Bad parts in great games.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Even the best games ever made have THAT part, whether it's a level, a boss, puzzle, whatever, that are so annoying and frustrating that it brings the rest of the game down.

For me, it's the Anor Londo Silver Knights in Dark Souls 1. If you try to block the arrows, you'll get knocked back, usually falling off the ledge and to your death. You just have to get lucky and make the Knight on the right fall off the ledge.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
First playthrough I managed to get past the Silver Knights on my 2nd try. Second playthrough it took 20+. By the third I had it down to a science and never had issue with it ever again

[hr]

Kingdom Hearts
Monstro - Getting lost in there sucks

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The random encounters in the fourth chapter of Final Fantasy Tactics is just garbage.

I can see a smaller version of what they were going for working out, but as it is it's just...bad.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The Bid Daddy part in Bioshock.
Bioshock is my favorite game of all time, but I won't pretend the parts where you're a Big Daddy are bullshit boring and repetitive and completely kill the pacing and story of the game.

Water Temple in Ocarina of Time. Because I was 8. Because fuck that water mechanic.

Virmire in Mass Effect. Fuck off. I ship Kaidan and Ashley and it was such a terrible gimmick!

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Probably the ship/cave part of Resident Evil 7, the game was awesome until you reached that part, it was very meh.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Nilfheim realm in God of War is pretty garbage. Luckily though you can completely ignore it.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The nigh inevitable "You have no town or a trash town thats locked and can't be upgraded" missions in Heroes of Might & Magic games.

ALways seemed like dumping half the game mechanics to try and facilitate some extra challenge was a bit of a cheap way to go about it.

(I'd say bonus points for 4's full on wannabe RPG missions with no non-hero units at all, but I wouldn't call 4 great to begin with)

Also the map quest in Ultima 6. It is a not particularly interesting multi-part obnoxious fetch quest that can easily take up half of a playthrough.

Oct 22, 2011
The terrible, awful, no-good, bad bad, shitty Hidden Valley part in original Hitman 2.
The one with the tunnel. The latter part with approach towards the castle could be somewhat justfied, despite still not being very good. The first could be cut out entirely without doing any harm to the game whatsoever. Would be the opposite in fact. It might be worse than the infamous jungle part in first game.
One of the worst examples of padding a game i can think of.

The Velvetopia in Psychonauts. It was more dissapointing, than bad(certainly not even near the same level as exaple above) to be honest. I picked this onevover the infamous Meat Circus, because i've knew of that one beforehand.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Replaying Arkham City on a higher difficulty setting has made me start to hate the Catwoman segments. Most of her gadgets aren't useful and she doesn't get many health upgrades. She has to fight large waves of well-armed baddies multiple times and a single combo can ruin you, but I suppose this is what I signed up for. Youtube videos make it look so easy.

Come of think of it, this game is implying that Selina Kyle is a more skilled fighter than Bats to get through all this madness with sub-par tech compared to him... while also wearing high heels.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The tedious sewer bit in Silent Hill 1.

The Water Temple in OoT (obvs).

Buggy driving section in HL2.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
CaitSeith said:
Obligatory Dark Souls' Blighttown post.
Pfft, people exaggerate, its not so bad if you're prepared.

Ornstein and Smough though?

Whenever I think about replaying Dark Souls, THAT part is what makes me go 'nah'.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Frostfound in Sunless Sea. A miserable trek that will deal damage to your character and will screw you over if you don't bring the right equipment and/or are there for a quest.

...No one knows what I'm talking about, do they?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Saelune said:
CaitSeith said:

Whenever I think about replaying Dark Souls, THAT part is what makes me go 'nah'.
I mean, Lost Izalith was the part the developers themselves apologized for.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Seth Carter said:
Saelune said:
CaitSeith said:

I mean, Lost Izalith was the part the developers themselves apologized for.
Culminating in the fucking Bed of Chaos, which is easily the worst part of the worst part of the game.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Fork Tower in FFV, which depowers physical attacks on one side and magic attacks on the other, and doesn't adequately explain this before making you split your party. It's also a slog if you had the gall to focus on some characters more than others.

The Ogir-Yensa Sandsea in FFXII, an endless trek through uninteresting rusty/ deserty terrain.

Jan 27, 2011
The stupid freakin' sewers in Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines.

You've just gone through a small house of horrors full of weird hoppy two legged mouth monsters with no humans to drain for blood. You've just fought a boss that summons more of them while teleporting around. And now...Sewers. FULL of those hoppy things and your only source of blood is rats (So if you're playing a Ventrue who can't feed on rats, you're screwed).

And then the sewers just keep going on and on and on and ON. So far on that there's legit 4 shortcuts back to the surface if you need to leave and resupply.

And then it has this super finicky water pipe timing puzzle where you have to make it through with almost second-perfect timing.

And then...Oh neat, a boss fight against this giant monster! Cool! ...Wait a minute...Oh no, now there's a maze segment with like 8 of them you either have to fight or sneak past.

And then you clear the maze path and...You need a keycard to leave. The keycard is in the maze segment, with the only clue being a one-time-only thing where a character appears and runs in a particular direction that leads to the keycard. So if you missed it, you're screwed and need to comb the entire freakin' maze crawling with baddies for it.

When I last played the game and found out a backdoor that lets you skip that whole giant segment and replaces it with a short run through a few tough monsters, I nearly jumped for joy.

Seriously, I can deal with boss fights that are punishingly hard if you're not built right on your first run, but those goddamn sewers are the part of that game that I DREAD every single time I re-install it.

Like, every other example I can remember of a bad part in a game is either just mildly annoying or just a letdown, or the game itself was just "alright" as opposed to great. Those sewers though...They really drag down an otherwise amazing game.