Aye, Sir: Captain Picard To Be Knighted in New Year

Apone

Jan 13, 2008
Jadak said:
I have no respect for royalty, but I can't argue with this...

On second thought, the fact that mere race car drivers are also getting Knighted takes all the prestige out of this. Picard deserves something better than being grouped with those nobodies.
For a start Racing drivers of that caliber (i.e F1 Champions) are a rare and talented breed and secondly congratulating them in this way further emphasises the sports contribution to innovation in technology by recognising its victors.
Also Jenson Button didn't get Knighted, he got an MBE. So he didn't get the same level recognition that Sir Stuart did and deserved.
Nobodies... tosh.

Apone

Jan 13, 2008
Orders of the British Empire:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_British_Empire

Syl4r

Nov 15, 2009
Best. Knighthood. Ever.
He is one of the best actors ever and is just oh so awesome. My dad was lucky enough to meet him once a star trek convention and he said he was really nice :S

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
Only Brits can be Knighted and use the title Sir. Non-brits gets honourary titles which they can't use, unless you want to start saying Sir Bill Gates.

Most awards are just political devices now in order to win favour with the public. They should go back to being military medals and awarded to people who contributed greatly to Britain and the world. It doesn't seem right giving awards to such as sports people who did particularly well in one championship.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Apone said:
Jadak said:
I have no respect for royalty, but I can't argue with this...

On second thought, the fact that mere race car drivers are also getting Knighted takes all the prestige out of this. Picard deserves something better than being grouped with those nobodies.
For a start Racing drivers of that caliber (i.e F1 Champions) are a rare and talented breed and secondly congratulating them in this way further emphasises the sports contribution to innovation in technology by recognising its victors.

Also Jenson Button didn't get Knighted, he got an MBE. So he didn't get the same level recognition that Sir Stuart did and deserved.
Nobodies... tosh.
You seem to be treating my post as if it were based on facts, rather than the mere disregard/disrespect for NASCAR as a 'sport' that it is.

Brnin8

Jul 17, 2009
Does this mean all his movie credits will be for Sir Patrick Stewart (that would be friggin' awesome) or will he still be credited as Patrick Stewart, I don't know how it works with movie credits personally.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
To become a "Sir" you just ahve to be knighted by the king or queen of any soveirgn nation. But as Monarchies are on the way out, I beleive there are only around 20 countries with a king or queen in power, That would be a challenge.

Patrick Stewart rocks...

ben117

Sep 2, 2009
its realy strange since i only found out today he only lives off borough in southwark, i thought he lived in america

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Grayjack72 said:
Why doesn't Kirk get knighted?
He has no talent, can barely speak, and the adoration of thousands of nerds doesn't mean so much as a bucket of shit (or KFC, same thing).

There are people FAR better than Shatner to knight, none the least of which would be;
Edward James Olmos
Summer Glau
Clint Eastwood
Trey Parker
Sir Ian McKellen (A second knighting: One for Gandalf, one for Magneto)
Robert Asprin (Deceased unfortunately)
Robert A Heinlein (Deceased as well)
Robert C "Evel" Knievel (Man, the reaper sure loves Roberts)

Don't know the rules/criteria for knighthood, but any one of those above are better than the Shat.
You can't be knighted unless you are a British citizen anyway.

whaleswiththumbs said:
To become a "Sir" you just ahve to be knighted by the king or queen of any soveirgn nation. But as Monarchies are on the way out, I beleive there are only around 20 countries with a king or queen in power, That would be a challenge.

Patrick Stewart rocks...
The British royal family has next to no power in government affairs, so I'd say they might get a few more years.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
AfterAscon said:
Only Brits can be Knighted and use the title Sir. Non-brits gets honourary titles which they can't use, unless you want to start saying Sir Bill Gates.

Most awards are just political devices now in order to win favour with the public. They should go back to being military medals and awarded to people who contributed greatly to Britain and the world. It doesn't seem right giving awards to such as sports people who did particularly well in one championship.
They've always been political devices used to gain public favour and as if acting is somehow on a superior plane to athletics lol.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
Zac_Dai said:
AfterAscon said:

They've always been political devices used to gain public favour and as if acting is somehow on a superior plane to athletics lol.
Although I'm not a fan of actors getting them, at least they get them after a long and celebrated career, unlike sports people who get them after doing well in a one off situation.

They should go back to focussing on the military, they give their lives, not just in death, for their country and get very little in return. But then I'm slightly biased because my Dad got an MBE since he retired from the RAF for the amazing work he did over a 33 year career.

Ultracake

Aug 18, 2009
This is the reason we English folk still have the royal family.

Potential awesomeness.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
AfterAscon said:
Zac_Dai said:
AfterAscon said:

Although I'm not a fan of actors getting them, at least they get them after a long and celebrated career, unlike sports people who get them after doing well in a one off situation.

They should go back to focussing on the military, they give their lives, not just in death, for their country and get very little in return. But then I'm slightly biased because my Dad got an MBE since he retired from the RAF for the amazing work he did over a 33 year career.
If we look at athletes we have to consider the fact that they only really get one maybe two shots at the Olympics. You can't have a lifelong career at it, as you have a small window of time where you are at your physical peak.

So its a one shot hope at glory that they've most likely been spending everyday since a child training for. So if it pays off and they win big like Chris Hoy I don't see a problem with them getting awards.

Actors can afford take a lifetime to build up a career and thats recognized in the fact they get awards later in life.

As for the military they have there own unique award set as it is, with the likes of the Victoria Cross being the greatest honour they can receive (I would put it above a knighthood). So I don't think they lessen to any degree the prestige of your dads MBE if civilians get awarded MBEs as well.

My main point really is that the Queens honours are there to reward excellence in all fields. Because of that I don't feel we have a right to discriminate on those chosen to receive the awards.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
I want him and Sir Ian McKellen to have a duel. Gandalf's wizardry vs. Picard.
That would be awsesome.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Finally I can adequately describe how awesome Patrick Stewart is to people. I'm sorry how awesome Sir Patrick Stewart is

He is also on American dad and makes the show 10x more funny partly for when I picture him saying the line "I bet you kiss prostitutes too Stan.