Barbie Finds New Career in Information Technology

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Mercanary57 said:
Either way, Barbie still looks slutty.
If you think that she looks slutty based on the pic in the OP, then you have a very jaded view of women who try to look pretty. :/

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I take great offense at the glasses "associating" her with a nerd.
Then again, she's like 65 so maybe she needs them :p

Woem

May 28, 2009
sheic99 said:
Did anyone else notice that she is programming in machine code? They could have at least put in some C at least.
It's in binary actually. Translated it says "Barbie" all over again on the screen and on her t-shirt. Mattel put some thought in this :)

01000010 = B
01100001 = a
01110010 = r
01100010 = b
01101001 = i
01100101 = e

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
So besides the pink glasses and laptop what is different about this one exactly?

I mean I can appreciate maybe using an icon like Barbie to try and subtly ease in the mindset that 'Being a nerd is OK' is a good idea, if you do it right...

But honestly, She's not very different looking to how she looks anyway...

You wouldn't even have to strip away the glasses and laptop to be able to re-market this as 'Casual Barbie'.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Notice how the only time Barbie wears glasses is when she is a computer engineer. Damn geek stereotypes. Also notice that her computer has a blue screen of death. You may not know this, but that's a bad thing barbie.

Actually it's just binary but nobody short of a masochist would program in binary especially not hot-pink loving Barbie.

Ah, we all know that its just the same sexist doll it always has been with some stereotyped nerd items, (that aren't even real nerd items), slapped on. Who wears a binary shirt anyways? She should wear a shirt that has some reference to Star Trek or Star Wars or battlestar Galatica something with the word Star in it. Her computer should be running Linix. She should have a digital watch (as Root pointed out). HER PANTS SHOULD NOT SPARKLE... EVER!! Her shoes are ugly... that's not a geek thing it's just true. She should also have some feature that sets her off from a crowd and says that she is a weirdo(admit it, all geeks have some weird thing that sets them off). Right now she just looks as if the guys in charge cobbled together there ignorant notions of what computers mean and designed a Barbie fashion style that incorporated it without considering the job at all. The design is as shallow as the doll. God, Barbie is such a negative reflection on the American psyche.

Juven Ignus

Sep 10, 2009
I wanted to see the accessories on surgeon Barbie. They'd be great fun for girls! One of them could even be a sedated hobo.

karmapolizei

Sep 26, 2008
Although it's stereotyped as hell, I still like the idea. C'mon, you can't realistically make a Barbie without a lot of pink and turquoise, it's just what it's about and honestly, it's what the target audience (your average little girl) wants. So I'd like to view this as the miniscule, but welcome step forward that it is.

Also, the glasses did make me think of the 1337 hacker slut from Transformers.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Pendragon9 said:
Premonition said:
And the 128th will be Brainiac Barbie.

Good for Barbie, I guess xD
I can imagine that happening in the near future.

Off topic, thank you for bringing that logo up. I've been trying to remember the name of that series for AGES. XD
Offtopic: No prob. ^^

OT: What we really need is a Barbie with a controller in her hands as Ken is in the kitchen with a bottle of vodka in his hands because he's being ignored.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Woem said:
sheic99 said:
Did anyone else notice that she is programming in machine code? They could have at least put in some C at least.
It's in binary actually. Translated it says "Barbie" all over again on the screen and on her t-shirt. Mattel put some thought in this :)

01000010 = B
01100001 = a
01110010 = r
01100010 = b
01101001 = i
01100101 = e
Now that is clever

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
Pielikey said:
And if she has a phone, why does she need a wrist watch?
i carry both with me, its called accessorizing!

but no....its cause my phone times wrong and my watch has the date...and its easier....not that this comment it important at all

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
When I was a child I had marine biologist barbie, came with swim suit, plastic whale and dissapearing leggins.

Barbie has already had some smart carriers in her past.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Pielikey said:
But can the laptop handle Crysis?

Also, why is the laptop growing out of her forearm? And if she has a phone, why does she need a wrist watch?
its not a wrist watch, its the locator to know where she is every time, they issue those to all the encoders to make sure they are in the same room as their laptops at all times

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Where is her pocket protector? Her soldering knife? A screwdriver even? Does Mattel even know what a Computer Engineer is?

She looks more like a Help Desk Tool.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Wow, and there I was thinking plastic dolls and blonde people couldn't become IT technicians. I'm glad I've seen the error of my ways.

Part of me wonders if this would sell as well as "Barbie is a defenceless Princess while Ken gets a Sword"-Barbie.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Maveleye said:
*shudders* Wow, I just a haunting vision of Legally Blonde hashed with Hackers... kinda creepy.
Oww my brains, the image is in my head now o_O