Barely known/obscure games you wish more people knew

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
Cave Story is by no means obscure, but I wished every gamer would play it. I mentally view it as "required reading". You can't be a true reader without Shakespeare and you can't be a true musician without Mozart.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Blade1130 said:
Another I guess would be Gotcha Force for the Nintendo Gamecube, literally, the ONLY Gamecube that didn't suck. It's basically about a kid who finds these toys that come to life and fight evil toys trying to take over the universe. Dumb yes, but some of the best and most memorable characters ever. None of them even say a word, the ninja, cowboy, and vampire bots are probably the coolest toys I have ever seen. If they pulled the whole Hasbro thing of making a cartoon to sell the toys, but instead of a cartoon it was this video game, I'd have the whole set.
Well fuck me sideways, someone actually ninja'd Gotcha Force from me, [small][sub]and then bashes the greatest console known to mankind. Not cool.[/sub][/small]

Also Spelunky is awesome.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter is a pretty good, if easy, action-RPG for the DS. If you can, get it with the soundtrack CD. You won't regret it, I promise.

Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure for the Wii is a really good puzzle-adventure game. Equally charming graphics and characters, and fantastic gameplay make this a keeper.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Mastemat said:
Ok... That's odd......
I would have expected at least SOMEONE to have mentioned the Shin Megami Tensei line?
I suppose they are becoming a little more well known. But I have yet to meet someone who I didn't have to introduce them to them.
Also, before anyone "corrects" me... Persona isn't a SMT game. They are Megami Ibunroku, a spin off of the Shin Megami Tensei line, which is a spin off of the Megami Tensei main.

I wish more people knew about Shin Megami Tensei... It probably doesn't help that there is no official english port of them.... probably due to you "killing God" and that wouldn't sit right.... or some such nonsense.
Really? My copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is sitting on my PS2 game shelf right now...It's the original release, too, with Dante from DMC, not the rerelease with Raidou Kazu Noha. I probably butchered his name.

On topic: Breakdown. This is an amazing first person game. It's got guns, but it's not an FPS. It also have you doing first person melee combat, complete with punches, kicks and combos, and gaining psychic powers, all while going through a very trippy experience. Seriously, there's nothing like it, and the story was so good, for a while there was a project to get a novelization of the game published.

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
Sanitarium - very neat point'n'click (though not in the same style as say Broken Sword, little different mechanics and even few action sequences) darkish adventure game.

Legend of Kyrandia 2: The Hand of Fate - my favourite point'n'click adventure game, though I might be a bit biased 'coz it's my first p'n'c game. It's very fun and doesn't take itslef seriously.

Odin Sphere - amazing 2D game with fun gameplay, great storyline and characters.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Resonance Of Fate - A JRRG with a great battle system and sense of humour. Said battle is hard to get to grips with, but once you do, it's as easy as riding a bike. The story and graphics aren't up to scratch, but that won't stop you from having fun building up Resonance Points and shooting the hell out of your enemies with a Tri-Attack. Released first on Xbox 360 and later ported to PS3.

Folklore - An Action/Adventure game with both great gameplay and story. Part murder mystery, part supernatural thriller; a murder in the village of Doolin brings two people together. These two are Keats, a jaded reporter for an occult magazine, and Ellen, a girl in seek of her past. The gameplay involves using Folks assigned to different buttons on the controller to attack and subdue hostile Folks and using the Sixaxis motion control to absorb their Ids. Both Ellen and Keats have their own disnictive playstyle and chapters. Additionally, for a launch title, it has some pretty sweet graphics.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
This site is a very good resourse for quality niche titles http://www.hardcoregaming101.net

I could list off a handfull of CAVE Co shmups like Deathsmiles which imo are on the same tier as Rayman Origins and Vannilaware for production values (with solid nob friendly gameplay to boot)

Anyway my picks are Warsong (Megadrive) and the whole of the Langrisser series http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/langrisser/langrisser.htm

EDIT I just watched the last ep of Extra Credits which features Warsong, :D cool enough folk should know about this game that I don't need to mention it in every other thread lol

The 2D PS1 JRPG Moon RPG Remix Adventure, if only for the fact that someone might fansub it to English so I can get to play it http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lovedelic/lovedelic.htm

Sin & Punishment 2 or anything else by Treasure for that matter

Night Shift an old 8/16 bit puzzle platformer by Lucas Arts, aparently the game was a flop and caused them to abandon any genres outside of point n' clicks

Oh and GunGirl 2 is well worth playing since its Freeware (its a similar genre to Cavestory)

Outside of that more ppl need to know what the classics are of each genre and actually play them, especially 2D oldschool classics like Megaman 2, Symphony of the Night etc

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
These are the main ones that come to mind that i've played.

And Yet It Moves
Cryoastasis
Darkwatch
Dear Esther
Experience 112
Gravity Bone (freeware)
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash 1 & 2
Killer 7
Nier
Receiver - Indie game that gives you huge control with the functions of a firearm.
Shattered Horizon
The Deep Cave - Xbox Live Indie platformer that's very challenging and enjoyable.
To The Moon
Victorious Boxers 2
XIII - I suppose it's obscure. Or perhaps it's just been forgotten over time.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Roselina said:
One of my favorite Tim Schafer games, Psychonauts. If more people bought it they might have made a second one, but not a third cause games in threes' tend to run out of ideas.
Listen to this person. Psychological level design, entertaining characters; I've only bought Psychonauts recently but it's one of the most creative titles I've played in years.
Wish I had supported it when it first came out.

DanteLives

Sep 1, 2011
Appropriate for this topic, ObsCure. I quite liked the game, it's plot and the crafting system, where you could put a flashlight on a pistol for example. The addition of the ability to play with a friend is also a good thing.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Primal - for PS2

Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5SMd3OzWUk

Its actually a really good action rpg, almost as good as Soul Reaver, but I don't think anyone other than me bought it. Great, or at least good, voice acting. Good soundtrack. Also you play as essentially 5 different characters with all the demon forms and they get different weapons/combos and playstyles.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
BOOM headshot65 said:
I bring you 3 games:
2: Infinite Space (Nintendo DS)
As it is on the DS, the graphics are anything to shake a stick at, but when have graphics mattered to the quality of the game. No, this game is awsome from the sheer amount of customization and battles that take place, the story is actually better than some AAA titles, and the boss fights (namely the last one) are REALLY, REALLY hard.
I read one article about this game and then looked everywhere for it but could not find it :(

My vote is for Harvest Moon, farmville can suck my balls

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Golden Sun I/II for the Gameboy Advance

Awesome RPG

Here's the TV ad for it:

AWESOMENESS, THY NAME IS GOLDEN SUN