Badder-Ass Raiden Revealed For MGS: Rising

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Why can't Raiden just die and stay dead.

Trying to "fix" Raiden is like trying to fix Jar Jar Binks... he just should not fucking well be there, he is the worst character in recent video gaming history. His best appearance yet was in MGS3 where he was literally the bad guy's ***** where you get the ability to kill him yourself... ahhh.

And this pic of Raiden is not badass, this is fucking Todd McFarlane bullshit, with his emo hip cocked pose and mournful look, Jesus Christ, is he about to start crying again?!? He looks like a fucking tool, I don't want to play as him.

You want a clue of a good game character Mr Kojima, now THIS is badass:

-Beard: check
-Eyepatch: check
-bandanna: check
-camouflage face-paint: check
-Tits in the backgroud: check
-Fucking fighter jets: check

-buttock clench douchebag pose: no
-Wimpy power armour: no
-professionally styled platinum blonde hair: no
-Inexplicable lightening bullshit: no

Tom Phoenix said:
Since I never played any Metal Gear beyond the first MGS, I do not know Raiden. That leaves me a bit skeptical whether or not he makes for a good main character.

Having said that, the sheer fact that we are going to see a Metal Gear game on the PC makes me very excited and hopeful that this will turn out well.
Good for you, keep it that way as the series went DOWN HILL after that starting with MGS2 (though MGS3 was a return to form). And MGS1 saw a PC release.

Look at it this way, when Snake drove off into the Alaskan sunrise consider that the CHRONOLOGICAL END of the series as to continue along that path is an unbelievable amount of fail. MGS3 is the only other game in the series worth playing.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
generic gamer said:
Furburt said:
God, they really took all those "Raiden was a pussy in MGS2" comments to heart, didn't they?
It's a pity, I liked Raiden. Raiden was someone who's entire life was spent fighting for other people's ends and being forced to be something he's not. He knew he was being used but felt it was all he deserved basically. People fail to appreciate the difference between 'emo whiny *****' and 'understandably traumatised'.
Oh dear god, THIS.
Another example is Hope, from Final Fantasy 13. They complain about the angst and emo-ness but, the kid watched his mother plummet to her death for god's sake.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
MR.Spartacus said:
Furburt said:
God, they really took all those "Raiden was a pussy in MGS2" comments to heart, didn't they?
He may look cool but MGS4 proved he's still the same unlikeable whiny **** underneath. They'll need to prove they've done a MASSIVE rewrite before I care.
amen brother he fired off more tears than bullets in two, and got he ass kicked in every scene he was in during 4

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Furburt said:
you sound like your complaining
The only good Raiden is a long dead and long forgotten Raiden.

Ideally he should be ret-conned out of the entire Saga along with The Patriots and Everything that happened post MGS1 chronologically.

This direction even further towards power armour bullshit (oh but leave his cranium exposed for his PROFESSIONALLY STYLED HAIR!) is a pointless step in the wrong direction not that moving in the right direction could improve Raiden as a character i.e. draw on his child soldier roots as a kind of Che-Guevara young revolutionary type.

Actually... child soldier, power armour, monotone, brooding, bright florescent colours, de-emphasis on stealth... IT'S FUCKING HALO AGAIN! GRRRR!

Anyway, as a character he is worthless now, he has power cybernetics, he can be stabbed repeatedly through the chest with a fucking sword and just cure himself with the power of whining. There is no drama to his character being virtually indestructible.

Snake was a cool character because he was just a man and he took on a fucking 100 foot tall nuclear walking battle tank with just a god damn rocket launcher! Oh yeah, and the cyborg ninja that tried to tangle with it ... yeah, he got squished like a bug.

It's the David and Goliath confrontation we like, not stalemate overly fancy sword fights. MGS1 was great because Snake was almost constantly outnumbered and outclassed, he survived by his WITS and determination.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
I'd completely forgotten about this. Hm, here's hoping we'll get some clues as to the gameplay soon

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
generic gamer said:
It's a pity, I liked Raiden. Raiden was someone who's entire life was spent fighting for other people's ends and being forced to be something he's not. He knew he was being used but felt it was all he deserved basically. People fail to appreciate the difference between 'emo whiny *****' and 'understandably traumatised'.
I suppose the transformation is only consistent. Even though after the end of MGS:2 they hinted that Raiden's life would somewhat finally become normal, it pretty much only became worse. His new design represents how much he has been alienated, what his surroundings did to him and I'm interested in finding out what happened to him between MGS 2 and 4. Kojima proved with the latter that he knows how to tell stories about people getting traumatized.
Laughing Octopus and Crying Wolf were especially bad. Holy shit.

Treblaine said:
You should realize you filled half this page bashing Raiden and then think about what you're doing with your life. Seriously, it's exhausting. Your opinion is worth as much as anybody's, but you're being excessive.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Spacefly said:
Tom Goldman said:
Raiden is holding in his right hand... some kind of electric cat-o-nine tails. This could be the "lightning bolt action" referred to in the game's title. EDIT: Either that or, as the community points out, he probably just ripped out something's spine.
I also thought it looked like a spine but it appears the great community is ahead of me with their lightning fast action.

Tom Goldman said:
...it's the first hint we've gotten to where Metal Gear Solid: Rising will take the series. Will "lightning bolt action" radically change the series, or will series creator Hideo Kojima tie it in to the stealth-emphasized gameplay the series is known for? He successfully melded regular gunplay into MGS4, so maybe he's got something shocking up his sleeve for Rising too. I just said that, yes. It's a strong bet that something on Metal Gear Solid: Rising will come out of E3 2010 next week.
I don't think MGS:Rising is going to take the series anywhere. Kojima has already said that MGS:peace Walker is the real MGS:5 in his mind. So I'd say Rising is more of a detour or spin-off and the only way we'll say any more of its kind is with a MGS:Rising 2. But I could be wrong... Its not like I, or anyone else on the planet, knows what the hell is going on inside Kojima's head.

This is just another reason I can't wait for E3 this year.

Also... new raiden looks bad-ass, and this is going to be set before MGS4 right?
Just because a game is not part of the main number series, does not mean it wont affect the whole game universe.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
mrm5561 said:
MR.Spartacus said:
Furburt said:
He may look cool but MGS4 proved he's still the same unlikeable whiny **** underneath. They'll need to prove they've done a MASSIVE rewrite before I care.
amen brother he fired off more tears than bullets in two, and got he ass kicked in every scene he was in during 4
Apparantly you fell asleep during the 2nd coolest knife fight in gaming history.
It wouldn't be hard, the cutscenes - including the fight scenes - were so incredibly drawn out I constantly fought the tenancy to zone out as they drone more pyochobabble bullshit about The Patriots knowing full well 70% of it will be ignored, contradicted, or turn out to be lies and not to mention all the pointless filler.

And sorry, but the fights between Vamp and Raiden were lame as both had super regenerating ability and could take an almost comical amount of punishment. It was just stupid, I mean WHY THE FUCK stab a sword through yourself to stab someone grappling you from behind?!?!? It is utterly pointless as you hurt yourself more than them! It was the most contrived and stupid fight scene i have seen since a 1970's b-movie. I mean stabbing a knife through your foot and then kicking with the knife still embedded in your foot... no, it's too fucking stupid.

I mean the whole reason a knife fight is cool is every move is a second away from a severely debilitating move or death, same reason lightsabre fights were even better, the constant threat of being obliterated and burned in a high energy beam.

I loved MGS for its grounding in reality, with its hard Sci-Fi. Yes, there was a certain amount of suspension of belief needed with Vulcan Raven's Gatling cannon and so on but it was brought on carefully.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Hubilub said:
*slaps self*

Raiden finally badass?

I can't believe it myself...
Still the only one who thought Raiden was fucking awesome from the beginning... Oh well. I like being the minorty :D

OT....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
So he's MORE powerful than MGS4? The guy who spun 2 Gekkos in the air and STOPPED A GIANT OCEAN LINER WITH ONE ARM. Damn.
You know if he's anything like his MGS4 self then this game is going to be a lot less stealth and a lot more Devil May Cry.

Not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. I mean if your controling I cyborg ninja you want to be able to do that stuff, right?

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Furburt said:
And they are better for it. There's no where to go but up for Raiden after that piss poor performance in an other wise great game.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Gladion said:
generic gamer said:
I suppose the transformation is only consistent. Even though after the end of MGS:2 they hinted that Raiden's life would somewhat finally become normal, it pretty much only became worse. His new design represents how much he has been alienated, what his surroundings did to him and I'm interested in finding out what happened to him between MGS 2 and 4. Kojima proved with the latter that he knows how to tell stories about people getting traumatized.
Laughing Octopus and Crying Wolf were especially bad. Holy shit.

Treblaine said:
You should realize you filled half this page bashing Raiden and then think about what you're doing with your life. Seriously, it's exhausting. Your opinion is worth as much as anybody's, but you're being excessive.
I haven't even said half of what has to be said about Raiden, and don't pull that pussy ass "what are you doing with your life" bullshit with me, that is as weak as it gets. Want to try some more ad hominem attacks? Hmm? maybe try some Godwin's Law bullshit.

Jesus Christ.

Raiden has hijacked my favourite series, usurping the resourceful, confident and supremely capable Snake with a whiny brat.

No one can say a thing to Raiden without him complaining, making excuses or soliloquise about how worthless he is. This does not say "child soldier" to me, this say spoiled brat, his "jack the killer" moniker seems completely detached from the character as depicted.

When Fatman says "I want to be the greatest bomber ever"
Raiden replies: "No you won't, you will never be as great as Silverman, he saved lives while all you can do is kill" (paraphrased)
That is NOT a badass response, that is a pussy-ass liberal bullshit response. Fu - king- lame.

In fact the entire "child soldier" aspect I find EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE. The point is he is a lame character and simply saying "ohh, he was a child soldier" in the most lazy piece of banal exposition I have ever seen it tries to draw on real world depressing stories of child soldiers in Africa. Utterly exploitative and cheap. But nothing about his character so far lines up with that, he seems as uncertain as a good damn fresh out of boot camp rookie. He is always reluctant to shoot and act like any other emo douchebag.

In fact his girlfriend is a controlling liberal *****, she has a hissy fit if he ever talks back at her from her CONSTANT NAGGING and passive aggressive manipulation. Of sweet fuck, the codec calls between them are annoying like a dull pain in the testicles.

And it's classic emo bullshit to complain about "being used" when you are ordered BY YOUR MILITARY COMMANDERS to complete a mission... which in Snake's case was to save the world from nuclear annihilation. Now that is a mission you don't want to fail. Snake was "used" but he wasn't a ***** about it at least and got on with the job without whining.

Raiden has no excuse to ***** about his circumstances because the plot to MGS2 as it MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL!!! He has no reason to be bitter, he has reason to check into a mental hospital if that is the way he saw events unfolding he is clearly suffering from severe hallucinations and disconnect from anything that could possibly be reality. The Patriots make no sense, the ending makes no sense, Solidus Snake's motivation makes no sense, Arsenal Gear makes no sense, his mission beginning makes no sense.

Also, he has a woman's ass. Seriously, the first art of him leaked to the public everyone thought "Hmm, who's the hot chick?". He is always in an effeminate pose with his thighs crossed.
Oh yeah, and he repeatedly gets his balls fondled by old men.

In fact, Kojima forcing him to run (and cartwheel) around naked clutching his privates, slipping on bird poo, constantly being ridiculed, beaten up and humiliated. Kojima wants us to hate him, he sure spends a lot of time deliberately embarrassing the character.

Oh, the cartwheel attack... Fucking seriously!?!? What is he, a pre-pubescent girl? What about a good old forward-roll like Snake does? It makes sense in terms of momentum and practicality of how it is intermediary to landing in a prone position.