Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access impression

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
This is early access priced at $60. Take that as you will

Welp, here we go! One of my most anticipated releases aside from cyberpunk for this year. Ever since it's announcement last year, I have been following all the news related to BG3. A sequel to an old series that I love, made by the same guys who made Divinity games? Yes please! Now that I got to try out a few hours with the game, I'd like to share with you my thoughts on the early access

Story & characters
You, the player character, is a survivor of a airship that was controlled by mind flayers, the Cthulu-looking race looking to abduct and turn you into one of their thralls. There's this parasite in your brain that is slowing turning you into a thrall. After the crash you wake up on a beach, looking for ways to remove the parasite.

I must say, the backstory alone has immersed me. Given this game is based on Dnd, I guess it doesn't surprise me. I always found backstories and the plot of dnd sessions to be well-written, and bg3 is no exception. They don't like to hide how the transformation is excruciating, and i think I felt that.

The characters you meet are your standard quirky party members, all with different personalities and motivations. These character archtypes are found everywhere in gaming nowdays, but because how well they are voice-acted, it makes them unique to characters from other games that are a lot like them

Gameplay
And this is the point where I feel it will divide a lot of you; The gameplay is quite similiar to that of DOS series, except this time with more Dnd element. The combat is turn-based, and the chance for your action to be successful depends on a dice system, and the environmental factors. The spells and skills will also reflect a lot from dnd 5e, but some spells are kinda weak compare to its source material. It might be slow, but I personally prefer this type of combat instead of real time, so I can tell what's actually going on. When you are outside of combat, you can choose to either take an instant short rest or a long rest at the camp. As the names suggest, short rest will recover partial hp and spell slots while long rest will recover everything and remove negative effects.

On dialog, you get to roll virtual d20 to see if you are successful. I am seeing a lot of complaints about how bad this is, and how it dice breaks immersion, but I'd argue it adds immersion. It makes you feel like you are playing an actual dnd session, and it is as if you are rolling your dice for your chance of success. Besides, the dialog minigame with certain chance of success has been around RPGs for god know how long, so I don't know why this has suddenly become a problem.

Graphics
I want to say this is one of the most beautiful-looking games of 2020, but there are texture bugs everywhere. Some environmental texture takes a few second before it loads, and you are stuck with looking at blurry and jaggy textures. The character models look great, and the facial expressions are amazing as well, but the blurry texture in the fact background kinda ruins those moments.

So much glitches and bugs.
And here comes the second reason why you might wanna hold off until its full release; the game can be a buggy mess. Aside from texture not loading, there were times when my party members were stuck on t-pose, cutscene not loading in properly, the sound and cutscene not in sync, characters' mouths not moving during dialog, crashes to desktop here and there, and the list goes on.

This Reddit thread is a compilation of the reports on all the bugs I've mentioned, and more. I can totally see why a lot of you will be hesitant before dropping $60. The early access only let's you play Act 1, but according to Larian it's suppose to take 25 hours on average. You can create a new character with new class, and make different dialog choices. If you do 4 runs with 4 different builds, that's already around 100 hours of gameplay! Yes, you are repeating the same Act 1, and you might argue it's the same thing, but if you are paying $60 for a EA, would you rather play an unstable multiplayer with novelty only lasting for few hours, or a singleplayer with an impressive looking world and actually have an replay value?

Overall....
I'd say we're in pretty good hands. The game has so much potential, and I am dying to know what happens in the later acts. Fixing all of the technical problems will definitely improve the early access problems. I just hope the devs don't pull Ark: Survival Evolved here, where they leave the game in EA and not doing the official release, while releasing paid dlcs.

TL;DR
If you are fan of turn-based RPGs, DnD, or really liked Divinity games, then early access is worth $60. Otherwise, wait until the full release

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Does it follow the old storylines? Like, one ending was pretty... mutually exclusive from continuing a story

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I've never played a Baldur's Gate game, but I'm hungry for an old school western fantasy RPG I can feel like I'm making actual progress in.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Does it follow the old storylines? Like, one ending was pretty... mutually exclusive from continuing a story

That's basically my reaction from the announcement of it originally.

Nothing I've heard from the EA from a handful of lets players really seems to counteract the idea of the title just being obvious nostalgia cash grabbery either (which isn't new to this "Franchise" as it were, there were like, a half dozen odd "Baldurs Gate" spinoff games with nothing apparently to do with the main 2 1/2).

Which in turn lends itself to some skepticism. Is this a project thats going to have solid creative passion behind it when all comes to pass, or did whoever holds the BG name rights (EA? WotC?) just throw a wad of cash at a reputable indie-RPG company to try and nostalgia bait a quick buck.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I've never played a Baldur's Gate game, but I'm hungry for an old school western fantasy RPG I can feel like I'm making actual progress in.
Yeah... That's not Baulders Gate. You generally doing unrelated quests to build up gold to do the real quest. It doesn't feel like progress, more like gstekeeping

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That's basically my reaction from the announcement of it originally.

Nothing I've heard from the EA from a handful of lets players really seems to counteract the idea of the title just being obvious nostalgia cash grabbery either (which isn't new to this "Franchise" as it were, there were like, a half dozen odd "Baldurs Gate" spinoff games with nothing apparently to do with the main 2 1/2).

Which in turn lends itself to some skepticism. Is this a project thats going to have solid creative passion behind it when all comes to pass, or did whoever holds the BG name rights (EA? WotC?) just throw a wad of cash at a reputable indie-RPG company to try and nostalgia bait a quick buck.
Does WotC hold the video game DnD licence? MtG hasn't been going well with it's focused on spiffy cards and pretty much strangling the Vorthos community.

That being said, BG1 was incredibly bare bone. Pretending it was good is a stretch. Having that nostalgia for an average game is a ’you problem’

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I watched a let's play of this by many a true nerd, and he commented on the actual roleplaying game elements, and enjoyed them. The dice showing he enjoyed, but he also commented that he liked how the game had a narrator, that was basically the GM telling you the results based on the roll, so it felt like you were actually at the table.

I just wish they would break the 4th wall some, and have an NPC use the wrong voice or something, and then go "shit...wait a second..." *ruffle of papers off camera* '...oh, right..." *remembers voice for that character and continues with the dialogue as if nothing happened, replicating a GM forgetting the voice for an NPC they hadn't used since the first session.*

I doubt they'll do that, but alas, I do wish.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
As far as I can tell, it's a completely different plotline, totally new characters, etc.

In other words, it's just piggy-backing off a well-loved brand to help flog their otherwise unconnected product. I'm inclined to give it a hard pass just for that.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
As far as I can tell, it's a completely different plotline, totally new characters, etc.

In other words, it's just piggy-backing off a well-loved brand to help flog their otherwise unconnected product. I'm inclined to give it a hard pass just for that.
I thought some old characters come back

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Oh wow, it's actually turn based? Lovely. That was my one hiccup with the original BG, and one of the main reasons I so love divinity. Super fond of turn based combat in all its forms, especially with stat-heavy stuff like rpgs.

Super excited for this game.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
This is early access priced at $60. Take that as you will

Welp, here we go! One of my most anticipated releases aside from cyberpunk for this year. Ever since it's announcement last year, I have been following all the news related to BG3. A sequel to an old series that I love, made by the same guys who made Divinity games? Yes please! Now that I got to try out a few hours with the game, I'd like to share with you my thoughts on the early access

Story & characters
You, the player character, is a survivor of a airship that was controlled by mind flayers, the Cthulu-looking race looking to abduct and turn you into one of their thralls. There's this parasite in your brain that is slowing turning you into a thrall. After the crash you wake up on a beach, looking for ways to remove the parasite.

I must say, the backstory alone has immersed me. Given this game is based on Dnd, I guess it doesn't surprise me. I always found backstories and the plot of dnd sessions to be well-written, and bg3 is no exception. They don't like to hide how the transformation is excruciating, and i think I felt that.

The characters you meet are your standard quirky party members, all with different personalities and motivations. These character archtypes are found everywhere in gaming nowdays, but because how well they are voice-acted, it makes them unique to characters from other games that are a lot like them

Gameplay
And this is the point where I feel it will divide a lot of you; The gameplay is quite similiar to that of DOS series, except this time with more Dnd element. The combat is turn-based, and the chance for your action to be successful depends on a dice system, and the environmental factors. The spells and skills will also reflect a lot from dnd 5e, but some spells are kinda weak compare to its source material. It might be slow, but I personally prefer this type of combat instead of real time, so I can tell what's actually going on. When you are outside of combat, you can choose to either take an instant short rest or a long rest at the camp. As the names suggest, short rest will recover partial hp and spell slots while long rest will recover everything and remove negative effects.

On dialog, you get to roll virtual d20 to see if you are successful. I am seeing a lot of complaints about how bad this is, and how it dice breaks immersion, but I'd argue it adds immersion. It makes you feel like you are playing an actual dnd session, and it is as if you are rolling your dice for your chance of success. Besides, the dialog minigame with certain chance of success has been around RPGs for god know how long, so I don't know why this has suddenly become a problem.

Graphics
I want to say this is one of the most beautiful-looking games of 2020, but there are texture bugs everywhere. Some environmental texture takes a few second before it loads, and you are stuck with looking at blurry and jaggy textures. The character models look great, and the facial expressions are amazing as well, but the blurry texture in the fact background kinda ruins those moments.

So much glitches and bugs.
And here comes the second reason why you might wanna hold off until its full release; the game can be a buggy mess. Aside from texture not loading, there were times when my party members were stuck on t-pose, cutscene not loading in properly, the sound and cutscene not in sync, characters' mouths not moving during dialog, crashes to desktop here and there, and the list goes on.

This Reddit thread is a compilation of the reports on all the bugs I've mentioned, and more. I can totally see why a lot of you will be hesitant before dropping $60. The early access only let's you play Act 1, but according to Larian it's suppose to take 25 hours on average. You can create a new character with new class, and make different dialog choices. If you do 4 runs with 4 different builds, that's already around 100 hours of gameplay! Yes, you are repeating the same Act 1, and you might argue it's the same thing, but if you are paying $60 for a EA, would you rather play an unstable multiplayer with novelty only lasting for few hours, or a singleplayer with an impressive looking world and actually have an replay value?

Overall....
I'd say we're in pretty good hands. The game has so much potential, and I am dying to know what happens in the later acts. Fixing all of the technical problems will definitely improve the early access problems. I just hope the devs don't pull Ark: Survival Evolved here, where they leave the game in EA and not doing the official release, while releasing paid dlcs.
How long is the current content? Is it just the little bit about getting off the ship? I've watched a let's play that basically ended right after you get off the ship. Now I don't know if that's because that's where the content ended, or if they were just under an embargo to only show a certain number of minutes of gameplay, or what.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Does WotC hold the video game DnD licence? MtG hasn't been going well with it's focused on spiffy cards and pretty much strangling the Vorthos community.

That being said, BG1 was incredibly bare bone. Pretending it was good is a stretch. Having that nostalgia for an average game is a ’you problem’

The intricacies of the D&D game license are beyond me, I fear. I'm not sure that the "Baldurs Gate" brand wouldn't also be its own thing (which would have gone through Interplay, then into infrogames/Atari, and possibly into EA? If I remember who all bought who in the process.

Baldur's Gate 1 was a resurgence of sorts after about half a decade where the D&D license had kind of languished since the Gold Box games, and RPG's in general were having a ton of struggles getting into the 3d era of the time (Whcih BG obviously just kind of LOLNoped on). Personally I'd go for Icewind Dale over BG1 though if we're doing a side by side on them

Baldur's Gate 2 is the more polished expansive variation (though already spends 90% of its runtime wholly disconnected from the series narrative, and obviously ends with the wet fart that was Throne of Bhaal to try and wrap up the main plotline, the first of Black Isle/Biowares myriad "Uh guys how does we write endings" pattern).

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
About what level do you start at? I don't want to spend the game casting magic missile twice then having to have a kip, I wanna get straight into Bigby fisting his crush.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
How do they pronounce the word "Orc"?

Otherwise this game looks very good, but the CRPG was never my thing. I couldn't get into any of them, Divinity, Pilliars, Torment, Tyranical, Disco, I keep trying because I want one to gel with me, but they never do.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
About what level do you start at? I don't want to spend the game casting magic missile twice then having to have a kip, I wanna get straight into Bigby fisting his crush.
given it's using the divinity original sin system, your combat abilities refresh in each battle.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I just hope the devs don't pull Ark: Survival Evolved here, where they leave the game in EA and not doing the official release, while releasing paid dlcs.
I would be shocked if they did, these guys have been around and know their stuff. Divinity original sin was EA also and they polished that up to a mirror shine. Larian studios has done right by players so far so I'm sure its in good hands.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'm waiting on a final release because I want to main the bard and that class, among others, is not in the early access.

The spells and skills will also reflect a lot from dnd 5e, but some spells are kinda weak compare to its source material.
Is faerie fire as broken as it is in 5e?

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
given it's using the divinity original sin system, your combat abilities refresh in each battle.
Is this true? The OP mentions sleeping to recover spell slots. Does the refresh not apply to magic or what?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Is this true? The OP mentions sleeping to recover spell slots. Does the refresh not apply to magic or what?
Not sure honestly, I haven't played it myself, just watched a let's play. Everything about it just screamed a DOS clone, so I assumed the combat mechanics would work the same way. But, the LP I watched didn't play as a magic user, so I was just speculating.