Bad News for the Gears of War Movie

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
sinclose said:
wooty said:
"the story has also been reduced in scope and will now be "a more simple, straight-ahead invasion story."

So...its the Gears of War story then?
Actually the game has got a pretty dumb plot, but its impressively meaty in the books and comics.

ToonLink said:
sinclose said:
ToonLink said:
Please for the love of god Hollywood, PLEASE make a Mirror's Edge movie!
Oh, you want them to massacre that game too?
I wouldnt care if it was a straight to dvd movie, i'd buy it and love it just like i love the game. ^_^
Even if it's by Uwe Boll?
-_- *vomit*

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
wooty said:
After reading the news article, I think that nothing good can come of it. Probably be the same quality and get similar recognition that Doom got when it was released
Ugh, why did you have to bring up Doom? If I hear Dwayne Johnson is in it I will do everything I can to act like it doesn't exist.

I honestly think they will give up on the project, or at least if they have half a head of sense. I never thought Gears of War could be a movie. You could never find people so absurdly huge that I laugh just looking a them. You can't make the movie adaptations feel like the unstoppable juggernauts they are in game (seriously would anyone not find it utterly ridiculous to see a guy in a movie soak up damage like that WITH NO HELMET EVEN?). The levels of how much crazy and stupid scenes I see in games is much higher than anything I could tolerate in a movie.

Gears of War should stay just a game (along with a little extra reading material to actually give it a decent story). The movie would be a failure no matter how much money you make it with.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Before this announcement, I knew of a thing called "HOPE" now I find that this strange thing called "HOPE" is in fact a britle thing, like the wings of a butterfly, easily shattered and lost too the winds of change, blown far out of grasp by even the slightest breeze of said winds.

Ok to redraft that into practical english:

THIS SUCKS!
And it't not because I am a gearhead (still trying to get that term used for gear fanboys) which I am, its because I freakin love Len Wiseman's work on the Underworld movies and love the action of the Fast and Furious movies and Wanted (even though I didn't realy like the movie).

But maybe this might help the movie. The last bit about it being changed from a multi generation war film too a single invasion movie might help keep the story line cohesive and simple rather than a half arsed epic. I would rather see an intense character driven "Saving Private Ryan" set in the Gears universe than a massive battle driven, wide scope epic like "Troy" that occasionally focuses in on one or two character's development before zooming out to focus (contradicted myself there) on a CGI masterpiece every five minutes...

Anyway what does it matter I'm probably going to go see this anyway, regardless of what they do to it.

Final Point: this is by New Line Cinema, the people who took a risk on LoTR and made it possible to do a modern epic (especially one about fantasy things) and make it respectable. I don't see why they can't put their nuts on the line again to make SCI-FI epic and well respected.

Magnifitacular

Feb 8, 2010
W-w-wait, what is so damn hard about making a Gears adaptation? Even Epic intended the game to be like a straightforward summer romp.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
The Critic said:
I've always been inclined to believe that video game stories might be better-suited to TV shows or a miniseries. But, I could just be delusional and indulging in some wishful thinking.
I'm tempted to agree, simply because of the amount of time video game stories take to convey. Even still, you're talking about a storytelling medium that relies on interactivity to involve the consumer, and adapting it to a passive medium.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
JEBWrench said:
The Critic said:
I've always been inclined to believe that video game stories might be better-suited to TV shows or a miniseries. But, I could just be delusional and indulging in some wishful thinking.
I'm tempted to agree, simply because of the amount of time video game stories take to convey. Even still, you're talking about a storytelling medium that relies on interactivity to involve the consumer, and adapting it to a passive medium.
That's the big problem with games, always the interactivity. For some games, where the story is essentially linear, it wouldn't be that bad, but it would affect the more open of games quite a bit. I guess you are right.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
The Critic said:
That's the big problem with games, always the interactivity. For some games, where the story is essentially linear, it wouldn't be that bad, but it would affect the more open of games quite a bit. I guess you are right.
Now, this can also go back to a point I suggested in one of the billions of threads about a Twilight game - if the franchise that is being ported to an unfamiliar medium is done so in such a way that the new product is only tangentially related, there seems to be a greater chance of success. (Case in point: The best Star Wars games, in my opinion, are not the ones directly based on the movies.)

I think that while this is likely accurate in movie to game translations, I believe the inverse to be accurate as well. A movie loosely based on a game in the same franchise/universe would be more likely to be accepted. Though Super Mario Bros. is solid evidence against that.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
JEBWrench said:
The Critic said:
Now, this can also go back to a point I suggested in one of the billions of threads about a Twilight game - if the franchise that is being ported to an unfamiliar medium is done so in such a way that the new product is only tangentially related, there seems to be a greater chance of success. (Case in point: The best Star Wars games, in my opinion, are not the ones directly based on the movies.)

I think that while this is likely accurate in movie to game translations, I believe the inverse to be accurate as well. A movie loosely based on a game in the same franchise/universe would be more likely to be accepted. Though Super Mario Bros. is solid evidence against that.
To further draw a parallel to Star Wars (I agree with your assesment of the basis for the best Star Wars games), perhaps video game-related TV shows or movies should only be connected to the actual game in terms of setting/universe. Maybe the shows should shed additional light on the background of the game, or the characters. They should add their own story, while still being related to the original one told in the game.

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
Catkid906 said:
Big Franchises don't get movies. Explain the Halo Movie, Metal Gear movie and the Bioshock movie. All of them have failed.

Calumon: I want a new Digimon movie. :mad:
When was there ever going to be a bioshock movie?

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
when I saw the title I thought the OP would just say that it was going to suck but I guess this is interesting as well.