Bad games that got GOOD reviews

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Worgen said:
Well the gameplay in metroid the other M was pretty damn good, at least I really liked it, it was the story that hurt people physically so overall I would say it deserves a positive score.
The problem was almost all of the reviewers all praised the story. Seriously, go read some of them.

All this bearing in mind that decent movies receive reviews of 3 stars AS A GOOD THING, and it shows how screwed up the Four Point Scale [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourPointScale] is.

For me, I guess it's be BioShock. I really can't fathom how it got shining reviews across the board, when it just feels so bad. Most of the reasons I've heard for it boil down to "it's still better than most FPSes". I guess I just don't play that many FPSes...
I don't think so, I cant remember a single instance of a reviewer saying the story was anything beyond ehh. Most of the ones I read said the story was crap.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Let's see...I didn't care for Bioshock, Fallout 3, Black Ops, Twilight Princess, any Bioware game after Mass Effect...the list goes on.

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
I don't really pay attention to reviews, though I'd have to say New Vegas. Simply because "It's fallout" it got good reviews. If that was the first game released of the Fallout Series, we wouldn't have seen another. No game should be that buggy with that high of a score.

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
Mr Moonshine said:
Call of Duty 11: Modern Black Ops 5 is crap, I don't know how the hell they keep rehashing these games and getting good reviews.
Idunno, it depends on if you like that sort of thing. I like Call of Duty personally, and will certainly be buying MW3, but I know many people don't, and I'm alright with that. Regardless of the fact that soldier isn't anywhere near one of my top 100 fantasies, I think shooting the living SHIT out of some guy over the internet is a blast. Then again I despise every member of the human race, and I'm pretty sure COD is preventing me from doing it IRL.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I don't understand the Prototype hate.

Anyways, I rarely despise games, so nothing is jumping to mind. Spore was pretty overrated, though.

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
Demon's Souls.

Bayonetta was also really overhyped and scored too high by a few specific outlets.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i feel most people here dont get the idea. its not "i suck at this game or i couldnt get into it, therefore it is bad".

i am terrible at Team Fortress 2, and i couldnt get into Fallout 3, but i know they arent bad.

on topic: i really hated Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. i bought it used, along with CoD2 and 3, because of the lack of games being released at that time. it was truly awful. it was confusing, very difficult to complete objectives, had terrible team AI, and the enemy AI was ridiculously overpowered. the game has about an 85% on both Metacritic and Gamerankings.

speaking of Call of Duty 3, that game was also piss-poor... easily one of the worst games i have ever played in my life. it is beyond me how it has over an 80% on MC and GR. i would give it a 5, at the MOST. but i gotta say. Treyarch showed a massive improvement in WaW and Black Ops. those are both genuinely good games. i suppose they just didnt give much effort into CoD3

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
NightmareLuna said:
Halo 1, 2, 3 and... well, Okey, All Halo games. Seriously, I cannot for the life of me understand how people can enjoy those games!

Then again I get the same reaction when I tell people I really enjoy Naughty Bear. It is all subjective. ^^
3 main reasons:

1. Customizabillty of the game's multiplayer: No other console game, or even most PC games are capable of the volume of user made content that halo puts out without mods. Custom Maps, gametypes (Low gravity? Only melee does damage? Everybody is colored pink?) etc.

2. Story. A lot of us like Halo for the extended universe in the novels, which are AMAZING narratives in their own right.

3. Bungie. No matter what you think of Halo, Bungie is eaily one of the best devs out there. The sheer amount of support they put in for their fanbase is insane.

(My god, with all the times i've been discussing this in the past 2 weeks, people are going to think i'm on a crusade here. Not my fault there have been like 5 topics on the subject lately.)

Anyways; I think that generally speaking, a game is always at LEAST worth the score it is given, because our rating scale is messed up (a score of 7 (average) should be a score of 5, etc), and because it's all subjective.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
moosek said:
ruben6f said:
Edit: forgot Halo Reach... I HATE THAT GAME!!
I hate you. And your dumb face. Your face is overrated, and I'm sure it's like a 6.5/10.

But I enjoy Halo. Reach was fun, and it's nice to play a shooter with a random variable of fun. Halo does this well with physics, vehicles, explosives and the melee/grenades being an integral part of taking down the opponent.
I think it's more like a 4/10 I have green eyes and the ladies like that but I have some pimples on my face =(

I never said I didn't like Halo, I said I hated Halo Reach.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I better get my flame shield for this, a big one. I thought Bioshock and Team Fortrees 2 were horrible. Yes I played both of them, I even played through Bioshock twice since I was convinced I just missed the genius the first time, but I just didn't find it.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
TraceurRyuk said:
Mass Effect 2: Admittedly I never played the first one. I imagine a major part of it is the story, which for the most part, I ignored.
Agreed. There's especially an issue in that ME2 doesn't even have a plot to speak of.

spanielcheckers said:
BioShock 2 comes to mind.
Somehow I litterally forgot about this one... thanks for reminding me. :\

death525 said:
Dragon Age: Origins
I found it so bland and unispired. I know it was designed to be a throwback to fantasy games but it just wasnt interesting. I didnt care for any of the characters and the combat(at least if you were a mage (thats the only one I played)) was so slow and bland.
I'm told Mage is actually the best class to actually play through. I tried finishing it on a Rogue and a Warrior and the only thing I can add is it has a very hefty teenage "dark means blood" writing theme going on. Bioware's continual claims at it being dark fantasy were someplace between laughable and moronic. And the absence of a morality system didn't free it from the traditional lawful retard/chaotic fuckwit hero Bioware loves to write.

For all those people who hold up DAO as some pinnacle of epic RPGs, all I can do is wonder what the hell they were smoking.

I did enjoy 2, but that was more because nearly everyone in the party was a shameless smartass.

Captcha: ¾-in. otheirb

Yeah, thanks for making me hunt up that damn ¾ character. :\

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Vandenberg1 said:
BIO5...SHIT ACTION/ SHIT SURVIVAL/SHIT HORROR/SHITTY SHITY SHIT
You forgot hilarious shooting gallery on New Game + saves. Still a terrible game, but at least there was some entertainment to be had laughing at it.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
DOOMGUY said:
I recently looked at Metroid:The Other M's reception and it was positive to mixed, which dumbfounded me so I thought. There always good games that got bad reviews posts, why not bad games that got good to mixed reviews. Thoughts?
I found this odd as well. I wasn't sure what to think of Other M after watching/reading 2 reviews, so I watched/read over a half a dozen, and the reviews were all over the place. So I said "All I have is a Wii, what else am I gonna play?" and picked up a copy. I returned it after about 8 hours of gameplay and 2 days passed. I have no further desire to play Other M or any other highly regarded franchise game picked up by Team Ninja without strong recommendation from sources I trust.

Part of the problem is IGN. They seem to grade Wii games on the same scale that Game Informer grades all games. They gave the first Red Steel game high marks. The only thing noteworthy about that terrible game was its penchant for overt racism. They also highly recommended the Goldeneye remake, which I bought and played the first 4 stages of. It was more like a love letter to late-90's arcade games then to the N64 Goldeneye. The stealth aspect was a joke, there wasn't a single gadget in the game, the levels were all super linear but the sniper rifle looked cool! Also, they retconned everything that made the story of the film and the original game right out of the script. Valentino was no longer a loveable pseudo-villain. The dull-witted CIA guy was MIA, as was larger-than-life nerd Boris. Famke Jansen, the arch villain who gets off, literally, on massacring innocents with machine gun fire and killing men with her nutcracker legs, had all of the interesting aspects of her character retconned right out. So when one reads the review of Donkey Kong Country Returns, one really doesn't know whether to believe it's as badass as they say (it is) or if they're just giving it the same completely unworthy praise (aside from 4-player) that they gave New Super Mario Brothers Wii, simply because it's a 2D platformer and those don't really show up too often.

Also, just to let you know, about 2 years ago in an interview the head of Retro Studios, designers of all 3 Metroid Prime games, said that if Nintendo approached them about doing another Prime they wouldn't hesitate.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
YawningAngel said:
Dungeon Siege 3 wasn't slaughtered nearly enthusiastically enough in the press for my liking.
They felt sorry for them after Alpha Protocol?