Banned from the UK

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
SirSisyphus said:
Pi_Fighter said:
In this case, they appear to be justified.

There is a very large likelihood of a crime being committed as a driect result of the words of these people.
And who determines this? Where is the proof? Speaking your mind can be judged acceptable based on the likelihood of a crime being committed as a result?
Ah good. It has been too long since I have found a decent devil's advocate.

Encouraging racism and religious extremeism has never lead to anything good.
The KKK committed* numerous crimes, as have religious extremists. Thus encouraging these types of behavior would result in crimes. Speaking your mind is all well and good, as long as you don't encourage hate and attempt to bring harm to other people.

*I use the past tense, because as far as I know, the KKK no longer exists as an organisation.

Stikibunn

Apr 27, 2009
I'm glad that nobody wants to come to Australia at all. They know they'd get killed by the wildlife.
We wrote a song about it!

Redback, Funnelweb, Blue-Ringed Octopus.
Taipan Tiger Snake and a Box Jellyfish!
Stonefish!
And a poisonus-thing-that-lives-in-a-shell-that-bites-you-when-you-pick-it-up.

We don't need to ban nobody just threatern to let them see our wildlife up close.

Apr 21, 2009
bjj hero said:
Give this a read:

Uks least wanted list [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8033060.stm]

For those who can't be arsed the British government has released a list of people it will not allow into the country for spreading hate. I have the list here [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8033319.stm]. It includes a right wing US radio show host, skin head gangs, muslim preachers and members of the christian right.

My first question is:
Ignoring the comment that entering the UK is a privilage, should a governement be allowed to ban people who haven't committed a crime, just because they have unpopular views?

The second question is who would you ban from your country and why?
Why isnt gordon brown on this list, he is the last person people want to see right now, with so many losing they jobs and houses.

Ban him from all pubs to seeing as we pay 33% tax on our pint

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Evilmonkeysniper0182 said:
Ban him from all pubs to seeing as we pay 33% tax on our pint
Its amazing that the members bar at parliament is subsidised by the tax payer.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
How about Daily Mail readers?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzV-bHM31SY&feature=PlayList&p=8960D54945BAFA63&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=5

Perticular Elk

Jul 9, 2008
This is ridiculous. The First Amendment was radified to protect unpopular, controversial, and even hate speech. I would find it insulting to think that UK subjects are so immature and easily manipulated that they would go commit crimes because of harsh speech. I believe that the UK is populated by adults who can think reasonably and objectively. Have you even heard Michael Savage speak? If not, how could you judge? This is comming from a County that arrests children for hate speech.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,25361297-7583,00.html?from=public_rss

If any of this article is true, it means that the UK is the closest thing to a totalitarian Gov't the West is experiencing now.

(And Michael Savage does not think that Autism is fictional. He thinks that Doctors are now more than ever recklessly diagnosing Austism, I can't remember everything in the conversation but it may have something to do with increasing drug sales-- but if you listened to him you would know)

OddOzZy666

Jul 3, 2008
I'm agreeing with George144 here, boot out chavs, i've been mugged and my brother's car has broken into twice, i know this is chav work because Kingswood is the chav land of Bristol, my plan would be find a desert island, throw the chavs on there and quarantine the area, make sure they can't get of the island...sounds awfully like Battle royale tbh

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Ozzy684 said:
I'm agreeing with George144 here, boot out chavs, i've been mugged and my brother's car has broken into twice, i know this is chav work because Kingswood is the chav land of Bristol, my plan would be find a desert island, throw the chavs on there and quarantine the area, make sure they can't get of the island...sounds awfully like Battle royale tbh
Didn't this course of action result in Australia last time we tried it?

SirSisyphus

Feb 22, 2009
Sparrow Tag said:
SirSisyphus said:
Pi_Fighter said:
In this case, they appear to be justified.

There is a very large likelihood of a crime being committed as a driect result of the words of these people.
And who determines this? Where is the proof? Speaking your mind can be judged acceptable based on the likelihood of a crime being committed as a result?

spuddyt said:
So long as the process of bannin has decent oversight, its ok by me
What consititues decent oversight? I believe the Soviets had "decent" oversight with the NKVD at one time.
Your very outspoken about this aren't you? Can I ask you a question?

Do you feel the same way about the people banned from entering your country?
Like who? Michael Moore? Noam Chomsky? A guy named Bill Ayers bombed the pentagon in the sixties and now his an intellectual colleuge of our president. As far as I know, they live very comfortable (and highly respected) lives here in the U.S. They've done and said far worse to the U.S than Michael Savage has done to the U.K.

And those who are banned because they're wrongly accused of being a threat a la Cat Stevens...well, there's that "decent oversight" problem.

I am outspoken about this because people who have opposing views to the government are being painted as "dangereous" and the public is eager to buy into it because they've been convinced that ideas they disagree with are a threat. People don't realize that this is just a first step. The govn't won't back off after just a few "dangerous" people have been banned from their country. It will branch out eventually. I'm an American and I love the U.K and her people. I hate to see them go down this road.

Thanatos34

Mar 31, 2009
I have to say, this is rather interesting considering I just watched V for Vendetta.

This crosses the line, in my opinion, but I am not versed in the UK's constitution, so I do not know if they can fight this or not.

Interesting. I also recently watched Minority Report.

Mind policing is never a good thing to allow a government to being doing. No matter how good your motives are going in, they will always get corrupted. It's just too easy to be seduced by power in this instance.

Thanatos34

Mar 31, 2009
Bibliomancer said:
I'd ban Fred Phelps from Earth if I could. That man, if he can be called one, is a horrible little creature. Michael Savage being banned is a little strange. He's clearly a homophobic, racist nutjob, but he hasn't been associated with the spreading of violence, as far as I know.
Geez. Throw more labels around, please. Why don't you try actually researching your opinion first, eh? Savage is not racist by any means of the word, nor is he homophobic. He merely attempts to prove his points by creating shock, in other words, "Did he really just say that?" which leads to much of the liberal media taking his words out of context, for the context is really the tone in which he says them.

kiwisushi

Sep 29, 2008
The UK is getting close to a totalitarian system as everyone is so afraid of everything and the media does NOT help in this scaremongering. As a nation-state the UK is weird anyway. There are members of parliament who are Welsh and Scottish, yet these countries (well one is a principality but don't tell them!) have their own parliaments. With a crumbling economy, facism and hatecrime is likely to increase as people get frustrated with the situation, leading to further sanctions placed, kind of like what happened in the 70s where the BNP started to gain some power.
Finally will someone tell me one place in the entire world that ACTUALLY believes and practices freedom of speech? Even though it is part of American constitution, (don't know what bit mind, never studied America to that degree) I am pretty sure that they use censorship an awful lot, like most places. The entire idea of freedom of speech is skewed, as you are allowed to say what you like as long as it isn't controversial or seen to be not politically correct.

seule

Jul 21, 2008
Heh, it isn't just the UK that does this, the US does it too.

I'm Australian, married to an American citizen, but we live in Australia. When we tried to go back to the US for my brother-in-laws wedding last year, I was denied a visa on the grounds that I was apparently on an FBI watch-list.

No explanation, no idea what I'd done, was given the run around by the US officials here in Australia, and when my wife called the US embassy to try and get help, she was told "This is what you get for marrying a non-american."

After a hell of a lot of running around, we were told that it may not even be my name on the list, it could be someone else who's name is similar to mine, apparently they have the right to deny you a visa based on that.

So feel free to throw stones at the UK for doing this, but be aware that the US is just one great big glass house.

Dealin Burgers

Feb 21, 2008
Fulax said:
Yeah, fuck freedom of speech. Let's just ban everyone we don't agree with.
There are alot of people who have nothing worthwhile to say, should we let them abuse a privellage such as freedom of speech?

Bibliomancer

Apr 17, 2009
Thanatos34 said:
Bibliomancer said:
I'd ban Fred Phelps from Earth if I could. That man, if he can be called one, is a horrible little creature. Michael Savage being banned is a little strange. He's clearly a homophobic, racist nutjob, but he hasn't been associated with the spreading of violence, as far as I know.
Geez. Throw more labels around, please. Why don't you try actually researching your opinion first, eh? Savage is not racist by any means of the word, nor is he homophobic. He merely attempts to prove his points by creating shock, in other words, "Did he really just say that?" which leads to much of the liberal media taking his words out of context, for the context is really the tone in which he says them.
Some Michael Savage quotes that are racist and/or homophobic:

"We need racist stereotypes right now of our enemy in order to encourage our warriors to kill the enemy," he explained (San Francisco Chronicle, 2/6/03).

"With the [Latino] population that has emerged, since they breed like rabbits, in many cases the whites will become a minority in their own nation... The white people don't breed as often for whatever reason. I guess many homosexuals are involved. That is also part of the grand plan, to push homosexuality to cut down on the white race" (San Francisco Bay Guardian, 9/20/00).

"Oh, so you're one of those sodomites. You should only get AIDS and die, you pig; how's that? Why don't you see if you can sue me, you pig? You got nothing better to do than to put me down, you piece of garbage? You got nothing to do today? Go eat a sausage, and choke on it. Get trichinosis. Now do we have another nice caller here who's busy because he didn't have a nice night in the bathhouse who's angry at me today? Put another, put another sodomite on....no more calls?...I don't care about these bums; they mean nothing to me. They're all sausages." -Radio Show Call (Which got him fired)

They?re not kids, they?re ghetto slime... they?re the same kids that are in Sierra Leone toting AK47s." -Comment on children killed in inner-cities

Yeah, I'm sure he's just being "taken out of context." The fact is that Michael Savage is a bigot, and no amount of justification by his defenders will change that.