Barbie Finds New Career in Information Technology

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Barbie Finds New Career in Information Technology

Barbie is no longer the less-than-intelligent blonde she once was, now earning her keep as a professional geek.

Barbie has had over 100 careers since 1959, taking on the work of firefighter to astronaut, and Mattel has just revealed her latest. Barbie's 126th career will be computer engineer, establishing her as an official nerd.

Computer engineer was chosen by the popular vote of over 500,000 people; the first time Barbie's career has ever been decided this way. Other choices included architect, environmentalist, news anchor, and surgeon, with news anchor set for Barbie's 125th career as it won the popular vote amongst girls (take that, guys). In the field of computer engineering, men often outnumber women, so the hope is that the doll will help to inspire young women to become code monkeys.

Computer Engineer Barbie is set to make her programming debut in Fall 2010. She'll be wearing a binary code t-shirt, carrying a smart phone, and talking to her corporate drone boss on a Bluetooth headet. Just because Barbie is a computer engineer doesn't mean she can't still accessorize, as her hot-pink glasses will match the hot pink laptop she stares at for 10 hours a day. Computer Engineer Barbie is supposedly available for pre-order at the Mattel shop [http://shop.mattel.com/home/index.jsp], but I couldn't find the link, so maybe a more enterprising Barbie fan can discover how to reserve one.

Escapist News Correspondent apparently has a shot at becoming Barbie's 127th career, which will come complete with padlocked cage and bathroom bucket. Seriously, someone help me.

(Via: NYT Blog [http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/barbies-next-career-computer-engineer/])

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Wow...
For once in my life, I feel less afraid to touch the cold, flesh-colored plastic of dolls meant for my sex...

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
She appears to have a laptop instead of a forearm. It's like the next generation of Pip-boys have arrived.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
But can the laptop handle Crysis?

Also, why is the laptop growing out of her forearm? And if she has a phone, why does she need a wrist watch?

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Escapist News Correspondent apparently has a shot at becoming Barbie's 127th career, which will come complete with padlocked cage and bathroom bucket. Seriously, someone help me.
I'ma coming Tom!

OT: WOOOO! Geekbie.... Bargeek? Beekbie? Who knows. I'm too old (and of the wrong sexuality) to play with barbies... In public anyway.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Computer engineer? She's probably just learning HTML so she can code her own myspace page.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I'm on an IT course at university, and there are quite a few women on it. About an even split, but similar courses are more male than female. It's something that is rally improving. At least at University level.

I really wanted to be one of those classic IT guys, but nowadays its all professionalism, and teamwork. No wonder we're not inventing Internet 2, or hover cars.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Premonition said:
And the 128th will be Brainiac Barbie.

Good for Barbie, I guess xD
Sounds like it will end up being expensive, dangerous, and likely to end in a lawsuit. Sign me up!

On topic, meh. It's interesting to see how it won a vote, but it's Barbie. I mean, come on.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Premonition said:
And the 128th will be Brainiac Barbie.

Good for Barbie, I guess xD
I can imagine that happening in the near future.

Off topic, thank you for bringing that logo up. I've been trying to remember the name of that series for AGES. XD

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
They're still making Barbies!? Christ I haven't heard a thing about them in years. That being said I tend to not watch TV other than on demand stuff due to despising adverts, especially the Sept-Dec run-up where every advert is aimed at kids.

Sep 13, 2009
Outlaw Torn said:
She appears to have a laptop instead of a forearm. It's like the next generation of Pip-boys have arrived.
it's obviously a prototype for the Omni-tool in ME2. The only logical conclusion that can be drawn now that that fact is in the light? Barbie is a collector.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Oh bah, it's just another bloody Barbie doll. I cannie see the appeal that those things have with girls and old men.

To each his/her/is/er own though.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Oh dear... what an incredibly odd choice... well, at least surgeon wasn't voted... they'd have to have an extra barbie with missing limbs and bloody guts :p