Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Takes a Little Longer

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Delaying it is probably a good idea regardless of the state of the game, I think. This fall is going to be heavy on high profile releases, and if released right now it might not get the attention it deserves.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
I dunno, it could be code for three million other languages.

I guess we'll never know. (But I'm guessing they translated it into three million other languages.)

xedobubble

Apr 2, 2009
Acrisius said:
What about Baldur's Gate 2? Because this is just the first game, right? I need to know if I should get the second game on GOG or not, it's discounted right now, along many other fine D&D based games :)
My understanding is that BG2 won't be until next year sometime. And if this game just got delayed like 3 months, it probably won't be for more than a year. Get the sequel now, it's even better than the original.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Olrod said:
I dunno, it could be code for three million other languages.

I guess we'll never know. (But I'm guessing they translated it into three million other languages.)
What, did they get C3P0 volunteering for them?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
xedobubble said:
Acrisius said:
What about Baldur's Gate 2? Because this is just the first game, right? I need to know if I should get the second game on GOG or not, it's discounted right now, along many other fine D&D based games :)
My understanding is that BG2 won't be until next year sometime. And if this game just got delayed like 3 months, it probably won't be for more than a year. Get the sequel now, it's even better than the original.
I'm not sure that it follows that BGEE's delay would also delay BG2EE. The work that Beamdog is doing now will be directly applicable to the next game since both are using the exact same engine(the version of the Infinity Engine used in The Throne of Bhaal). So BG2EE would mostly be quest-related bug-fixes and additional content. All the changed release date means(other than you can't buy it yet) is that the work they are doing will be complete by release instead of accomplished as post-launch patches.

Nov 28, 2007
I'm all for it. It's not that big of a delay, and it will give them time to iron out the bugs. I fail to see the problem with a three month delay, other than from people who'd rather risk getting a buggy game now than a solid game a bit later.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
FYI..... GOG.com are doing a massive sale on D&D games at the moment, can get all the BGS, Icewind Dales, etc for dirt cheap this week. Just a thought for those who just simply cant wait.

Im glad they've pushed it back though, they know they're dealing with a classic and they're making the effort to do it right. Ive played through it before but I know Ill still be checking out the EE version for another playthrough!

Rabscuttle

Mar 30, 2011
So basically they wanted to venture forth, but it turned out that they hadn't finished gathering their party.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
I don't mind waiting longer, but mac users can't pre-order it anyway so this "something a little extra" does nothing for me.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
OuendanCyrus said:
*Removes BG from his calender*

Well, I still have:

Sep 18th: Resident Evil 6 Demo
Sep 20th: Torchlight II
Sep 21st: Borderlands 2
Sep 27th: Half Minute Hero
Oct 2nd: Resident Evil 6
Oct 7th: Pokemon B/W2
Oct 31st: Assassin's Creed III
Nov 1st: Tales of Xillia 2

Until that day.
This is the exact reason why postponing it was a bad idea. Instead of dealing with one good AAA game, they are going to be dealing with all the holiday releases and get swept under the rug. I'm also scratching BG:EE off my purchase list because its doubtful i'll have much money by then.

Now I am not in favor of releasing a buggy game, but re-releasing a niche game in a holiday powerhouse time is just bad business.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I enjoyed that they might throw in something for whomever goes for the pre-order, what I didn't dig at all is the fact that only PC had pre-order, Androis, iOS and Mac don't have that option...

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Scars Unseen said:
So BG2EE would mostly be quest-related bug-fixes and additional content. All the changed release date means(other than you can't buy it yet) is that the work they are doing will be complete by release instead of accomplished as post-launch patches.
If you know the modding scene, both BG and BGII have a lot more than just "quest-related bug-fixes". It took years to fix most of the problems - hell, there are still bugs being found for the game even today. They range from graphical errors, inconsistent AI behaviour, wonky scripting animations, exploits and much more. There have even been articles where the Beamdog team have talked about completely recompiling the original game due to the number of redundant lines of code and AI bugs they found in the source.

OT, I don't mind if they take a little longer to bring out the game if it means a polished product (especially in an age where publishers are forcing developers to rush out product). It'll be out right in time for the holiday season - even better. I'm more interested to see what they do with BGII, considering how many mods exist for the game.

They could do practically anything with it - add in Gaider's Ascension mod (which is pretty much a requirement if you want a complete experience), and add in a new series of missions in both SoA and ToB, along with a couple new NPC squadmates. That would be incredible.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009

they already did completely rewrite the engine. Most of those things you are talking about have already been fixed, because -as I already said in the part of my post you chose not to quote- they are using the (now heavily modified and cleaned up) ToB version of the Infinity Engine for BGEE. That leaves, for the most part, quest related bugs and new content. The work that has Beamdog delaying the release is directly applicable to the BG2EE release and would have been done post-release had the delay not occurred.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Scars Unseen said:

they already did completely rewrite the engine. Most of those things you are talking about have already been fixed, because -as I already said in the part of my post you chose not to quote- they are using the (now heavily modified and cleaned up) ToB version of the Infinity Engine for BGEE. That leaves, for the most part, quest related bugs and new content. The work that has Beamdog delaying the release is directly applicable to the BG2EE release and would have been done post-release had the delay not occurred.
My post isn't discussing whether a delay would effect development of BGII, nor did it comment on what version of the engine they're using. I'm simply saying that you're trying to trivialize BGII's impending development as nothing more than a few bugs related to quests, when I can tell you (from my experience) that's not the case. Regardless of what version of the engine they're using, there are still a myriad number of issues independent of the engine that would need remedying. There is a difference between applying an engine to an older game and completely recompiling that code to remove lingering issues and/or discovering independent issues that were previously fixed by the fans. It still takes time to recompile code, regardless of how cleaned up the core engine is.

ToB, for instance, had loads of issues unrelated to the engine itself. The aforementioned Ascension mod, for instance, had various fixes applied to hitpoint discrepancies, inconsistent AI and one-off pathfinding issues and a bug that affected some of Imoen's random dialogue. That was a mod released years after the fact by the game's design director and clearly indicated as a third-party mod that wasn't supported by Bioware or Black Isle.

The BG2 Fixpack contains hundreds of modifications to underlying bugs present in the game code, or in some cases, caused by ToB's engine. Things like making class behaviours more unified, wonky animations that were caused by incomplete scripting, etc, etc.

You don't know for certain whether or not this would have a "trickle-down" effect on BGII's development and actual release. Seems the only thing you want to do is debate semantics.