Bad dreams about high school.

Crystal Violet

2020: I have not gotten over the scarf thing
Legacy
Sep 22, 2020
Paris
Country
France
Kae posted about lucid nightmares in another thread and it had me thinking that a lot of people have bad dreams about high school like it was such a nasty time for so many people that it has been burned into our psyche forever to be relived in our dreams. Do you still have bad dreams about high school but not elementary school or college? Does anyone actually have good dreams?! Surely no?!

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
I never had any dreams of high school. And unlike so many people on here, I didn't really have a negative bullying experience in high school. My dreams mostly consist of talking with other people, but the scene moves too fast to remember much of it.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Highschool wasn't any nastier than any other part of my life, less so in some cases. I think the highschool nightmare is more about this feeling of displacement where you're suddenly more vulnerable to your peers, rather than harkening back to bad experiences, though I'm sure for some people it could also be that

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
While my high school experience was so awful that I dropped out of school because of a combination of psychological and economical factors, I actually never really dream about high school, at least not that I recall most of my dreams tend to focus on Existential horror, if they're good they're probably about me being a robot or a supercomputer that controls many robots, or something like that, basically I'm saying I want to be either a robot or many robots, that'd be cool, better than being human at least.

If I dream about something horrifying from my life it's more likely to be 2011, which is the time just after having the nervous breakdown that made me too paranoid to go to school, I mean I was still a teen and it's high school age definitely, but an aunt said I could stay at her house so I was all by myself, locked up in this house for an entire year, I barely ever left, I was eating like once every three days and I also had 6 months in a row in that year without internet, it's when I went insane and stopped fully recognising what is truly real and what isn't, I basically never fully recovered and the madness of the new Covid induced isolation is basically bringing all that back, so hooray!
I might go completely nuts soon, like don't be surprised if I end up locked up for some reason or another, an insane anarchist doesn't seem like the best of combinations, even if my intentions are good, the fact that I keep daydreaming about burning buildings doesn't help matters in my favour here.

lil devils x

šŸMore Lego Goats Please!šŸ
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
I have always had good dreams about school. I don't think I have ever actually had a nightmare about school. I might be in the minority, but school was generally fun for me. I can only think mostly of fond memories of high school. When I dream, about school it is usually a sex dream tbh. :X

My worst nightmares are about thousands of tornadoes, dying in a car crash, the house being on fire, children being in danger and not being able to help them or about evil men chasing me trying to cut my ankles or being held against my will.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think I've had 2 dreams about high school and while I would qualify those as bad dreams, they were mainly about waking up and having to go to high school again, before remembering that "Oh, I'm done with all that shit."

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I have always had good dreams about school. I don't think I have ever actually had a nightmare about school. I might be in the minority, but school was generally fun for me. I can only think mostly of fond memories of high school. When I dream, about school it is usually a sex dream tbh. :X

My worst nightmares are about thousands of tornadoes, dying in a car crash, the house being on fire, children being in danger and not being able to help them or about evil men chasing me trying to cut my ankles or being held against my will.
Funny how we are or aren't affected by certain traumas. Having your fingers being broken by your parents or getting chased out of the house at 14 by your shotgun-wielding mother and subsequently being homeless and forcing you to scramble to stay alive? Apparently, less traumatizing than tornadoes.

I failed biology once, it was the only class I've ever gotten a failing grade in. I still get nightmares about "OH NO, I WON'T BE ABLE TO GRADUATE!" or "OH NO, I HAVEN'T BEEN TAKING BIOLOGY CLASSES" and stuff like that.

Crystal Violet

Legacy
Sep 22, 2020
Paris
Country
France
I basically never fully recovered and the madness of the new Covid induced isolation is basically bringing all that back, so hooray!
I might go completely nuts soon, like don't be surprised if I end up locked up for some reason or another, an insane anarchist doesn't seem like the best of combinations, even if my intentions are good, the fact that I keep daydreaming about burning buildings doesn't help matters in my favour here.
Please don't go mad! Talk to us if you're feeling really low!

I might be in the minority, but school was generally fun for me. I can only think mostly of fond memories of high school. When I dream, about school it is usually a sex dream tbh. :X
I hated school so much. I didn't suffer bullying but I hated that I couldn't be creative and that my teachers were so stupid. I don't think I've ever had a sex dream about my school days even though sex and coming out as a lesbian was part of it.

I think I've had 2 dreams about high school and while I would qualify those as bad dreams, they were mainly about waking up and having to go to high school again, before remembering that "Oh, I'm done with all that shit."
I hate those dreams but there is always relief when I wake up and realise that I am in my late twenties. The the true horror sets in as I fully realise that I'm in my late twenties and it is 2020.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh yeah, loads of dreams about high school. The bad dreams do tend to fade away after a decade or two, though.

OTOH, I occasionally get weird and unsettling dreams about high school which leave me feeling odd when I wake up, rather than nightmares.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
Funny how we are or aren't affected by certain traumas. Having your fingers being broken by your parents or getting chased out of the house at 14 by your shotgun-wielding mother and subsequently being homeless and forcing you to scramble to stay alive? Apparently, less traumatizing than tornadoes.

I failed biology once, it was the only class I've ever gotten a failing grade in. I still get nightmares about "OH NO, I WON'T BE ABLE TO GRADUATE!" or "OH NO, I HAVEN'T BEEN TAKING BIOLOGY CLASSES" and stuff like that.
There have been far more traumatizing things happen to me than my many broken bones and being homeless. I actually had worse things happen to me before it even came to that though but mentally, I separated my family life/ home life with my school life and don't mentally associate them as being the same thing. Pretty much how I keep business and pleasure separated even now. I see high school as being the time I spent with my friends, classmates and school events and my family as being separated mentally, likely because it was so different for me, like night and day tbh. I also see work as being separate from either of those.

Besides, after I regained my footing, I was living among friends and then had my own apartment and felt free for the first time in my life. I always had plenty of friends in school. I was in cheerleading and gymnastics on my student council.. fun times.

The thing I am most afraid of IS tornadoes. I have survived so many in this area. I have seen a car flying in the air before the tornado crossed the street in front of me while I was driving down the road and then watched it proceed to tear up houses and hit a school. When it hit the school, it upset me so bad I actually threw up before I could react. Luckily all the children were safe, but it was terrifying watching the roof go flying.

On my birthday when I was a kid, we had the sheriff drive by our home yelling through his bullhorn that there was tornados on the ground headed our way and to take cover. We were outside playing with our gymnastics ribbon wands and we had not yet even cut the cake. My Dad had made everyone get under the staircase to take cover, but it was my birthday so I came back out anyways and was standing behind him when we both saw them coming over the hill across from our farm. It was one big one throwing up debris and two skinny tornado trailers on each side. It was like something out of a horror movie and didn't seem like it could be real. My Dad heard me gasp when I saw them and that was when he realized I was standing there and screamed at me to get under the stairs so I ran into the house and grabbed my uncut birthday cake ( because that is what a stupid kid does when a tornado hits on their birthday) and I held it the entire time we were taking cover. My dad came running in few minutes later and he said it's here, everyone hold on tight. He held on to the door trying to give it more support in hopes it wouldn't come off it's hinges. You could feel the pressure like it was coming through the very foundation of the house. It was the loudest sound I have ever heard, even louder than when standing next to a train going by. We heard the crashing and glass and the door shaking that my dad was holding on to. My little sister was crying. There was no light in there so we were in the dark. Someone or more likely "more someone's" put their elbow/ hand or something in my cake I was holding during the whole ordeal. We were extremely lucky. It actually didn't hit our house directly. It picked up the barn across the street and threw it at our house though. Par of the barn was in our front living room, there was a 2x4 sticking out of the wall. the front living room windows were broken, more of the barn on the roof of our house and throughout the yard. It also destroyed a barn behind our house. It looked like the Tornado hit the barn across the street, jumped back up in the air and came back down behind our house and took out the neighbors Barn. At the time we were worried he was dead in there because he would get drunk down at the dock across from the barn while fishing all the time and pass out in his barn so when his truck was parked at the barn we knew we could find him in the barn instead of the house. Luckily though he wasn't in the barn. He DID get drunk while fishing BUT chose to walk back to the house because he lost his keys while drunk and couldn't drive his truck back that day. The worst part about that was he slept through the whole thing in his house and didn't answer the door when the sheriff came knocking so they had search parties out looking for him in the fields among the debris while he was just sleeping off his hangover at the time. Then there were like 7 tornados hit after going near my parents farm on Mother's day one year and my friend was in the burger king at the time when it was destroyed. Luckily the customers and workers all took cover in their walk in cooler, and that was the only thing left standing. When I saw her walking around in the street on the news footage from the helicopter going over them, I was so relieved she made it okay. There have been others where I had to take cover repeatedly, but those were the worst. I likely will never stop having nightmares about them.

Oh Biology.. that was the class where the guy next to me always tried to put his hands up my skirt and on my knee in class and creepily say, " Bubbles, bubbles you're in trouble" for some strange reason and I have no clue to this day WTH was wrong with him. He was the only one who has ever called me bubbles and I still have no idea what that was even supposed to mean, so it was exceptionally weird. He also used to leave me little origami folded notes and flowers on my chair. It was even weirder later when his Dad turned out to be my oral surgeon and then gave me a huge discount on my surgery because apparently he had told his dad in high school that he had a huge crush on me and his dad, my then oral surgeon, said he recognized me. I don't think it is possible to express enough just how creepy it is to know that the guy who is about to knock you out and operate on your mouth telling you that he recognizes you from his son having a crush on you. I never actually asked HOW he recognized me, did his son have my photos on his wall? Did he go to the football games when I was cheering? To this day I do not know and it will just have to remain one of those unsolved mysteries that I am never going to bother finding out the answer to because it would make it even weirder for me to try and find out now. I don't think I want to know the answer to that.

As far as my grades went, I always had exceptional grades, that part came easy to me.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
šŸUSAšŸ
I hated school so much. I didn't suffer bullying but I hated that I couldn't be creative and that my teachers were so stupid. I don't think I've ever had a sex dream about my school days even though sex and coming out as a lesbian was part of it.
I actually had sex in the school auditorium on the catwalk above the seating area near the stage so that may have something to do with it... XD
Most of my high school experiences were extremely sexually charged with all those raging hormones in such close proximity. Guys constantly hitting on me in every class, in between classes, after school, at events, I can't even think of any place at school where I didn't have some sort of sexually charged memory so yea, My brain still associates school with sex, sex and more sex everywhere. Either flirting, foreplay or sex everywhere.

Last edited:

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I think people dream about high school more than middle or elementary school because you're close to physically being fully formed by then, and it's a bit more abstraction for your brain to dream you're a kid again.

I get the occasional panic dream that I'm late to band, or that I forgot my instrument/concert uniform. High school was alright for me otherwise. My bullying was in 5th-7th grade.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Kae posted about lucid nightmares in another thread and it had me thinking that a lot of people have bad dreams about high school like it was such a nasty time for so many people that it has been burned into our psyche forever to be relived in our dreams. Do you still have bad dreams about high school but not elementary school or college? Does anyone actually have good dreams?! Surely no?!
I mean, yeah I have good dreams sometimes, I honestly don't remember my dreams much anymore. I used to remember them a lot more when I was younger, and would actively try and do memory/dream training before bed. I can't really recall any highschool specific ones? Usually if I remember them, it would be one of the really esoteric dreams, that are so out there they have little connection to real life.

I do notice however, that I tend to have significant nightmares, if I've kicked the covers off of myself, and am feeling cold. I suspect it's my body scaring me awake to grab the covers and get warm again. Anyone else have a tendency for this to happen?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
High school seems like such a distant memory, which is odd, because I'm still in college.

High school wasn't so bad for me, but I have many regrets and memories that make me cringe. I went to an all-boys Catholic school, so you can imagine how terrible my views on things were.

I do sometimes dream about having assessments for school that need to be done, even though I likely finished them weeks ago.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Had a pretty bad time at one college which still have nightmares bout to this day. Some other schools i dont remember about till they creep up in nightmares too. Childhood is a shrouded blur. Pleasant dreams are rare so i just have to brute force them and other nice feelings with casual drug use/abuse. Not optimal, but the most consistent for replicating results so far.

Crystal Violet

Legacy
Sep 22, 2020
Paris
Country
France
I do notice however, that I tend to have significant nightmares, if I've kicked the covers off of myself, and am feeling cold. I suspect it's my body scaring me awake to grab the covers and get warm again. Anyone else have a tendency for this to happen?
Oh yes this happens to me for hot and cold. I think I just wake from a bad dream if it's the "wrong" temperature.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Oh yes this happens to me for hot and cold. I think I just wake from a bad dream if it's the "wrong" temperature.
I probably wake up from being hot too? I just can't recall any offhand. I'm WAY more likely though, to be startled awake by a disturbing dream, to find myself shivering. I tend to keep my AC up high enough where "being hot at night" doesn't really happen. xD

OT though: Yeah I'm trying to recall any highschool specific nightmares, and I really can't recall any, not that have stuck with me through the years. I have like, 3 dreams that I remember years later, due to the unique nature of their structure and subject matter. But, beyond that, I usually just dump them from short term memory pretty quick.

Crystal Violet

Legacy
Sep 22, 2020
Paris
Country
France
I probably wake up from being hot too? I just can't recall any offhand. I'm WAY more likely though, to be startled awake by a disturbing dream, to find myself shivering. I tend to keep my AC up high enough where "being hot at night" doesn't really happen. xD
Hot too. I think I have a comfort zone and if it goes above or below I have dreams and wake up. I maybe have poor sensitivity lol

OT though: Yeah I'm trying to recall any highschool specific nightmares, and I really can't recall any, not that have stuck with me through the years. I have like, 3 dreams that I remember years later, due to the unique nature of their structure and subject matter. But, beyond that, I usually just dump them from short term memory pretty quick.
That's strange. I always here of people having school nightmares. I hear tell of the "naked at school" dream and I never have that. But it is weird because it is not a nightmare per say but I have very unpleasant dreams about being in school and discovering that my feet are bare and I try to hide them. I'm weird.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That's strange. I always here of people having school nightmares. I hear tell of the "naked at school" dream and I never have that. But it is weird because it is not a nightmare per say but I have very unpleasant dreams about being in school and discovering that my feet are bare and I try to hide them. I'm weird.
Yeah I never had the naked in school dream either. I've been naked in a few dreams, but it wasn't something that was strange, given the context of the other stuff going on. Dreams that I remember, are sort of scattered, like, for years after I quit smoking cigarettes, I would have dreams where the one detail I remembered upon waking, was that I had started smoking again. It would be a "regular day" kind of dream, but I was smoking. And I would wake up angry that I had given back into that habit. It would take me a few minutes to remember that it was a dream, and that I didn't start smoking again.

Other dreams I would remember, are things like.....I recall having one where I was in this large, grey chamber, sort of like a cave, but clearly carved into a more geometric shape. And the room was this loooooooong line of people, walking between these colored handrails. Think your typical big stadium ticket line kind of design, with metal bars at hip height, snaking backwards and forwards, but going on for a really long distance. And the handrails were glowing, rainbow colored tubes, like fluorescent tubes, but with swirling colors. I distinctly remember realizing "oh, I'm dead, this is the afterlife." And the setup was that the line of people, would walk through the paths, with our hand on the rails. And if you touched the rails, you would experience history. It was literally a "timeline" of humanity's existence. And people would just sort of walk, with a dazed expression, reliving the time they were touching. I remember people walking backwards and forwards, experiencing the timeflow forward and reverse, while others would stop and hold to a specific segment, to get a more in depth reliving of the time in question. And periodically, you would see people flash out of existence in a burst of light, and I knew that meant they had decided to be reincarnated at that particular point in time.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Schoold does feature in some of my dreams, but it tends to get mixed with other times of my life up to my first post-doc position.
It is most of the time about juggling various task or commitments or running late on something or exams or paperwork, usually combined.

Those are not really bad dreams as such. There is always the knowledge that all of those problems can be handled but somehow i never actually get the stuff done in the dream.

Sometimes i dream that i have to solve a problem, usuallly the calculation, but my mind in dream state is not actually able to do so and thinking about it seriously makes we wake up.

I don't think i really ever had the "naked at school" dream. I had dreams about being naked on the way to school. Running late. And not having the time for going back to put something on, because being late is obviously way worse than being completely naked in public.