Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance re-release in 4K on modern consoles 5/7

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Starting tomorrow (5/7), anyone with a Switch, PS4/5, Xbox One, or Xbox Series X|S console will be able to buy a 4K re-release of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for $30. For those unaware, the original game was on the PS2 and Xbox, and is basically a Diablo-style RPG. Honestly, having played through the original game for the first time in years not that long ago, it holds up pretty well, so if you are into this style of game, it might be worth checking out.

I just hope that they do the same with the sequel.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Starting tomorrow (5/7), anyone with a Switch, PS4/5, Xbox One, or Xbox Series X|S console will be able to buy a 4K re-release of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for $30. For those unaware, the original game was on the PS2 and Xbox, and is basically a Diablo-style RPG. Honestly, having played through the original game for the first time in years not that long ago, it holds up pretty well, so if you are into this style of game, it might be worth checking out.

Man, I thought I saw a friend playing it once... and it looking like Heroes of Might and Magic

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I used to play this and the sequel a tonne when I was a kid, but I was convinced that I may well have been literally the only person to have ever played it, because up until now, I have never actually seen anyone talk about these games.

For a game from 2001, it is amazing how well this game holds up visually, especially for a console-only game. My mental comparison for a 2001 game is Halo CE, and the character models in this look outstanding in comparison.

Though, Im usually pretty strict when it comes to revisiting older games from my childhood, because I tend to get a little disappointed by how a lot of games fail to hold up to today's standards, and usually my rose-tinted nostalgia is more valuable to me, than reliving the actual experience - but as a Switch game, I can see myself giving these games another look.

Come to think of it, I don't think that I ever really played this game without cheats, so it'll be interesting to play these games properly, for once.

That said, £25 may be a little on the pricy side, so I might end up waiting for a sale, though I do hope that BGDA2 gets a port at some point, as I definitely spent more time with that one.

I also had no idea that there were EverQuest "sequels" based on the same engine, by the same developers, so it'd be nice to see how they are, should they eventually make their way over, too.

EDIT: Also, according to the IGN article, the game is also coming to PC and mobile "later this year"

Last edited:

bobdark

Legacy
Apr 7, 2008
My wife and I replay the games (1 and 2) every year, so we are looking forward to it. Hopefully the 2nd one comes out as well.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My brother and I played some of this game at a friends. It's been too long to remember a lot. It would be like new again.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Tis a travesty that a Diablo-esque game such as this never saw a PC release.