Badder-Ass Raiden Revealed For MGS: Rising

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Badder-Ass Raiden Revealed For MGS: Rising

Raiden's duds look to have gotten even more powerful than they were in Metal Gear Solid 4.

A new image of Metal Gear Solid: Rising [http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Rising-Xbox-360/dp/B002BRZ8FW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276197171&sr=8-2]'s packaging lifted from Xbox Live Marketplace gives us a full view of what Raiden will be wearing in the game. From the back, anyway.

While Raiden's cyborg-ninja suit from first rendered image [http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Guns-Patriots-PlayStation/dp/B000FQ2D5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276198354&sr=8-1] of him from Rising, Konami's in-development next-gen Metal Gear title, showed this would be the case, but now we've got a body shot.

Raiden still carries his trademark sword, but also has a powerful looking rifle strapped to his back. The most interesting reveal in the new image is whatever Raiden is holding in his right hand, which looks like some kind of electric cat-o-nine tails. This could be the "lightning bolt action" referred to in the game's title. EDIT: Either that or, as the community points out, he probably just ripped out something's spine.

Sure, this is just one leaked image, but it's the first hint we've gotten to where Metal Gear Solid: Rising will take the series. Will "lightning bolt action" radically change the series, or will series creator Hideo Kojima tie it in to the stealth-emphasized gameplay the series is known for? He successfully melded regular gunplay into MGS4, so maybe he's got something shocking up his sleeve for Rising too. I just said that, yes. It's a strong bet that something on Metal Gear Solid: Rising will come out of E3 2010 next week.

Via: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=250457]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
HOLY CRAP!

So where's the stealth, and why is Raiden holding a glow worm? Is it going to recharge his batteries?

Calumon: Series Reference No Jutsu~!

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
This actually looks really, really fun. Here's hope the game actually contains some gameplay!

Tom Goldman said:
He successfully melded regular gunplay into MGS4, so maybe he's got something shocking up his sleeve for Rising too. I just said that, yes.
*Facedesk*

Jack and Calumon said:
So where's the stealth, and why is Raiden holding a glow worm? Is it going to recharge his batteries?
It looks more like he just ripped out some poor cyborg's spine :D

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
'Eh, I prefer the sleeker look of the old Raiden. It made him look more like a ninja, now me looks more like a warrior that will be fighting instead of sneaking.

I wonder if this is going to be a stealth game at all...

Gh0st1y_H

Jan 11, 2010
I have high hopes for this game.

Seriously, I like the new Raiden look, and I hope the stealth system stays intact despite the changes.

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
Furburt said:
God, they really took all those "Raiden was a pussy in MGS2" comments to heart, didn't they?
He may look cool but MGS4 proved he's still the same unlikeable whiny **** underneath. They'll need to prove they've done a MASSIVE rewrite before I care.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nimbus said:
This actually looks really, really fun. Here's hope the game actually contains some gameplay!

Tom Goldman said:
He successfully melded regular gunplay into MGS4, so maybe he's got something shocking up his sleeve for Rising too. I just said that, yes.
*Facedesk*

Jack and Calumon said:
It looks more like he just ripped out some poor cyborg's spine :D
Uh, whoops.. yeah... it probably is a spine. That's more likely than a lightning worm whip.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I don't know what was wrong with Raiden in the first place. He was never that bad, except that he's not Solid Snake.

Tom Goldman said:
He successfully melded regular gunplay into MGS4,
I am might be a bit of a MGS fanboy, but I'm one of the few who agree.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
So he's MORE powerful than MGS4? The guy who spun 2 Gekkos in the air and STOPPED A GIANT OCEAN LINER WITH ONE ARM. Damn.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Raiden still carries his trademark sword,
Its not his trademark, its the TM of a Cyborg Ninja, which he is I'll give you that.

But its not his trademark