine that is so brutal with its firepower??!!"

I can somewhat see myself being the civilian that get caught in a crossfire in one of those Gundam shows.
But what if you could be the one in the cockpit?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Drake the Dragonheart said:
Scarim Coral said:
Anything with mechs.

Me toward mech in real life "Oh god why did they build a war machine that is so brutal with its firepower??!!"

I can somewhat see myself being the civilian that get caught in a crossfire in one of those Gundam shows.
I would then view myself as dead man walking well inside a mech size coffin/ tombstone. Also no I'm not a soldier who drive a vehicle in real life.
The last thing I want to see before I get killed is being in a confined space where the electronic buttons and screens get all blown up or melted on my face!

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Drake the Dragonheart said:
Scarim Coral said:
Anything with mechs.

I would then view myself as dead man walking well inside a mech size coffin/ tombstone. Also no I'm not a soldier who drive a vehicle in real life.
The last thing I want to see before I get killed is being in a confined space where the electronic buttons and screens get all blown up or melted on my face!
I want to serve so badly but for reasons I'd rather not discuss I can't, at least not unless some huge medical/technological breakthrough happens in the near future. If I could do so from the cockpit of a battlemech, even better. When Pentecost asks Raleigh Beckett "where would you rather die, here or in a Jaeger?" my answer would be in a Jaeger, no question!

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
Warhammer 40000. Yes, it's a black comedy satire parody GRIMDARK, but it's also just about the worst place imaginable. This is where the Catholic Space Nazis are the good guys, for Emperor's sake.
I was going to say you were wrong, but then I remember a spell of the Orks which literally summon a f*cking collosus hand or foot and coming down from the sky to kill their enemies.

Also, do you know how the Orks can create the weapons in WH4k? With Magic. They are so determined they can create weapon which of course their magic kick in and that way they can create weapons.......
For example if an Ork believe he can create a machine gun out of puppies [they are not so stupid, but I am just saying...], HE CAN!

So yeah, this is f*cking stupid, even if this is heresy for saying this.....