Bandai Namco Commemorates Akira Anniversary With Rad Jacket

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Bandai Namco Commemorates Akira Anniversary With Rad Jacket

Remember that awesome red jacket Kaneda wore in Akira? If you've got the cash, you too can own one.

In 1982 Katsuhiro Otomo unveiled Akira, a manga that would go on to spawn a beloved anime film and influence far more aspects of pop culture than I have room to discuss. It was a big deal, is what I'm saying here.

The story's protagonist, Kaneda, is a teenager who is notable for three reasons: First, he has a wicked sweet motorcycle. Second, he leads a gang of similarly equipped teens in dystopian Tokyo. Third, his signature jacket is the coolest piece of aged leather this side of Keith Richards.

Also, there's something about saving the world from a living nuclear allegory, but the details are kinda fuzzy.

In celebration of the manga's 30th anniversary, Bandai Namco has recreated the iconic jacket in all its crimson glory, and is now offering the duds for sale.

Unfortunately, there are two caveats to this story. Not only is the jacket only available to those willing to navigate a circuitous Japanese website [http://lalabitmarket.channel.or.jp/feature/akira-kaneda-jacket/], it's also priced at ¥69,800. That's $910 US dollars.

Now, before your dreams deflate entirely, let me point out that the jackets are available in a wide range of sizes. Everything from S to XXXL, so those of you undergoing shady government experimentation that has left your body a swollen, gelatinous mound of psychokinetically charged flesh can still likely find one in your size.

Plus, for added realism, in case that last scenario is a bizarrely prescient description of your current situation, Bandai Namco has also crafted a replica of Tetsuo's black jacket [http://lalabitmarket.channel.or.jp/p/120196], though you'll likely have to provide your own cape.

Source: Topless Robot [http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/10/good_for_health_bad_for_your_wallet.php]

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I'd much rather have his badass bike, but that would probably be much much more expensive so I can make due with the jacket. To bad i'll probably never ever be able to afford it.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Awesome! But I too would prefer the bike. I once knew someone who had a replica of Keneda's jacket which he had custom made for him. Don't know how much it cost him, but he did have to get it shipped over the Atlantic to get it. It wasn't the best replica either...

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Okay, I'll buy the Kaneda one and someone get Tetsuo's and we can take turns shouting each other's names.

TETSUO!

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
ddq5 said:
Okay, I'll buy the Kaneda one and someone get Tetsuo's and we can take turns shouting each other's names.

TETSUO!
KaneDAAAA!!!!!
/rage face

I'd love to own this jacket, but there are other things from other anime I love so much more, that I'd rather own.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
lmao $910? for a jacket? that looks like the one from some overrated anime movie?

what are they on to think that's a good idea?
pretty sure its illegal...

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Nope, I liked Akira, but there's no way a leather jacket at almost one THOUSAND bucks is a thing I'd considder buying. Altough red is a nice colour :p

the spud

May 2, 2011
I just saw Akira for the first time not long ago and I can say that it holds up.

It wasn't nearly good enough for me to spend a thousand dollars on a jacket, though.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
Nope, I liked Akira, but there's no way a leather jacket at almost one THOUSAND bucks is a thing I'd considder buying. Altough red is a nice colour :p
Well to be honest GOOD leather jackets are not cheap, I know I got 2. Specially if they are designer or brand jackets.

Edit: Hoo I got a good one!!!
I wonder if the movie that Hollywood is making of Akira is going to buy one of these jackets, if not they are loserrsss... Proply wont, since Hollywood can't promote drug use! My Atheismo, think of the children!

I'd get one, if I had the money. But... I think it is not a smart move since I take quite variety of pain medication and sedative medication. It would look bad to have a jacket that promotes it, in a sense :)

Thinking of which I need to watch Akira again (Not just only because of the cool soundtrack) and find the Manga books from my local library again.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
$900? It better come with a freaking motorcycle for that price.

Jebusetti

Jan 12, 2010
There is a manufacturer in canada called AbbyShot clothiers that makes the red pill jacket for much much less than that. They also make some other geek wear as well

EDIT: http://www.abbyshot.com/ is the site I was thinking of.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
So Does Rosie O'Donnel have one? Or can she not afford it?

He did have a badass jacket but that one in the pic doesn't quite look right. Looks like it's made out of vinyl.
For that kind of money you can have something custom made that looks better.

Besides, I think I'd rather have the kooky blazer Spike wore in Cowboy Bebop. That thing seems pretty versatile.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
rather like to know where i can get the bike. XD

Sweet duds tho, considering its one of the more iconic wardrobes to anyone with is into Anime.

but god damn $900+?!