Baldur's Gate Reloaded Goes For The Eyes

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Baldur's Gate Reloaded Goes For The Eyes

An ambitious new mod recreates the entirety of Baldur's Gate in the Neverwinter Nights 2 engine.

Baldur's Gate. Everytime you mention it, someone reinstalls it. Or is that Deus Ex? Regardless, prepare your party's marching order for a walk down memory lane yet again, this time in glorious 3D. If Beamdog's [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10076-Baldurs-Gate-Enhanced-Edition-Review]Enhanced Edition[/a] didn't seem nearly enhanced enough for you, there's now the fan-made [a href=http://neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/794//?]Baldur's Gate: Reloaded[/a]. Built entirely in the pliable Neverwinter Nights 2 engine, this mod doesn't just recreate the original 60 hour campaign, but the entire Sword Coast expansion pack as well.

To run Baldur's Gate Reloaded, you'll need a copy of Neverwinter Nights 2, along with the Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir expansions. The platinum pack [a href=http://www.gog.com/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_2_complete]over at GOG[/a] works nicely. While the mod doesn't require that you own a copy of the original Baldur's gate, you can play nice and [a href=http://www.gog.com/gamecard/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga ]pick up a copy[/a] from GOG as well. Once that's installed, you can download the mod from [a href=http://neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/794//?]the Neverwinter Nexus[/a].

While Baldur's Gate might not be the easiest game to get into (you can thank the archaic 2ed ADnD rules for that), it made waves that we still feel today. It established Bioware as an RPG titan and created a market for RPGs rich with dialog and characters. I've never been so happy about triggering my Nashkel Mines-induced PTSD.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Excuse me while I gather my party before venturing forth, now what was that download link again?

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Well if that is not a reason to reinstall NWN2, I don't know what is. I may need to re buy Storm of Zehir though, oh well.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I've always been hesitant to get NWN2, as the things I've read and heard about it were patchy at best.
This is really cool though and I think I may give it a shot.

Casadechrisso

Jun 6, 2013
NWN2 was disastrous in the beginning, but with constant patches became much more enjoyable later. The original campaign isn't great either, but the first expansion is. The game is still a diamond in the rough, but projects like this show it's potential.

Anyway, you can get the whole thing on GoG.com, I don't think the expansions are sold individually anymore.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG !!!

And to clarify my position

OMG

Freakin' awesome. Still got my 6 disk copy of BG1&TSOC at home, sitting next to Icewind Dale ... Shadows of Amn ... NWN1 ... NWN2 ... Champions of Krynn .... Gateway to the Savage Frontier ..... Eye of the Beholder ....... Pools of Radiance ......

(am I showing my age yet?)

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I have tried on 6 different occasions to lay out a playthru of BG all to dismal failure.

I have NO tolerance or patience for isometric click click click click click click gaming. I can handle them on a technical level but they drive me to distraction and boredom as I do not look at Isometric RPGs through the nostalgia goggles many do.

So I confess I do find this intriguing not only for more 3d representation but I already have the GOG versions of NWN2 and BG and this "MIGHT" be what allows me to settle down enough to actually get into the enjoyable parts of what is arguably one of the best RPG series.

LOL, poor Witcher 2... Something else has now popped up to push it right back to the backlog pile again. Someday perhaps.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
IanDavis said:
Baldur's Gate. Everytime you mention it, someone reinstalls it. Or is that Deus Ex?
Hm. What if someone recreated Deus Ex using Baldur's Gate's engine? Or vice versa?

This must happen. I want to see a Boo gun that does extra damage when you aim for the eyes.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
piinyouri said:
I've always been hesitant to get NWN2, as the things I've read and heard about it were patchy at best.
I aint fond of nwn2 ,but think of it this way: you wouldn't be getting it for the game itself but for the many, many, MANY fan made modules and campaigns ;)

Even i do prefer neverwinter 1's selection..But thats just nostalgia making me biased in that regard.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Shamanic Rhythm said:
IanDavis said:
I've never been so happy about triggering my Nashkel Mines-induced PTSD.
I go into convulsions if anyone mentions the mage outside the Friendly Arm Inn.
he is all well and good, it is NIMBUL that wrecked me at an early stage!

Why haven't WotC/Bioware worked on something like this themselves already?!

Minsc looks a bit... small though doesn't he?

Apr 5, 2008
Oh my oh my oh my. Now this is worth a look indeed. Now we just have to wait for BGII Redux (remade in the Dragon Age Origins engine) and I will be happy indeed. Don't understand why it's not remade by BW themselves, with much of the original assets; it would sell incredibly well. Kind of in the same way there's a new Superman movie now for a new generation. Some stories are worth retelling, and the saga of the Child of Bhaal is one of them.

Jack Nief

Nov 18, 2011
This is just as good as the Diablo Lord of Terror module for NWN1. I just wish I wasn't upgrading my rig so soon so that I might actually have a chance to play the damn thing.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
There was supposed to be a mod putting all of Baldur's Gate II into the Dragon Age engine which I was quite excited about. Haven't heard any news of it for a long old time now, though. Still, this seems pretty cool. Never actually played NWN2, so this might be the excuse I need to pick it up.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Barda236 said:
I just finished the original NVN, any suggestions on what to buy for 2?
I would definitely suggest Mask of the Betrayer for sure. The story gets a bit deep into the DnD lore, but an overall fun trek. Storm of Zehir's quests are simple and tends to become kin of boring over time. That said, the campaign does allow you to import multiple main characters.