Baelor

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
ok...lemme ask as I don't have HBO and these look like something I might enjoy. Is Games of the Throne a book, a game or is the TV series based off of? I think I have seen both novels and table top games baring the same name and just want to know which came first.

***Answered***

loui.emma

Mar 11, 2009
It is clever how all the characters are looking the other way (or unconcious) when there is a battle. War, like sport, is much more exciting when you only follow the scores after the fact.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
loui.emma said:
It is clever how all the characters are looking the other way (or unconcious) when there is a battle. War, like sport, is much more exciting when you only follow the scores after the fact.
No...sports are far more exciting watching the scoring.

AGrey

Apr 3, 2010
bdcjacko said:
ok...lemme ask as I don't have HBO and these look like something I might enjoy. Is Games of the Throne a book, a game or is the TV series based off of? I think I have seen both novels and table top games baring the same name and just want to know which came first.
It's a series of books.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
AGrey said:
bdcjacko said:
It's a series of books.
Thanks bro, how do the books match up to the show? I'm almost certain the show will be on Netflix at some point and I'll catch it then. Would you read the books first or watch the show first?

AGrey

Apr 3, 2010
Season 1 of the show follows book 1, I don't know if they're going to keep the '1 book > 1 season' ratio (book 2 is very long, it might be more than one season of TV can cover)

I would read the books first, were I in your position.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
bdcjacko said:
AGrey said:
bdcjacko said:
It's a series of books.
Thanks bro, how do the books match up to the show? I'm almost certain the show will be on Netflix at some point and I'll catch it then. Would you read the books first or watch the show first?
As is often the case, the books are far, FAR more detailed than the show. The entire plot with Viserys, Daenerys, and the Dothraki, for example, is fleshed out a great deal in the books, but barely addressed in the show.

Of course, the one downside to reading the books before seeing the show is that you know what's coming, and given how shocking certain events are, it might be more fun to hold off on the books until the show is done. That said, I *think* each season is based on a single book, so after next week, you could read the first book pretty safely.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
bdcjacko said:
AGrey said:
bdcjacko said:
It's a series of books.
As is often the case, the books are far, FAR more detailed than the show. The entire plot with Viserys, Daenerys, and the Dothraki, for example, is fleshed out a great deal in the books, but barely addressed in the show.

Of course, the one downside to reading the books before seeing the show is that you know what's coming, and given how shocking certain events are, it might be more fun to hold off on the books until the show is done. That said, I *think* each season is based on a single book, so after next week, you could read the first book pretty safely.
Oh, that is cool. I've seen Scott Pilgrim 3 or 4 times before I started reading those, and I am glad I did it in that order.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Don't exactly remember the details in the book, since I read Game of Thrones three years ago, but the series seems to be very faithful to the book in terms of events, if not detail, which is nice. This is actually the first HBO show I've watched, and I must say, it's a lot better than any of the crap shows on regular cable.

fi6eka said:
Guys, have anyone notised how when Sean Bean plays the good and honoroble hero, he always kind of dies half way thrue the show.

When I read the books i didn't really cared much about Ned's death, but now it sucks because Sean Bean is such a great actor and I really wanted to see more of him in the show.
You didn't care in the book? D:

I was shocked...stupefied even. He was the goddamn protagonist!

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
fi6eka said:
Guys, have anyone notised how when Sean Bean plays the good and honoroble hero, he always kind of dies half way thrue the show.

When I read the books i didn't really cared much about Ned's death, but now it sucks because Sean Bean is such a great actor and I really wanted to see more of him in the show.
When Sean's offered a role he only reads the first 10 pages of the script, and then accepts. Then during the shooting he'll be rehearsing his lines forthe next scene and goes like 'Wait..how many arrows? But how am I going to survive for part tw...goddammit, not again...'.

See also, Equilibrium.

lupis42

Mar 16, 2010
FYI, the good Maester at the wall is not the brother of the mad king. He's the brother of the Mad Kings' GRANDFATHER

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I'm impressed with Rob's cunning. Horrible that he had to send 2000 men to their deaths, but wise beyond his years and experience and more ruthless than I thought a Stark was capable of. Letting the spy go was something strange but then he knows exactly how much his enemy knows.

I guess Jofrey inherited his family's mean streak. Let's hope he has some degenerative disease from his uncle being his father. I think Fat Bob's brothers should join the Stark army.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
Xzi said:
fi6eka said:

He dies off in nearly all the roles he plays, regardless of being good or bad, lol. LoTR, the Hitcher, Goldeneye, Troy, Equilibrium, Game of Thrones. Great actor, though. One tough bastard, too:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43395782/ns/today-entertainment/
He actually never died in Troy. He delivered the final speech of the film.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Anyone else notice that a few of these paragraphs were describing the previous episode?

OT: Fantastic episode. I'd say the best one yet.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Crimson_Dragoon said:
Anyone else notice that a few of these paragraphs were describing the previous episode?

OT: Fantastic episode. I'd say the best one yet.
Hmmm...apologies if I overlapped. I watched two weeks back to back, so it's possible I was mistaken in some of my recap.

Jun 11, 2008
bdcjacko said:
AGrey said:
bdcjacko said:
It's a series of books.
It is on Sky Atlantic if you have that.

OT: I kinda did see Ned dying. Jeoffry is too much of a **** to do even a remotely half decent thing. I think he needs a smack.............. from a warhammer or something like this
That should sort the little prick out.