Baelor

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Glademaster said:
bdcjacko said:
AGrey said:
bdcjacko said:
ok...lemme ask as I don't have HBO and these look like something I might enjoy. Is Games of the Throne a book, a game or is the TV series based off of? I think I have seen both novels and table top games baring the same name and just want to know which came first.
It's a series of books.
Thanks bro, how do the books match up to the show? I'm almost certain the show will be on Netflix at some point and I'll catch it then. Would you read the books first or watch the show first?
It is on Sky Atlantic if you have that.
I only have netflix.

Jun 11, 2008
bdcjacko said:
Glademaster said:
bdcjacko said:
AGrey said:
bdcjacko said:
ok...lemme ask as I don't have HBO and these look like something I might enjoy. Is Games of the Throne a book, a game or is the TV series based off of? I think I have seen both novels and table top games baring the same name and just want to know which came first.
It's a series of books.
Thanks bro, how do the books match up to the show? I'm almost certain the show will be on Netflix at some point and I'll catch it then. Would you read the books first or watch the show first?
It is on Sky Atlantic if you have that.
I only have netflix.
Well Sky Atlantic is a channel on Sky but anyway I suppose you'll just have to wait I suppose.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Hmmm...apologies if I overlapped. I watched two weeks back to back, so it's possible I was mistaken in some of my recap.
Well there was only one event that I see has been missed in the review. It seems rather minor when you consider the episode in its totality, but it has a significant implication.

I'm referring to Ser Jorah slaying the Dothraki warrior who attempted to stop the blood magic.

Considering how awesome many of the other fight scenes have been, its important to note how this one ended before you could even start leaning in from your seat. The Dothraki warrior (who I think was Drogo's brother) swings a few times, but Ser Jorah just pins the weapon to his chest and slits opponents throat...

So much for being fierce warriors, right?

This is important I think, not only because it adds tension between the foreigner queen and the tribe but because it shows just how unprepared the Dothraki really are for a war on the Seven Kingdoms.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
hansari said:
Susan Arendt said:
Hmmm...apologies if I overlapped. I watched two weeks back to back, so it's possible I was mistaken in some of my recap.
Well there was only one event that I see has been missed in the review. It seems rather minor when you consider the episode in its totality, but it has a significant implication.

I'm referring to Ser Jorah slaying the Dothraki warrior who attempted to stop the blood magic.

Considering how awesome many of the other fight scenes have been, its important to note how this one ended before you could even start leaning in from your seat. The Dothraki warrior (who I think was Drogo's brother) swings a few times, but Ser Jorah just pins the weapon to his chest and slits opponents throat...

So much for being fierce warriors, right?

This is important I think, not only because it adds tension between the foreigner queen and the tribe but because it shows just how unprepared the Dothraki really are for a war on the Seven Kingdoms.
I actually had forgotten about that, given everything else that was going on in that sequence. Thanks for adding!

I think it was also not so much about being unprepared for battle as unprepared for armor. But still - might make them think twice about charging into Westeros.

El_Ganso

Jun 7, 2010
The Dothraki are feared while on horseback, remember that earlier in the season they say that King Bob would be stupid enough to meet them head on in the open field?

One on one they don't stand much of a chance against a well trained armored knight (although Bronn may have something to say about that :p ) but forty thousand horse lords barreling towards a footman formation is still a very fearful thing to behold.

Also, the Dothraki that Jorah killed was not Drogo's natural brother, he was his Blood Rider, which means he has sworn an oath to give his life for his Khal's, much like the Knights of the King's Guard in Westeros, but the Dothraki take it to the next level: a Khal and his blood riders are one, when the Khal dies all the Blood Riders take their life to follow their Khal; during life a Khal and his Blood Riders are more than brothers, they share everything including wifes (fortunately for Deany Drogo's riders chosed not to exercise that right).

This is an important thing to note because Deany's situation depends on the Blood Rider's oath.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
One thing to note, I believe Maester Aemon was actually the Mad King's great-uncle, not brother. Which is impressive considering Aerys had grandchildren.

Dude's old, yo.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
They cut out Tyrion's fight!? I was looking forward to it. I did think, however, the scene where Ned is executed was done better in the show than the book.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Lord_Panzer said:
Susan Arendt said:
One thing to note, I believe Maester Aemon was actually the Mad King's great-uncle, not brother. Which is impressive considering Aerys had grandchildren.

Dude's old, yo.
Ok, that explanation made me giggle. :)

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
GoddyofAus said:
Xzi said:
He dies off in nearly all the roles he plays, regardless of being good or bad, lol. LoTR, the Hitcher, Goldeneye, Troy, Equilibrium, Game of Thrones. Great actor, though. One tough bastard, too:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43395782/ns/today-entertainment/
He actually never died in Troy. He delivered the final speech of the film.
This. Sean plays Odysseus in Troy.

Odysseus.

You know, as in the Odyssey? That epic journey coming back from Troy, where he must not have died if he's now being all epic-quest to go home? (Spoiler alert: he doesn't die in that story, either.)

This may be relevant to your interests. [http://www.compleatseanbean.com/deathbycow.html]

anian

Sep 10, 2008
The only dissapointment in this episode was not seeing a battle, but I guess this plot progress is slightly better considering I don't have any idea what's gonna happen next and the end of the battle

On the story side of things, the whole prebattle drinking scenes were kind of weird, was it supposed to accomplish something? If it's a step towards Tyiron's side switching (to give motivations for it)...just really felt kind of rushed considering everything else. Really have no idea how this is going to end, but it seems to me that an extra episode or tow would've done some good to the show, although the pace might suffer with that.

Can't wait for monday (because that's when the new episodes air here).

p.s.
Xzi said:
One tough bastard, too:

Sean Bean is the man, this story reminded me of that motel scene from Drive angry. But seriously that guy looks like a tough guy you would like on your side in a bar brawl...where you'd just keep out of the way.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Hopefully the queen doesn't wonder why her late husband wanted Joffrey to come of age before taking the crown, now she'll see the monster she's allowed to sit on the thrown. That and the inevitable war that will result.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
TheShogun said:
Guess Ned Stark won't beheading for the next season eh?
oooh, clever lad! Very clever.

Only one thing disappointed me this episode: The lack of battle. They spent a whole fucking episode building up to it, and then Tyrion gets knocked out and misses the whole damn thing. I'm not sure if it was meant to be funny, or if they just didn't have the budget for it.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Xzi said:
fi6eka said:
Guys, have anyone notised how when Sean Bean plays the good and honoroble hero, he always kind of dies half way thrue the show.

When I read the books i didn't really cared much about Ned's death, but now it sucks because Sean Bean is such a great actor and I really wanted to see more of him in the show.
He dies off in nearly all the roles he plays, regardless of being good or bad, lol. LoTR, the Hitcher, Goldeneye, Troy, Equilibrium, Game of Thrones. Great actor, though. One tough bastard, too:

He didn't die in Troy...

He was the last person to say anything in that movie at the funeral.

OT: This explanation actually helped me out immensely more than the others today. I had the feeling that Ned was going to die, but I thought he died extremely out of character and rather cowardly.

I didn't realize he was saving Sansa.
Soviet Heavy said:
TheShogun said:
Guess Ned Stark won't beheading for the next season eh?
oooh, clever lad! Very clever.

Only one thing disappointed me this episode: The lack of battle. They spent a whole fucking episode building up to it, and then Tyrion gets knocked out and misses the whole damn thing. I'm not sure if it was meant to be funny, or if they just didn't have the budget for it.
It was to save some time. From what I understand, they've already had to make tremendous sacrifices to keep this show rolling along at the pace it is.

If you're here for the fighting, you're going to be disappointed.

Edit: But seriously, is it in Sean Bean's contract that he must die by the end of whatever show he is starring in?

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Has anyone noticed Maisie Williams' sudden growth spurt? I noticed she's filling out, which took me away from watching for a moment, to be honest; because at that point in the story, in the books, Arya is described as being a bit on the malnourished side of things, as she's been having to make ends meet however she can--eating dodgy meat, rinky dinky broths, and birds and overall having a pretty hard time scoring some food, but Williams looks anything but hungry. Thankfully she's a fantastic actress so everything will be fine.

I guess that's to be expected. But I wonder if at some point Arya will end up towering over Sansa 'cause dealing with kids over long periods of time, and in TV shows, is always full of surprises. Hopefully butthurt fans won't jump on her case when production resumes and she, Williams, looks different than when Season 1 ended.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
bahumat42 said:
dyre said:
Don't exactly remember the details in the book, since I read Game of Thrones three years ago, but the series seems to be very faithful to the book in terms of events, if not detail, which is nice. This is actually the first HBO show I've watched, and I must say, it's a lot better than any of the crap shows on regular cable.

fi6eka said:
Guys, have anyone notised how when Sean Bean plays the good and honoroble hero, he always kind of dies half way thrue the show.

When I read the books i didn't really cared much about Ned's death, but now it sucks because Sean Bean is such a great actor and I really wanted to see more of him in the show.
You didn't care in the book? D:

I was shocked...stupefied even. He was the goddamn protagonist!
whatwhatwhat
your first?

Heres your catchup list (In order of importance)

The wire
Band of brothers
a tie between boardwalk empire and the sopranos
and lastly the pacific

(if its not obvious, im a fan of one of the few channels around daring to make intelligent scripted television)
Geez, I'm already swamped with video games and books I need to catch up on, and now you give me this? Thanks a lot >:|

I'll watch that stuff...eventually :p