Bad game design decisions in errr games!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Right people, lets talk shittyness!.

What game mechanics in games have made you question the sanity of the devs?, you know the drill, lets ***** QTE's and weapon degridation.
"you think this is a cutscene?, NO PRESS THE FUCKING BUTTON, oh your dead!"

For me Wipeout Fusion has by far the craziest thing going for it, I was looking forward to it, upon playing it I realised the Skimmers in the game are affected by the surface your racing on.

Let me re-iterate that for you, a racing game with jet powered antigravity machines floating 4 metres in the air are affected by the surface they are not fucking touching. WHAT?, who the hell at Sony thought that was a good idea, I remember piloting a ship and going through a rocky patch it juddered, why? it doesn't have a suspension!.

So, whats your game breaking design decisions, that hopefully have been wiped out (fnar fnar) or you wish would?

Solidus00

Mar 30, 2009
Weapon jamming in Far Cry 2 is ridiculous. Whats the purpose? To piss you off.
They call it "realism", well I dont know much about guns but I dont think they jam as much as they do in Far Cry 2.
Still though, there are certain boundries when it comes to realism.

Dangerious P. Cats

Dec 21, 2008
Well. I tend to think that excessive micro management in a real time strategy game is bad design but Warcraft III seemed to build their game around making you manage the bollocks out of everything.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Solidus00 said:
They call it "realism", well I dont know much about guns but I dont think they jam as much as they do in Far Cry 2.
weapons do actually jam alot if dirty, the Colt 45 is well known for jamming and getting the shell stuck in the barrel, if you buy one i recomend having the barrel custom made from EN58 Nickel. Also the SA80 which was meant to be the British Armies Desert assault rifle jams when its dusty, so they had to oil it to keep it dust free, but it would jam if it was too greasy, the SA80a was quickly made up to overcome its predecessors dust allergy.

I've not played Far Cry 2, its top of the list for buying though, is their a way you can keep your guns jam free?, like you know, cleaning them, it would annoy the hell out of me if a mission i was carefully planning for 2 hours was scuppered by some arbitrary bullshit random "perk" in a game.

Edit:, I remember watching Far cry 2 being shown on TV, and the suit from marketing firing his rocket launchers only to find it was a dud, so he looks to the camera and says watch this now, preps his rocket launcher once more only to fire another 2 dud rounds....

Pavement

Mar 31, 2009
Pretty much the only time my gun jams is when its a gun I found on the floor.
It is the most frustrating thing in the world tho.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Too Human. You have to wait a whole minute to be revived by that stupid angel that likes to take her sweet time.
LOL, didn't Dyack say the game was epic in length?, well yes it Dyack, because of the ammount of times you die coupled with that fucking animation.

AtLeastImNotFrench

Mar 20, 2009
Devil May Cry 4's infinitely stupid platforming sections. The controls seem almost designed to do the opposite of what you want, and ruins the experience for a decent combat system.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
AtLeastImNotFrench said:
Devil May Cry 4's infinitely stupid platforming sections. The controls seem almost designed to do the opposite of what you want, and ruins the experience for a decent combat system.
oh god yeah, DMC 3 suffers from that, wall running and flipping away from it with no ability to aim your jump onto a ledge you actually need to get too only to fall down the chamber to have to go through several rooms again is annoying to say the least, when done 4 times in a row its RAGE QUIT time.

Xanadeas

Oct 19, 2008
Any and all racing games ever. Bump a wall or a car or a pedestrian and BAM hello last place. Racing in any of the GTA series... Dear god, you touch anything and you go careening off the street... and into last place.

Games that have invisible "boundaries" that don't let you go past them. They're immersion breaking goodness!

Games that allow you to get "stuck" between boulders/scenery, buildings, because you can't climb up the surface and haven't technically landed due to the designers refusal to allow you to climb a slope surface.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
The control of Leon in RE4. I don't care how many praise the game, but controlling like a tractor in an action game made me turn my disk into a Frisbee one too many times. The bloody QTE and the instant deaths, too.

Also, any instant, in ANY game in existence, where you have to babysit someone. Why the hell won't they just give that up?

Solidus00

Mar 30, 2009
ColdStorage said:
Solidus00 said:
weapons do actually jam alot if dirty, the Colt 45 is well known for jamming and getting the shell stuck in the barrel, if you buy one i recomend having the barrel custom made from EN58 Nickel. Also the SA80 which was meant to be the British Armies Desert assault rifle jams when its dusty, so they had to oil it to keep it dust free, but it would jam if it was too greasy, the SA80a was quickly made up to overcome its predecessors dust allergy.

I've not played Far Cry 2, its top of the list for buying though, is their a way you can keep your guns jam free?, like you know, cleaning them, it would annoy the hell out of me if a mission i was carefully planning for 2 hours was scuppered by some arbitrary bullshit random "perk" in a game.

Edit:, I remember watching Far cry 2 being shown on TV, and the suit from marketing firing his rocket launchers only to find it was a dud, so he looks to the camera and says watch this now, preps his rocket launcher once more only to fire another 2 dud rounds....
You can get a brand new rifle everytime you go back to your base to save and whatever and it most likely will not jam. But these sort of mechanics are best left outside of games, there is no real purpose in it.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I got this one game for Christmas it had
Cannon Fodder enemies
Save points that cost like 50 souls to use
A save point at the beginning of an hour and half long level
No map
Samey locations
No way to get back to a place you left
Shitty camera
Just goes to show if you get a 3 pack of games for PS2 for 12 bucks and no one's heard of them, it will suck

Tegual

Feb 17, 2009
limiting savegames on a pc. WTF i have 2TB and they tell me i can only save a few times.

LASER GUIDED BOMBS, Great premise but WTF do i have to be standing 3 feet away to aquire the target.

MercFox1

Jun 19, 2008
ColdStorage said:

The rocket launcher has never fired any dud rounds for me, BUT if you aim the RPG at the ground at an acute angle, the rockets will actually ricochet off before exploding. There have been some hilarious moments with ricocheting rockets, too.

Guns found in the wild jam a lot more than the guns you get from the Armory. One of my favorites is the AK47, and I've never had that gun jam on me when I've picked up my own.

I'm really surprised that gun jamming is the biggest complaint about Far Cry 2 here, not the artificially sped up dialogue or the lack of any other "life" outside of packs of zebras and Mike's Bar? Far Cry 2 has some awesome things, but just dropping you in the middle of a country that's completely hostile to you, with guard shacks that respawn too quickly, does kind of bog it down. Personally, I love the game, but it could have used some fundamental changes.

Darkintent

Mar 17, 2009
Damned COD 5 NPC ally AI!

Fucking love to push you out of cover into the loving path of a fucking RPG!

I mean they got it spot on with COD 4 the allies took up cover in places close to you...
NOT FUCKING ON YOU!!!!

Tegual

Feb 17, 2009
Far cry 2's disease you get at the begining. great move. tell the player they have to find medicine every 5 minutes so they can continue to play the game. WTH