Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Takes a Little Longer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Takes a Little Longer

The Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition has been pushed back into November.

Back in July [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118738-Baldurs-Gate-Enhanced-Edition-Gathers-Party-Ventures-Forth], Overhaul Games said the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition would ship on September 18. That day is almost upon us, but as it turns out, a return to the Sword Coast is not.

"After recently reviewing the game and then consulting with our partners, we've decided to ensure that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is the best possible product on launch," Overhaul President Trent Oster announced. "Thus, we have pushed back the release date of the game."

In an unusual twist, it sounds like the delay was prompted at least in part by the overwhelming fan response to the game. "Thousands of you posted suggestions and requests on our forums. Dozens of volunteers from all over the world helped us improve gameplay, squash bugs and generally fine-tune the game. Even more came to help work on translations from English to more than 16 other languages," Oster explained. "Executing on our plan to make the best Baldur's Gate possible and responding to that overwhelming feedback, we've added new characters, areas, and story, creating many new hours of game play. Yet the suggestions, fixes, and translations continue, and more volunteers keep joining."

To make up for the delay, Oster promised "something a little extra" for everyone who preordered, but it's not like the wait will be intolerable: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is now scheduled to come out on November 30.

Source: BaldursGate.com [http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4796/ship-date-delay]

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
My coworker will not be happy, not at all.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Awww :( I was, literally, counting down the days. It's written on my calendar.

As long as it'll be better I can wait. I've got other games to finish in the mean time.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
This is GOOD news.

When a game is released too early it tends to suck.

I'm GLAD they're working on it more.
HOPEFULLY it means that the game will be even better.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Fair enough. Its not a terribly longer wait, and for the "little something extra" it might be worth it. Overhaul seems to really value the Baldurs Gate name, so I doubt they'd wanna rush out an unfinished product.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
This reminds me of what they did to Torchlight 2. It was due out a lot sooner than this Thursday, but after the beta they went back through and basically redid everything to make it better based on fan suggestions. We'll have to wait a bit longer to see if that was the right call, but it probably was and will serve as an example of why waiting is worth it.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
Quite frankly this makes me VERY sad! I understand the need for delays and hope the product will be that much better for it... but dammit there where only 4 days left!!! I was so looking forward to it.

mbourgon

Feb 11, 2010
I daresay Borderlands 2 is breathing a sigh of relief. Now if only xcom or dishonored (both due October 9th) would do the same.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
*Removes BG from his calender*

Well, I still have:

Sep 18th: Resident Evil 6 Demo
Sep 20th: Torchlight II
Sep 21st: Borderlands 2
Sep 27th: Half Minute Hero
Oct 2nd: Resident Evil 6
Oct 7th: Pokemon B/W2
Oct 31st: Assassin's Creed III
Nov 1st: Tales of Xillia 2

Until that day.

Apr 5, 2008
I'll be buying this whenever it's released and for whatever price tag they attach to it. I hope it's on Steam or GoG cos those are the only two DDPs I use. I'll probably be done with Disonored by then, though I'm not sure I'm quite ready for another BG playthru just yet, enhanced or otherwise. I still have the Tutu version installed that I went thru at the start of the year, so I'll prob buy it and leave it a while before I play it.

Apr 5, 2008
OuendanCyrus said:
Well, I still have:

Oct 2nd: Resident Evil 6

Until that day.
That's one I didn't expect so soon. Damn, don't think I'll have time to play it on release :-\ It's one game I might even dust off the old 360 for, if the PC version isn't out at the same time. Any hints on the who, where, when or what?

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
November 30th? Good, I might be done with Borderlands 2 by then... why did they have both games planned to release on the same day?! :p
I'll be happy if the "something extra" is a nice discount on the Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition, because if this goes well I'm definitely dropping money for that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
mbourgon said:
I daresay Borderlands 2 is breathing a sigh of relief. Now if only xcom or dishonored (both due October 9th) would do the same.
Borderlands 2 is facing off against Torchlight 2. We've set up an even more brutal brawl than before.

OT: Excellent news. I'm always suspicious when things come out on the original due date.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Even more came to help work on translations from English to more than 16 other languages
Phrases like that always make me smile. Can they only count up to 16 and any number higher than 16 is just "more than"?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Olrod said:
Andy Chalk said:
Even more came to help work on translations from English to more than 16 other languages
Phrases like that always make me smile. Can they only count up to 16 and any number higher than 16 is just "more than"?
"More than 16" is code for "17."

Take your time, Beamdog. Do it right.