Bad guys really do get the most girls.

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
oktalist said:
JanatUrlich said:
Nice guys tend to be creepy D=
And girls tend to be bad drivers and not good at sciences.

Do you see what I did there? I made a patently untrue, unkind and offensive statement based on gender stereotypes in order to highlight the fact that you had done the same.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to turn this into the battle of the sexes, or whatever, but I felt I had to say something; I was offended because I know how many times I've been rebuffed for being "creepy" because I don't have an instinctive understanding of social boundaries, protocols or rituals, and if everyone thinks the same as you then I don't get opportunities to learn those things from experience. Don't feel that you have to reply if you think I'm being an idiot. :)
Dude I said 'tend'.

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
Furburt said:
JanatUrlich said:
Yeah, because bad guys are hot and nice guys are fucking boring.

Is that really a revelation?? Only pussy girls want pussy guys.
From my experience, the so called "pussy girls" are the ones who genuinely care for you when you're down, and share themselves with you, whereas those on the other end of the spectrum abandon you at the first sign of trouble. Happened to me, anyway.

This is just personal experience though.
Yeah, you pretty much just described my version of a pussy girl. Girls who are into drama and cry if their boyfriend so much as looks at another girl. Can't be doing with that shit.

Pariah87

Jul 9, 2009
emily123 said:
Pariah87 said:
hey thats not true my fiancee is the nicest guy you'll ever meet and i still love him
I did say it was a generalisation. Then again all you've said is that he's incredibly nice. Without looking at his psychology or yours, it's difficult to say anything other than congrats on being an exception?

Pariah87

Jul 9, 2009
emily123 said:
Pariah87 said:
emily123 said:
Pariah87 said:
hey thats not true my fiancee is the nicest guy you'll ever meet and i still love him
I did say it was a generalisation. Then again all you've said is that he's incredibly nice. Without looking at his psychology or yours, it's difficult to say anything other than congrats on being an exception?
well i'm a sadist and he's a pascifist vegetarian
he is a very quite man who loves to paint
i'm loud and bitchy and i like seeing small things suffer

did that help in any way
Actually it did a little. If what you say is true I'd say you're the dominant one, in both the relationship and everyday life, which is why a "nice guy" will work well for you. You'd find yourself locking heads more with a more aggressive or dominant guy whereas this guy is happy to sit back and let you take the lead.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Monkfish Acc. said:
I counter with this [http://www.heartless-bitches.com/rants/niceguys/niceguys.shtml].
Scary, cause it seems that I'm a "Nice Guy" according to that...*reads to end* Yep, 100% Nice Guy. >_<

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
confidence is an attractive thing and the stereotypical "bad guy" has this, at least on the surface. It's not exactly rocket science, is it?

It works in reverse as well. I keep trying to go out with these horrible, neurotic women that are just a fucking nightmare to be perfectly honest. 'Course I don't find out how bad they are until it's too late.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
That is the freakiest article I read. Not for it's content, but for my 7 degrees of separation twilight zone moment.

They cite someone from Bradley University, my undergraduate school, and by the way, not exactly a leader in the field of sociology, so take that for what you will. Also, not to denigrate my undergrad degree, but I happen to know someone who graduated from Bradley whilst attending only a couple of class sessions a semester. As someone who graduated from there, I was mightily peeved when this particular person showed off her grades at the end of a semester and had gotten all C's in classes she barely showed up for. BU isn't getting a dime more of my money in donations, no matter how sweetly they ask.

They also cite someone from Oakland University, a place my sweetie worked for 6 years. Also, not known for leading studies in sociology. I could be a bit more derogatory about OU as well, but I won't out of respect for people I knew who graduated from there.

Ah, makes sense now. New Scientist Magazine is not peer reviewed. I'm not trying to be snobby here, but I would definitely want any published work I cited that involved scientific studies to be from a peer reviewed source.

*sigh* Is my librarian nerdiness coming through loud and clear enough for you?

That bums me out, because I had a witty post about being an evolved female who didn't like assholes all ready to post. But this article is suspect in my book, so responding to it as if it is actually an indicator of female behavior is pointless.

Hurray Forums

Jun 4, 2008
Elle-Jai said:
One problem here guys: It has been exhaustively researched, and the majority of males still prefer to do the asking. It has something to do with that driving desire to hunt that was orignally hardwired into the male species... Apparently, anyway. Don't blame me for the phrase, I'm paraphrasing, not making it up as I go along (although it tempted me).
Doesn't really matter in my opinion. Just because it's "hardwired" doesn't mean it's good or acceptable, racism is pretty much "hardwired" too. Appeal to Nature is a logical fallacy. The little "chase" mind game that those studies generally refer to might be "fun" for some people(male and female), but it's not really healthy. For one thing the "chase" game relies heavily on hiding your feelings to keep the other guessing, and not sharing your feelings leads to a crappy relationship. How often do you hear men complaining that they can't understand women or women complaining that men don't understand them. Purposely hiding your feelings and being confusing to keep them "chasing" doesn't really help matters does it? Also, this idea is blatant inequality keeping in line with "traditional" gender roles. Finally, what kind of person is going to reject a girl they wanted to date just because they had the nerve to ask them out first? "God, I was so in to that girl, but now she's showing confidence and shit, DO NOT WANT!!!" Honestly, in that case getting rejected is dodging a bullet.

Elle-Jai

Mar 26, 2010
Hurray Forums said:
racism is pretty much "hardwired" too.
Wherever you currently live, I feel sorry for you. I don't think I know anyone who actually has serious racism; sure they can get frustrated with various stereotypes occasionally, but nothing that intense.

Hurray Forums said:
Also, this idea is blatant inequality keeping in line with "traditional" gender roles. Finally, what kind of person is going to reject a girl they wanted to date just because they had the nerve to ask them out first? "God, I was so in to that girl, but now she's showing confidence and shit, DO NOT WANT!!!" Honestly, in that case getting rejected is dodging a bullet.
A male friend of mine had been crushing on a girl for MONTHS and couldn't get up the courage to ask her out. Finally she just asked him, he freaked and said no, and then avoided her at all costs ever after.

I've heard similar scenarios many times, watched them as well, asked around my friends and their boyfriends/brothers/cousins, and the reply always comes back as variations of "I'd prefer to ask." We mostly find this preference to be a pain as well, since it's hardly all that "empowering" to be told that your role in life is to live well, look pretty, and wait for some guy to throw you a crumb.

But your post brings up another concern:
Hurray Forums said:
it's not really healthy. For one thing the "chase" game relies heavily on hiding your feelings to keep the other guessing, and not sharing your feelings leads to a crappy relationship. How often do you hear men complaining that they can't understand women or women complaining that men don't understand them. Purposely hiding your feelings and being confusing to keep them "chasing" doesn't really help matters does it?
Since when does complete emotional honesty EVER translate into a healthy, sexual, loving relationship between two individuals? I've never seen it happen. Secrets** are essential; having your own life and personality no less so.

**There are secrets and then there are secrets. In many cases "I cheated on you" shouldn't be said, however "I cheated on you and I have chlamydia" SHOULD be said. There are secrets that will harm the other person if they know, secrets that are none of their business (that have to do you with your inner life and emotions), and secrets that are BAD and therefore should not be secrets. What I'm trying to say is that while I am advocating secrets, I'm not advocating being a dick with/about them.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Iron Lightning said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
I counter with this [http://www.heartless-bitches.com/rants/niceguys/niceguys.shtml].
Well, that article described me quite well. Now I'm depressed.
I agree, its a description of a me quite well for all my tries. It sucks being this sort of person...

Hurray Forums

Jun 4, 2008
Elle-Jai said:
I don't think I know anyone who actually has serious racism; sure they can get frustrated with various stereotypes occasionally, but nothing that intense.
You're missing the point, the point isn't that people around me are racist, the point is that we've worked to overcome it because it's bad despite the fact that it's hardwired, which is what we should do with the whole "men must chase and women must wait" thing.

Elle-Jai said:
A male friend of mine had been crushing on a girl for MONTHS and couldn't get up the courage to ask her out. Finally she just asked him, he freaked and said no, and then avoided her at all costs ever after.

I've heard similar scenarios many times, watched them as well, asked around my friends and their boyfriends/brothers/cousins, and the reply always comes back as variations of "I'd prefer to ask." We mostly find this preference to be a pain as well, since it's hardly all that "empowering" to be told that your role in life is to live well, look pretty, and wait for some guy to throw you a crumb.
Once again, just because it's "normal" doesn't mean it's okay. I stand by the idea that if a female displaying confidence is a deal breaker for the person you ask then you probably shouldn't be in a relationship with them anyway. A preference is "okay" I guess, but to refuse someone you genuinely liked because they asked you out is a load of crap. It's also not an excuse to refuse to ask someone out just because some men suck. Men get rejected too, but they're expected to get back on the horse and keep trying, same thing should apply to women.

Elle-Jai said:
Since when does complete emotional honesty EVER translate into a healthy, sexual, loving relationship between two individuals? I've never seen it happen. Secrets** are essential; having your own life and personality no less so.
I agree that having your own life and personality is important, secrets not so much. I mean, I'm not saying you have to give them your life story on the first date, but at some point I think the relationship should grow to where you can share all your emotions with the other person. Maybe that's just romanticism talking though.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Elle-Jai said:
"I cheated on you and I have chlamydia"
I KNEW IT!

Also taking into account that many of Australia's Koalas have chlamydia, you have some explaining to do, young lady.

Also, when you think about it similarity between the initials of the National Union of Students (NUS) and chlamydia's more scientific nomenclature of non-specific urethritis (NSU), is it really just a coincidence?

Elle-Jai

Mar 26, 2010
Hurray Forums said:
You're missing the point, the point isn't that people around me are racist, the point is that we've worked to overcome it because it's bad despite the fact that it's hardwired, which is what we should do with the whole "men must chase and women must wait" thing.
My original point that I didn't communicate very well is that I dispute that racism was ever "hardwired". In point of fact, I believe the opposite to be true, and that the geographic divisions that have led to physical changes in each race would have been unremarkable except for brothers and sisters marrying, leading to absolute stupidity. (Ok, base cause of stupidity is not meant to be literal, but Darwin and his Law are failing here.)

If I dispute the first point, I'm not accepting of it as a basis for which a comparison can be made with the male hunting instinct. I also think it's a bad idea to trivialise or deny our instincts. I see babies/children, I melt. A mere singular example of genetic hardwiring I may not necessarily believe in, but I'd rather take the world AS IS than run about imagining Utopia and never changing anything.

Hurray Forums said:
Men get rejected too, but they're expected to get back on the horse and keep trying, same thing should apply to women.
We have only about 1,000 ways we demonstrate interest. Most male/female contact is actually initiated by the woman, if only the man learns a few of the signals she sends, he'll know who is receptive. The men who seem to score all the chicks are reading the neon signs, either consciously or subconsciously, that's she's screaming at him. We're not doing ALL the bloody work here, we do most of it as is!

Hurray Forums said:
I agree that having your own life and personality is important, secrets not so much. I mean, I'm not saying you have to give them your life story on the first date, but at some point I think the relationship should grow to where you can share all your emotions with the other person. Maybe that's just romanticism talking though.
This book is aimed primarily at women, but makes a very good case for me. It's called "What French Women Know about love, sex, and other matters of the heart and mind" and is written by an American woman called Debra Ollivier, who married a French guy and moved to France. They have a healthier attitude towards love and sex, they do not have this "homosociality" that we have (sticking to groups comprised solely of our own gender), and they're having way more sex than we are. With less guilt!!! While I don't want to advocate suddenly turning French, we're like kindergartners in comparison, and this annoying and pervasive myth regarding partners being "best friends" is a lie, a betrayal, and passion destroying and I WANT IT DEAD. I have best friends, and I'm not having sex with them for a reason. You can either be my lover, or my best friend, but both is pushing it.

And as for adding children into the equation... Forget it. We Westerners need to get out of preschool, and we're not going to do that if we don't start CHALLENGING these stupid notions of love and life that Hollywood and Hallmark are trying to shove down our throats.

/reply and all future replies since the more impassioned I get the more likely I am to get banned. This is not supposed to be a personal thing, I'm just frustrated with the whole institution for letting us down, lying to us, and disappointed in us for not THINKING FOR OURSELVES and GROWING UP into MATURE ADULTS instead of a whiny set of snivelling teenagers, with the attention span of a gnat, a feeling of entitlement, and the tolerance of a tired 3 year old. And it's an inter-generational problem.

Citizen.Erased

May 19, 2009
http://divalion.livejournal.com/163615.html

A very interesting read. I suggest all those who place the blame on the girls for them not wanting to date you take a quick look and actually realize how many of those things you are doing.

Nice Guys of the world, go fuck yourselves. However, I will take a nice guy over a Bad Guy.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
People who believe the hardwired "Instincts" of humans get me rofl, I'm sorry, but humans don't have those kind of things in their brain at birth. I don't see an elephant and think "Me want meat, me hungry, me grab spear." I don't want to have sex with every woman I see to have lots of kids while I go slay some beast and bring it home. I'm a vegetarian anyways, what does THAT say about instincts?

Elle-Jai said:
Most male/female contact is actually initiated by the woman, if only the man learns a few of the signals she sends, he'll know who is receptive.
Never had a women pay me any attention, it's mostly if they want something from me. I always have to come up and talk to them and most of the time they just respond in short replies. Can't read signals if they don't give any.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Citizen.Erased said:
However, I will take a nice guy over a Bad Guy.
Doom does not care about your small, female decisions. Doom will take whatever woman he wants...

... as soon as Doom can remember how to remove Doom's metal pants.

[/V von Doom channelling]