Balance changes you'd like to see in UMvC3

Dec 14, 2009
So, a 'new' Marvel vs Capcom game with new characters.

However, what changes would you like to see to existing characters.

Buffs?
Nerfs?

Personally, I'd like to see Wesker and Wolverine nerfed. Both of these characters are far too lethal compared to other characters of their type and stamina level, and the hit degredation on their attacks is stupidly low (if you've ever been comboed by either of them, you know what I mean).

X-factor needs reducing significantly (which, I understand, is being done). Too many times I've had my entire team wiped out by Dark Phoenix with X-factor, simply from chip damage.

X-23 needs some sort of aerial ultra, just to mix her game up a little bit, and her low assist needs a little boost.

Morrigan's rockets ultra is next to useless at range, that should be replaced with Soul Eraser from the older games.

Your ideas?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Wesker is getting nerfed.. sort of. His health is being dropped to be in line with an average member of the cast. He'll still be powerful, but he won't be the unkillable beast he is now. If the Sentinel health nerf was anything to go by, you will see a lot less Wesker's out there.

Wolverine is getting nerfed as well. He's not going to as fast and he won't have the same properties on some of his moves such that he'll not longer be the unstoppable killing machine he is now. His buddy Akuma's tastu assist is also being nerfed to not hit in the same way so Wolvie/Akuma won't be as overpowered a combination.

Phoenix is getting nerfs, particularly in how she plays in X-Factor from what I understand. They aren't major nerfs as the character is meant to be extremely powerful however with other characters likely becoming more powerful and the addition of the aerial exchange super bar steal variant should balance things out better than they are now.

X-Factor is getting changed so that it impacts each character the same instead of giving some the insane boosts it used to while leaving others weak, and I believe I've heard the damage boost is being slightly toned down as well. It's still going to be a powerful and important tool to make use of but hopefully it will at least be as useful for everyone instead of being game breakers for a handful.

Personally, I'm a long time Ryu fan so I'm hoping his new moves and buffs make him more of a viable character.. then again, Chris G does damn well with him on his team so he's far from the garbage in vanilla that everyone thinks he is.

Other than that, I just can't wait to be playing Strider again (even if Ouroboros isn't as good as it used to be *cry*).

Dec 14, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Wesker is getting nerfed.. sort of. His health is being dropped to be in line with an average member of the cast. He'll still be powerful, but he won't be the unkillable beast he is now. If the Sentinel health nerf was anything to go by, you will see a lot less Wesker's out there.

Wolverine is getting nerfed as well. He's not going to as fast and he won't have the same properties on some of his moves such that he'll not longer be the unstoppable killing machine he is now. His buddy Akuma's tastu assist is also being nerfed to not hit in the same way so Wolvie/Akuma won't be as overpowered a combination.

Phoenix is getting nerfs, particularly in how she plays in X-Factor from what I understand. They aren't major nerfs as the character is meant to be extremely powerful however with other characters likely becoming more powerful and the addition of the aerial exchange super bar steal variant should balance things out better than they are now.

X-Factor is getting changed so that it impacts each character the same instead of giving some the insane boosts it used to while leaving others weak, and I believe I've heard the damage boost is being slightly toned down as well. It's still going to be a powerful and important tool to make use of but hopefully it will at least be as useful for everyone instead of being game breakers for a handful.

Personally, I'm a long time Ryu fan so I'm hoping his new moves and buffs make him more of a viable character.. then again, Chris G does damn well with him on his team so he's far from the garbage in vanilla that everyone thinks he is.

Other than that, I just can't wait to be playing Strider again (even if Ouroboros isn't as good as it used to be *cry*).
That's good to hear.

I hear Magneto is being changed so that he focuses more on ranged combat, rather than that ridiculous wave-dashing shit he's got going in vanilla.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
That's good to hear.

I hear Magneto is being changed so that he focuses more on ranged combat, rather than that ridiculous wave-dashing shit he's got going in vanilla.
Mags is getting some sort of change that alters his playstyle a little, though I don't recall what at the moment. But he's also getting a new ranged magnetic grapple that can be used to either push an opponent away or pull them towards him, so he's going to be in your face whether you like it or not. Mags is just too loved in "Mahvel" to get much nerfing even if his playstyle gets tweaked here and there.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
I'm a bit more concerned on the game not pulling what I call a "Super Smash Bros.", which is nerfing all the previously existing characters until they're almost perfectly balanced, then tossing in the new characters who are so broken you want to hunt down the person in charge of the balanced design and crucify him.

For instance, Link was kinda bullshit in SSB Melee, to compensate they took away most of his nonsense attacks (He's now worst in the game but shhhhhh), but MetaKnight is easily spammable and wrecks almost all opponents. I can just imagine Hawkeye being a god character and them removing Hulk's invulnerability entirely.

Dec 14, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Daystar Clarion said:
That's good to hear.

Mags is getting some sort of change that alters his playstyle a little, though I don't recall what at the moment. But he's also getting a new ranged magnetic grapple that can be used to either push an opponent away or pull them towards him, so he's going to be in your face whether you like it or not. Mags is just too loved in "Mahvel" to get much nerfing even if his playstyle gets tweaked here and there.
Yeah, I think the whole pull and push thing is being implemented, and then his movement speed is going to be slowed to sort of balance it out.

I'd like to see what they've changed about Ammy.

Dec 14, 2009
OrokuSaki said:
I'm a bit more concerned on the game not pulling what I call a "Super Smash Bros.", which is nerfing all the previously existing characters until they're almost perfectly balanced, then tossing in the new characters who are so broken you want to hunt down the person in charge of the balanced design and crucify him.

For instance, Link was kinda bullshit in SSB Melee, to compensate they took away most of his nonsense attacks (He's now worst in the game but shhhhhh), but MetaKnight is easily spammable and wrecks almost all opponents. I can just imagine Hawkeye being a god character and them removing Hulk's invulnerability entirely.
I certainly understand that.

Metaknight is broken to the point of hilarity. Hopefully this game will get more attention in terms of patching, so that any balance issues are recitified quickly.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
- X-Factor nerfed and normalized (No more useless Doom XF3, no more unbelievable Akuma XF3).
- Wolverine toned down slightly. Reduced speed on Berserker Slash, slightly less damage on Fatal Claw.
- All characters MUST have their own OTG. This is one of the reasons that some characters (Captain America for example) are unplayable.
- More mobility for Hulk. Perhaps make Gamma Charge pass through projectiles?
- Phoenix teleport nerf. Slower start-up, more delay afterwards.
- Wesker health nerf and slower start-up on his gun.
- Reduced start-up on Storm's Typhoon, Lightning Sphere, and Whirlwind. Increased range on some of her ground normals (Low B is the biggy).
- Increased range on almost all of Akuma's normals. Reduced damage or slower start-up on his Beam super. Right now Akuma is only viable because his Super and Tatsu assist are incredible.
- Reduced invulnerability on Tron's Gustaff Fire assist.
- Increased hit stun degredation on some of Dante's moves, in particular the Hammer. Right now Dante has 100% combos without meter because he can basically go infinite on you.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

Metaknight is broken to the point of hilarity. Hopefully this game will get more attention in terms of patching, so that any balance issues are recitified quickly.
I didn't even think of that, patching could fix balance issues.

Dec 14, 2009
OrokuSaki said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I didn't even think of that, patching could fix balance issues.
Well in MvC3, they reduced Sentinel's health by a massive amount and patched some unlimited combos that some characters had.

Dec 14, 2009
MetallicaRulez0 said:
- X-Factor nerfed and normalized (No more useless Doom XF3, no more unbelievable Akuma XF3).
- Wolverine toned down slightly. Reduced speed on Berserker Slash, slightly less damage on Fatal Claw.
- All characters MUST have their own OTG. This is one of the reasons that some characters (Captain America for example) are unplayable.
- More mobility for Hulk. Perhaps make Gamma Charge pass through projectiles?
- Phoenix teleport nerf. Slower start-up, more delay afterwards.
- Wesker health nerf and slower start-up on his gun.
- Reduced start-up on Storm's Typhoon, Lightning Sphere, and Whirlwind. Increased range on some of her ground normals (Low B is the biggy).
- Increased range on almost all of Akuma's normals. Reduced damage or slower start-up on his Beam super. Right now Akuma is only viable because his Super and Tatsu assist are incredible.
- Reduced invulnerability on Tron's Gustaff Fire assist.
- Increased hit stun degredation on some of Dante's moves, in particular the Hammer. Right now Dante has 100% combos without meter because he can basically go infinite on you.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
I definately agree with the whole OTG issue.

My team consists of Ammy, X-23 and Morrigan.

Guess which character I have to aerial combo switch into to have any chance of getting a long combo?

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
I'm not really planning on getting UMvC3 and I only had MvC3 for about a week soonafter the game came out, so what would I know.

... But holy shit, has Sentinel been nerfed yet!? If not, him. I heard he got a health nerf, but somehow I don't think that helped.

Or, more likely, I just sucked at the game.

Dec 14, 2009
Last Hugh Alive said:
I'm not really planning on getting UMvC3 and I only had MvC3 for about a week soonafter the game came out, so what would I know.

... But holy shit, has Sentinel been nerfed yet!? If not, him. I heard he got a health nerf, but somehow I don't think that helped.

He got a health nerf, it got reduced from somewhere around 1,500,000 to 950,000, which helped a lot, but most of the things that made him fundamentally broken, i.e. effective ranged attacks and hyper armour were left in. I still think he's a broken piece of shit, personally.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Sentinel was broken in Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and from what I played in 3 he was just as broken in that, if not moreso. (Only rented it.)

I was waiting on the lower priced, more content heavy MvC3 so I'm pretty happy with Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 regardless of balance changes. I really liked the original game when I rented it, but I didn't think it was worth 60$. 40$ is much more reasonable for me, and I'm happy they brought back my favorite character from Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Strider.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Last Hugh Alive said:

He got a health nerf, it got reduced from somewhere around 1,500,000 to 950,000, which helped a lot, but most of the things that made him fundamentally broken, i.e. effective ranged attacks and hyper armour were left in. I still think he's a broken piece of shit, personally.
Nah, his health is so low now that he can die if caught in one good combo. Plus, calling him in as an assist is now really risky, which nullifies one of the things that made him so useful. He can't even reliably dodge getting hit because of his huge hitbox to boot. There is a reason why the tournament scene completely dropped Sentinel post-nerf.

As for my suggestions:

Wesker: Lower health, higher recovery/start up on gun
Akuma: Tatsu assist still hits OTG, but has longer start-up and only hits once
Wolverine: Longer recovery on dive kicks, harder damage falloff

The Seldom Seen Kid

Apr 28, 2010
I hate X-Factor, I hope they remove it/nerf it significantly.

Other then that, I'm fine with most characters, except Storm (too hard to hit if she keeps spamming tornadoes) and X-23 (too fast).

Aglaid

Mar 27, 2011
I want equal characters, I want Felicia to be just as viable as Sentinel, ect...

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Buffs?
Nerfs?
Nerf1: Make it so Ammy takes some actual skill to combo as (fHHHHHHHH...)
Nerf2: Taskys Arrow Legion needs to do less damage
Nerf3: Dark Phoenix and Phoenix in General needs to be less spammy/less chip
Nerf4: Do something about Hulk
Nerf5: Sentinel.. enough said

Buff1: maybe make ironman's Smart Bombs have different ranges (similar to Dormammu's)
Buff2: Give Captain America a piratical OTG
Buff3: speed up Chris a bit
Buff4: Give Joe some more ranged/slide normals
Buff5: Arthur, Backdash, DO IT!

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Last Hugh Alive said:

He went from 1,300,000 to 930,000. His health really was the thing that made him broken. Without the highest health in the game he's just a very good assist character and a very mediocre point character. You can no longer just mash on drone assist all day, because he can be taken out very easily.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
How about this for balance: I would like it to actually have punch and kick buttons. You know, like a... oh, FIGHTING GAME! I can't believe what a step backwards MVC3 was, I hope they fix this.