One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Review

It's deja-Boo all over again!

Read Full Article

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I picked this up myself desiring some nice Old School RPG Action and I must agree... 2nd Edition Rules are the worst thing about the game. At times you cannot strategize, cannot plan, cannot even manage resources and thus the entire outcome of a battle depends on a few randomly generated numbers, this never stops being frustrating. But at least the setting and general gameplay are still awesome.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
It seems like the biggest complaint I've been hearing about this game is that they changed the enemy spawning algorithms so less than half of the enemies that normally spawn in BG spawn in BGEE. No mention of that in the review? As far as I know Beamdog hasn't actually commented on it as of last night.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
No thanks.

I hated 2nd edition when I played it on a table.
I hated it when I played it on my computer.

I LOVED Baulder's Gate as a setting and its characters.
I hated its mechanics.

Especially when my entire party got wiped by bandits suddenly popping up and shooting me to death.
No chance just my level 1 party dying in a few rounds.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Quoting a facebook comment here. but Welcome Back BG.

looking forward to playing this again

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I approve of the Amaunator reference in the article. Though to be fair, "Dead as Amaunator" isn't quite dead, as BG2 showed us...

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
blackrave said:
Is it only BG1 or is it BG1 and 2 mashed together?
I think they added a lot of subclasses to the regular ones. You can, for example, be a regular fighter, or you can choose a more specialized fighter like a berserker (who gets angry a lot) or a kensai (who doesn't wear any armour, but has a very good chance to hit stuff). From what I've gathered, they were originally introduced in BG2, so that's new!

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I pulled Baldur's Gate from GoG.com earlier this year and gave it a good old replay. It's an awesome game, but brutal and something that takes time to learn. BG1 in my opinion is a harder game than BG2 is, largely because you start out at level 1, and so you can end up dying crazy-fast to even the most basic of enemies at the start. It gets easier as you level up, but not too easy. But hopefully a player would be able to play through BG1 and succeed at it, prepared to head right into BG2 with everything they have learned and an appetite to get into one of the best games of all time: Shadows of Amn.

Not sure if i'll get this since I technically already have BG1/BG2 (and in fact I still have my CD's for BG2 and its expansion), but this review tells me what I need to know: It's yums and I ought to haggle people to play this. XD

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
albino boo said:
There is only one thing I can say, Butt kicking for goodness!
Always remember to go for the eyes.

OT: Pretty much sums up my feeling for the original game as well. Great writing, great world, great characters. And all of it hamstrung because the D&D rules don't translate well to video games. I've always said the game would have been 10x better if they had developed new mechanics based on the D&D rules rather then transfer them wholesale (the Manual for BG2 actually doesn't have it's own appendix, you can tell it just transferred the actual D&D rules because there is a table in there about climbing checks -which the game does not include).

When I heard about the EE, I had hoped they were remaking the game with new systems. Sadly no.

Pontifex

Mar 17, 2010
What was the omitted line of dialogue, out of curiosity?

Also, there's a mod going on to port BG2 to Icewind Dale II's engine, which uses 3.0 rules.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Baldurs gate was really really hard-- theres a bandit camp a couple hours in that completely annhilated me way back in the day. I quaffed everything in my inventory and came up with a strategy to down their megabuffed magic wielding armoured tank, but if I recall correctly that was the end of my BG experience. The higher level BG2 was much more enjoyable from a gameplay perspective, but, i like nostalgia, and intend to buy the ipad version.