Bad games that got GOOD reviews

Sam_Winchester

Sep 24, 2009
uzo said:
Biohazard 4.

Sure .. it's fun enough. But is it really THAT good? And it didn't so much 'redefine' survival horror as throw it out the fucking window. After the first scene (approaching the town on foot), it feels like godamn John Cleese appeared and said 'and now for something completely different.'

What in the hell happened to Biohazard, Capcom ??! I want it BACK.

EDIT: And wow .. RDR? Really? I thought it was fabbo.
I wouldn't call RE4 (yes, I'm American) a "survival horror" game by any stretch. I always thought that particular analysis of it was backwards. What it is is an action game with characters tangentially related to the previous games and was intended to be a departure from the previous entries in the series. Also, if Capcom had insisted on not changing the formula at all the franchise would have stagnated and we all would have grown bored with it, I assure you.

RE4 is a good game meant to be played, not really thought about. It doesn't cover any new ground, it doesn't "give Resident Evil/Biohazard a bad name" it just was something a little different.

death525

Aug 29, 2009
Dragon Age: Origins
I found it so bland and unispired. I know it was designed to be a throwback to fantasy games but it just wasnt interesting. I didnt care for any of the characters and the combat(at least if you were a mage (thats the only one I played)) was so slow and bland.

Sep 14, 2009
Mr Shrike said:
Call of Duty 4 through 7.

OT: I would say the Pokemon games. There's just something I don't "get" with them. It was never a large part of my childhood, and I don't understand how people can give essentially the same game outstanding reviews.

Also, Dead Rising. Between awful camera, counter-intuitive controls, vague mission objectives and dull writing, I could not stand it and gave up after an hour.
i understand where your coming from, and besides which type of pokemon and meta game strategies are in the game, it is so similar to the point they probably didn't use half as much money/time as most games do in development.

however i still love each and every single game and play them to bits. it's just one of those things that nintendo has.....mind control..

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
sravankb said:
Opinions. Subjective. Not fact.

When, oh when, will the Escapist get this through their heads? There's seriously a thousand topics just like this one. And all of them can be answered with one word - opinion.
I assume the thread title actually means "bad games - in your opinion - that got good reviews". At least, I hope so.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Gears of War 3.
Please don't hurt me.

And yes, I know it's subjective whether you like a game or not, but seriously, the story is horribly written (at least by my standards), there's zero to none character development, the aesthetics consist of brown, and slightly different shades of brown, and the gameplay consists of hiding between chest-high walls, popping up to shoot something.
/rant

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
For me, it's FFXII. I don't like any single part of its gameplay. I did one try to find a bad review for it from a professional outlet. Couldn't find one.

ALSO VAAN MUST DIE. PAINFULLY. TWICE. IN A BOAT. WITH A SPOON!

TraceurRyuk

Jul 25, 2010
Halo: I honestly have no idea why I don't like this one. Just never could get into it.

Team Fortress 2: The gameplay is boring and dated, but I think the thing that bothers me the most about it is all the internet memes. The game isn't funny, and the memes aren't either.

Mass Effect 2: Admittedly I never played the first one. I imagine a major part of it is the story, which for the most part, I ignored.

yukshee

Oct 2, 2009
CrashBang said:
Dragon Age 2 was bad. It felt like DLC and not a story in its own right, it was padded out by dull side quests, the characters and events were extremely boring and every building and dungeon was a copy/paste of the last one. I hate that game but so many critics loved it.
Jeez this game was so boring I uninstalled all 23gigs,ready for RAGE!!!

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Too many to list.

Alright here's a couple most gamers here I think could agree on:
Spore
Fable 2
Fable 3

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Prototype. Oh dear god Prototype. I can quite honestly say that this is the worst game I have played this (or any other) generation. Yes, I know that is my opinion, but I honestly do not understand how this game got any positive reviews at all.

Spaec

Oct 23, 2009
Codblops! Tried the demo, had a dreadful time and decided never to touch the full game without friends/alcohol around. Gamespot still gave it a 9.0, though.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
sravankb said:
Opinions. Subjective. Not fact.

When, oh when, will the Escapist get this through their heads? There's seriously a thousand topics just like this one. And all of them can be answered with one word - opinion.
So people shouldn't EVER share their opinions online because it's pointless?

...Really? Well, I guess the topic's title could use the almighty "IN YOUR OPINION" stamped onto it for clarity, but is this honestly a big issue?

Songbird-O

Jan 13, 2010
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean may be an awfully written piece of tripe with two unlikable clods in the lead roles that make me seek out better leads in 13-year-old fanfiction that despite it's rather pretty graphics is also cursed with a slow unwieldy battle system and voice acting that was literally done by hobos from off the streets that was given a good score and as a result cursed us with Eternal Sonata which was so awful that just hearing about it caused me to go ballistic from how much it insulted my sensibilities and everyone unfortunate enough to pay money for it by treating them like five year olds with multiple brain intrusions...

But what's even more baffling to me is that it's sequel, Baten Kaitos Origins, one of my favorite games of all time that improved every single thing the original did wrong is some thought to be a LESSER GAME than both of these.

DO I have to say that this is an opinion now? I think that's fairly obvious.

RickRoll

Aug 4, 2009
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter has a 9.9 on Gametrailers for some extremely mind-blowing reason, even though i literally played the demo for about 15 minutes and was bored to hell and never even bothered to try it again. One of the most unoriginal, unstimulating, awkwardly controlled games i've ever played. No soul to it whatsoever!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It happens all the time. It's all caused by those damn opinions... A recent example is inFAMOUS 2. I found it good, but highly overrated. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.296612] Meanwhile, the one person I though would agree with me, Yahtzee, loved it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3611-Infamous-2] I felt betrayed...