Bandai-Namco Will be The First Third-Party Dev to Support Amiibos

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Bandai-Namco Will be The First Third-Party Dev to Support Amiibos

One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X for the Nintendo 3DS will be the first non-Nintendo game to support amiibos.

Nintendo's E3 this year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/amiibo] to coincide with the release of Smash Bros. on the Wii U, have so far only have functionality with first-party Nintendo titles. But now, Bandai-Namco has announced that it will be the first third-party developer to support the NFC toys, with its upcoming One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X for the 3DS.

The latest issue of Shonen Jump shows that the One Piece-themed fighter will use the amiibos in a similar fashion to Mario Kart 8 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138441-Mario-Kart-8-First-DLC-Pack-Arrives-Nov-13-with-Link], in that they will unlock special Nintendo-themed costumes for the characters. You can check out some examples of these in the image above.

One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X was released in Japan on November 13, with the amiibo functionality being patched in only recently. As the regular 3DS doesn't have built in NFC functionality, you'll have to either pick up a New Nintendo 3DS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138353-New-Nintendo-3DS-Pax-Aus-2014-Hands-On] or wait for the stand-alone NFC reader accessory being released next year.

As for the game itself, like with many anime games, there are currently no plans to bring it to the US. However, this does set a precedent for other third-parties to use the amiibos, which if analysts are to belive, is set to become quite the lucrative money maker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138944-Analyst-Claims-Nintendo-Will-Make-1-Billion-From-Amiibo-Sales] for Nintendo.

Source: Nintendo Everything [http://nintendoeverything.com/one-piece-super-grand-battle-x-getting-amiibo-support-for-costume-unlocks/]

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
Awesome, Nintendo should try and get Amiibos support spread out to many other titles.

I like the idea that when I buy my first Amiibo, that it'll be used for more than just smash bros.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Well that would be news if Bandai namco didnt hate the living hell out of the western market and tried its best to keep everyone non japanese out of most of their games and only peddle shovelware to the west when theres minimal to no effort on their part involved.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Karadalis said:
Well that would be news if Bandai namco didnt hate the living hell out of the western market and tried its best to keep everyone non japanese out of most of their games and only peddle shovelware to the west when theres minimal to no effort on their part involved.
Yeah.. gotta hate all those terrible shovelware games like Dark souls 2, tales of xillia, tales of xillia 2, tales of graces f, tales of symphonia chronicles, tales of hearts r, tales of vesperia, soul calibur 2 HD, ranko tsukigime's longest day, armored core V, ni no kuni, project x zone, most of the DBZ games, most of the naruto games, tales of the abyss etc

Bandai Namco have been one of my favourite companies over the last few years... but I guess I'm just weird.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Are they going to be making amiibos featuring these characters at all, or are we just going to see this new trend of third party characters cosplaying Nintendo characters?

I'm not sure which way I'd prefer them to go with this, I'm just musing, but based on those images, it looks like at least Nintendo cosplay.

JackgarPrime

Jul 17, 2012
Whatislove said:
Karadalis said:
Yeah.. gotta hate all those terrible shovelware games like Dark souls 2, tales of xillia, tales of xillia 2, tales of graces f, tales of symphonia chronicles, tales of hearts r, tales of vesperia, soul calibur 2 HD, ranko tsukigime's longest day, armored core V, ni no kuni, project x zone, most of the DBZ games, most of the naruto games, tales of the abyss etc

Bandai Namco have been one of my favourite companies over the last few years... but I guess I'm just weird.
I think he's just upset that we barely ever get any Gundam games, which I totally sympathize with.

Just bring Gundam Extreme Vs out here! And whatever the PS4 Gundam game is supposed to be!

Chris Ingersoll

Jun 21, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
But now, Bandai-Namco has announced that it will be the first third-party developer to support the NFC toys, with its upcoming One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X for the 3DS.
So Omega Force's/Koei Tecmo's Hyrule Warriors doesn't count then?

Granted the game doesn't do much with them other than the first time you use a Link figure.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Yew, it feels weird seeing Zoro with a shield, but if there is ever a One Piece amiibo, I'm all over it like a clever analogy.

Also: Sanji only. No devil fruit powers. Raftel Island.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok seeing Luffy as Mario, Zoro as Link and Sanji as Fox make my day!!!

I wonder what the rest of the crew would dressed up as? Nami as Princess Peach, Robin as Samus, Chopper as Yoshi and Franky and Brook as???

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
marioandsonic said:
That's pretty cool to hear.

Please let there be a Pac-Man amiibo...
Well a Mega Man one is in the 3rd wave and I would imagine they would be doing one for each Smash Bros character, so I can't imagine they wouldn't do Pac-Man

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Ok seeing Luffy as Mario, Zoro as Link and Sanji as Fox make my day!!!

I wonder what the rest of the crew would dressed up as? Nami as Princess Peach, Robin as Samus, Chopper as Yoshi and Franky and Brook as???
Something's telling me Robin will be Zelda, just to keep up with the princess thing. I can see Franky as Bowser, if only due to the large size of both characters, and Brook could be Male Wii Fit Trainer. I mean come on, Brook is obviously in the best physical condition! XP

OT: Sweet! I love One Piece and One Piece games, I can't wait too...

Steven Bogos said:
As for the game itself, like with many anime games, there are currently no plans to bring it to the US.
And once again Bandi-Namco screws me over, as well as Nintendo further cementing my hatred of region locking, especially on a handheld system. >.>
Welp, here's a game we're probably never gonna get here. There is hope for PAL gamers at least, as Bandi-Namco seem to like giving them anime games from time to time. Seriously, fuck region locking in it's entirety, it's asinine in this day and age and only hurts gamers more than benefits then.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
JackgarPrime said:
Whatislove said:
Karadalis said:

I think he's just upset that we barely ever get any Gundam games, which I totally sympathize with.

Just bring Gundam Extreme Vs out here! And whatever the PS4 Gundam game is supposed to be!
I can also sympathize, I just don't think that they think there is a market for it over here, Gundam is huge in Japan, but it's almost non-existent over here (in Australia, might be different in the US).