Banned for a banner

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
Some of you may be aware that at the football game on Saturday, some fans of Celtic FC called the Green brigade displayed this banner:

As you can see, it's a protest against putting the poppy on the Celtic shirt for remembrance day. Celtic has deep Irish roots and it's support tend to lean to republicanism. Obviously these fans do not want to honour those who fought in Ireland during the troubles, it could also be against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It seemed as if there was just going to be the usual situation when something like this happens, a few protests, people saying it's terrible and after a week or so people move on.

Today the Celtic board issued a statement apologising for the banner and saying that those responsible would be banned for Celtic park for life. Whether they would ban those who did the banner or the entire Green brigade.

A side note: The Green brigade is one of if not the biggest supporters group who attend the home and away games. I have been a season ticket holder at Celtic, the GB are always the loudest and most passionate fans. There have been times where they were the only ones singing.

What are your opinions on this fellow escapists?

Is it fair to ban potentially hundreds of people over a banner?

Could this be a breach of freedom of speech or the right to a peaceful protest?

Is it bad for a football board to go against one of their biggest group of supporters to keep appearances?

Discuss

EDIT: Yes, I know the banner is misspelled, but pointing it out is neither intelligent nor funny please try and actually contribute to the discussion.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
What does that banner have anything to do with a football match? What does the players on the other team have anything to do with war?

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
They spelled "bloodstained" wrong. That was my only thought the entire time I was reading the opening post.

Aiden_the-Joker1

Apr 21, 2010
I believe If a bad enough banner was used then banning potentially hundreds of fans would be justifiable however in this case I do not believe they should be banned just because they feel anti-war, they have their own opinion and do not deserve to get banned because of it.But come on guys "Your deeds would shame all the devils in hell" They are paying homage to dead war heroes that is not a reason to b angry at them, Anti-War people wear poppies all the same.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
It's a bit of an overreaction yes. I would say give those who caused the ruckus a warning to not do so again or actions will be taken, provided it a first offense of course.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Cain_Zeros said:
They spelled "bloodstained" wrong. That was my only thought the entire time I was reading the opening post.
Dude, as much as that's true, and stupid, you wanna try actually adding to the discussion or what?

As for my personal opinion, I think they should be warned that if they do it again they'll be banned, or anything of this nature again rather. It's not really about the message it's just political flaming and has absolutely sodall to do with football.

Basically: keep politics outta mah football!

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
Cain_Zeros said:
Thanks for pointing out a spelling error, I would appreciate if you'd contribute to the actual topic of discussion though.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
It think its disgusting they would display such a thing.

British troops are in Afghanistan after being INVITED to assist by the government.
British troop are/were in N. Ireland because the Northern Irish VOTED to remain part of the UK.

The only possible creedence they have is the war on Iraq where the general popular as well as member of parliament AND the Queen, were all lied to, through genuine mistake or not after being lead to believe we were in genuine danger from this country. No matter, leaving after decapitating they leadership would have been the worst possible move ever regardless of the reasons for removing that leadership, and would have plunged the country into anarchy as 2 or more factions fought for leadership. The only responsible thing to do was set-up a leadership, and we now remain at the behest of that leadership to help train and where necessary police.

There is no reason AT ALL to take it out on the men an women who placed themselves in harms way to defend us from what we all believe was a very real threat. No matter what you believe SHOULD now be done they people deserve nothing but our respect and gratitude!

I wear my poppy proudly!

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
It's not a breach on the freedom of Speech the stadium is a privately owned place they can still wave the banner again if they like but are no longer permitted to return to that location.(Or some of them at least).

Roos1993

Oct 20, 2009
What on earth does it have to with the match?
If it is to do with Celtic's Irish roots what's the point?
Most of the fans at the game arn't even Irish.
On the other hand if it is to do with the war in Afghanistan really it just seems disrespectful to the soldiers.
Poor show Celtic. :\

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
lewism247 said:
Cain_Zeros said:
Thanks for pointing out a spelling error, I would appreciate if you'd contribute to the actual topic of discussion though.
Fine, if people are going to get snippy about it, there are some cases where banning possibly hundreds of fans for a banner is justified, but this isn't one of them.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Cain_Zeros said:
Same here, that's all I saw too. Fail banner is fail.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Lulz l2speel.

I joke Lewis, I joke:p

They shouldn't have brought a banner to the game in the first place but I don't think they should be getting banned, a warning should suffice.

rockera

Jul 29, 2009
maybe it's just me but I can't read some of the words. :/
but getting banned from a football stadium is not that bad, people have been killed for less.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Fuck em. I dont care if they're avid supporters of the club, they should keep their hatred out of the ground
Scde2 said:
What does that banner have anything to do with a football match? What does the players on the other team have anything to do with war?
Well if you read the Op it's clear as day.

They are opposed to the players of their team wearing the Remembrance Poppy, because Celtic(or some of it's fans at least) have ties with Irish Republicanism, so they dont want their team to honour British soldiers.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
This is a Scottish team not an Irish team. As a Scottish guy who has been brought up in a military family I find it disgusting that they did this.

Ban em!