Bad games that got GOOD reviews

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
Seeing as this is all based on opinion, a better title would be
"Games that received good reviews that you don't think deserve it"

Xeraxis

Aug 7, 2011
Probably Dead Rising. Moving around in that game just feels so clunky, the characters are so bland, and the camera is just terrible. Really didn't deserve the praise it gets.

GeneralSeasick

Feb 3, 2011
Pokemon. It is the SAME game with different colored mice or whatever that make different noises that sound like the noise a Gameboy would make if you dropped it in a bucket of water.

Fallout 3. It takes an established series and for me completely throws huge chunks of the original plot out the window.

And lastly, Dead Island. It has gotten Average-Good reviews, but for me it's a game with bad visuals, clunky combat, an average story, and the company seems to hate people who play single player, because the difficulty when alone is freaking ridiculous.

SpecJoe Magic

Jan 26, 2010
Metal Gear Solid 4- I cannot understand why it receives such praise. Some people seem to have extreme reverence for the series to the point that they will rate it highly no matter what. It has about as many cut scenes as it does gameplay, which is a problem already, but what makes matters worse is that the the cut scenes are badly written. The gameplay that it does have is decent, but it's not like it's so amazing that it deserves awards. I want to play games, not watch them. A few brief cut scenes here and there are fine, but there is no need for the obscene amount that MGS4 has. There are plenty of far better movies to watch, and plenty of far better games to play instead.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
GeneralSeasick said:
Pokemon. It is the SAME game with different colored mice or whatever that make different noises that sound like the noise a Gameboy would make if you dropped it in a bucket of water.

Fallout 3. It takes an established series and for me completely throws huge chunks of the original plot out the window.

And lastly, Dead Island. It has gotten Average-Good reviews, but for me it's a game with bad visuals, clunky combat, an average story, and the company seems to hate people who play single player, because the difficulty when alone is freaking ridiculous.
I'm sorry? What exactly is wrong with Fallout 3? It keeps all the existing continuity, it's just set somewhere else.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
I'm sure this topic will result in pages in pages of opinions divergent of critical reception.

Not like it's an unusual, or even particularly noteworthy occurrence.

If there's something people will never do, it's completely agree on something.

Often for no raisin.

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
Final Fantasy 8, 10, 10-2, and 13 I'm sorry if you loved them but those games had some large problems that just killed the game.

RichardThompson

Aug 25, 2010
MightyRabbit said:
For me, it's FFXII. I don't like any single part of its gameplay. I did one try to find a bad review for it from a professional outlet. Couldn't find one.

ALSO VAAN MUST DIE. PAINFULLY. TWICE. IN A BOAT. WITH A SPOON!
Rented FFXIII, played it for an few hours and got bored and brought it back. I don't care how good it gets.
The worst part? I was playing it with a friend who was telling me all the interesting stuff (didn't care, I'd rented it after all, and didnt intend to speed through), and when I asked her when this stuff happened she said, and I quote, "I'm not sure, it took me 2 or 3 days". Fuck off.

Also the quote is because I thought you also mentioned FXIII so I editted after.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Bad games don't typically get good reviews, but games you don't personally enjoy very well might. Similarly, games you enjoy might get low scores because they're not really all that good. I think pretty much everyone in this thread can point to both kinds of games - ones that reviewed well that they didn't really enjoy, and ones they played the crap out of that reviewed badly.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
Dragon Age 2, in my mind, is the epitome of 'bad games that got good reviews'. And it's not because it was bad. In fact, the game wasn't horrible. I'd give it a 6.5 at best, but not lower than a 4. I bring it up because it got spectacular reviews from nearly everyone, and most certainly didn't deserve them in any way, shape or form.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
gears of war

great weapons and solid gameplay(except online but thats another can of worms) but the story and characters were... ugh

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Radoh said:
Would you look at this thread? What is this all about now, people liking things you don't like?
Seriously now, good reviews happen because the reviewers like them, and liking something is a Subjective thing. Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean the game is bad, just that you don't like it.
Blah.
Most of the time, reviewers are paid to write good about a game, especially a AAA title. If they don't they likely won't get another game from that specific publisher/developer.

Zykmiester

Jun 22, 2010
EternalFacepalm said:
Gears of War 3.
Please don't hurt me.

And yes, I know it's subjective whether you like a game or not, but seriously, the story is horribly written (at least by my standards), there's zero to none character development, the aesthetics consist of brown, and slightly different shades of brown, and the gameplay consists of hiding between chest-high walls, popping up to shoot something.
/rant
Well you obviously didnt play much of it because alot of the leves have beautiful moving water and the beautiful foliage.
But a game that I have no idea why it got good reviews was Heavy Rain. The gameplay is horrible with just QTEs and the occaisonal bit of extremly fiddly walking around. And also the story is shit. It may as well be Saw 2 without the injenuity of the traps. And its not even origional. They did it before with Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) and Dragons Lair has done it since the 80s

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Left 4 dead 2 (dont own the first, so cant comment there), it's just so repetitive, every chapter is essentially identical but in a different location. It seemed to get a lot of love due to valve making it, but it's just not that fun.

Prototype seems to be getting quite a lot of hate, but personally I found it reasonably fun. Sure the protagonist had one of the strangest personalities ever and the writing was terrible, but the action had this entertainingly over the top power trip feel to it, some of the combo's were great fun.

TaboriHK said:
I thought the new Deus Ex was TERRIBLE.
Feel free to expand on the word 'TERRIBLE'.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Call of Duty MW2 and Black Ops. They wer 6.5-7 at best. Also, Bfbc2, which was also a 6.5-7 at best.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
GeneralSeasick said:

Complain that Pokemon hasn't changed (it has, just enough) then complain that a series has changed too much. Fallout 3 is an AMAZING game. So are Fallout 1 and 2. Fallout 3 is different then them, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
NightmareLuna said:
Halo 1, 2, 3 and... well, Okey, All Halo games.
This, pretty much just this.

Oh, and Metal Gear solid 4 getting perfect/near perfect reviews from everyone.

Xavier323

Mar 6, 2011
Starke said:
TraceurRyuk said:
Mass Effect 2: Admittedly I never played the first one. I imagine a major part of it is the story, which for the most part, I ignored.
Agreed. There's especially an issue in that ME2 doesn't even have a plot to speak of.
Um... It has a main character that encounters a conflict and through a series of events reaches a climax. Isn't that the definition of plot?