Based On A True* Story

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I've always wondered why Steve Jobs is held on such a high pillar that reaches the height of a god. He was a business man (which I remember were not seen as gods, but, by some, daemons) who didn't wear a suit. For those who worship at glass house (literally) of Apple, shouldn't you be worshiping Steve Wozniak? You know, the man who created the Apple I, the computer that launched Apple Computers into business? Still no? Remember the Apple II, also known as the machine that brought Apple Computers to the top? Yep, that would be Steve Wozniak's work.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
zvate said:
Looks like they were trying to pull a citizen kane by taking a real person (hearst/jobs) and changing him as needed to make for a better movie (although obviously not nearly as successfully).

I wonder why the creative liberties and lies in Jobs (like not mentioning xerox) piss us off so much but in older movie classics we just don't care?
Very few people are aware of William Hearst anymore and Steve Jobs is still very present in the cultural mindset, particularly with techie types. As another example, Zachary Taylor and Warren Harding were largely viewed as a couple of the worst US presidents of all time and yet most people don't have any strong feelings about either of them today. Whatever Steve Jobs was, he's still definitely a name known by many Americans. Perhaps the most important lesson from this, however, is that in fifty years, Steve Jobs will likely be as unremembered as William Hearst is today.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Meh. I hate "based on a true story" movies anyway. I dislike how they take people who are interesting (sometimes) and reduce them to tired, marketable stereotypes in the cause of making it fit a formula so overplayed I don't even have to see the movie to know what will happen.

In short, gonna skip and do not feel I'm missing anything.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Living_Brain said:
Does Bill Gates have a touching story to be made into a movie when he dies?
He's got a touching story now. Look up the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Does the Jobs movie include the part where when he became CEO and ended all philanthropy, and the part where denied paternity of his first child claiming he was sterile, or oh, do they include anything about Foxconn?

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
As a child of DOS, I carry a natural immunity to Apple-itis, and so I can like my IPOD for what it is. (SET "IPOD" != "status symbol"++)

I hate Hollywood political movies, and The Butler still sounds more interesting than Jobs. At least its use of the Civil Rights movement is legitimate, as ham-fisted as it may be... (Oh, but I'm still not going to pay money to see it--- Eureka, I've just found a new way to justify Piracy!)

Also, I just learned what the word Hagiography means. Thank you, Professor MovieBob!

TheNarrator

Feb 12, 2010
MovieBob said:
Living_Brain said:
Does Bill Gates have a touching story to be made into a movie when he dies?
Eccentric nerd villified for two decades by popular-culture as some kind of evil creep (mostly for not being as superficially "cool" as Steve Jobs) none the less ultimately becomes world-class philanthropist, devoting his unimaginably large fortune toward world peace, environmental activism and curing deadly diseases? I imagine there's a narrative in there, somewhere :)
You can villify him quite easily just by looking at his own actions leading Microsoft. MS has a rich history of blatantly anticompetitive behaviour, investing a lot of time and energy in eliminating the competition in the most dirty ways imaginable. Doing philantropy doesn't excuse the gigantic, seemingly irrevocable damage that has been done to the operating system market. Especially since he's got more money than he can ever spend, so it's barely a sacrifice for him.

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
grigjd3 said:
zvate said:
Looks like they were trying to pull a citizen kane by taking a real person (hearst/jobs) and changing him as needed to make for a better movie (although obviously not nearly as successfully).

I wonder why the creative liberties and lies in Jobs (like not mentioning xerox) piss us off so much but in older movie classics we just don't care?
Very few people are aware of William Hearst anymore and Steve Jobs is still very present in the cultural mindset, particularly with techie types. As another example, Zachary Taylor and Warren Harding were largely viewed as a couple of the worst US presidents of all time and yet most people don't have any strong feelings about either of them today. Whatever Steve Jobs was, he's still definitely a name known by many Americans. Perhaps the most important lesson from this, however, is that in fifty years, Steve Jobs will likely be as unremembered as William Hearst is today.
That's assuming they aren't going to continue to use his digital likeness to do PR speeches for them... I've seen tackier add campaigns and we all know that someone is eventually going to give it a try and apple does love to 'innovate';)

Although, seriously, I don't particularly 'like' Steve Jobs and I certainly don't approve of revisionist history but he actually was kind of important and I see little reason for active hate of the person, himself (the movie is a different matter). He was talented at focusing on marketing, aesthetic design, and interface accessibility. he wasn't the only one involved but he was in charge of a company that has been wildly successful and was a major factor in changing how we view mobile tech. As the guy in charge for a lot of it you do have to give him props for success (kind of like he was the Don Corleone of the modern age... only we actually did benefit from this guy)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Ah and those movies are upon us once again. well lets at least hope people will see Jobs movie for what it is, an attempt to glorify him yet again that never ceases to amuse me.

MrOrbitz said:
Macs are my preferred computer I just like good tech
Does not compute?
Apple is same tech with twice the price for brand loyalty. And a locked one that you cant (well, are not supposed to) modify.

FilmDude89

Jan 6, 2013
Strazdas said:
Ah and those movies are upon us once again. well lets at least hope people will see Jobs movie for what it is, an attempt to glorify him yet again that never ceases to amuse me.

MrOrbitz said:
Does not compute?
Apple is same tech with twice the price for brand loyalty. And a locked one that you cant (well, are not supposed to) modify.
Yes. They're more expensive, But I like the build quality of their machines and prefer OSX to Windows.. Linux is out of the question for me because I'm not very tech savvy.
I also don't care about modifying my computer after I've purchased it.. I just need it to do computer stuff and consume content and for me Macs are what I prefer using. I have owned PC's before but got tired of the headaches I always seemed to run into while using them.. Probably by user error on my part but I haven't had such problems just using my Mac like I tried using my PC's. I don't care about playing Video games on my computer either, So I don't really need to modify or upgrade the hardware as well.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
MrOrbitz said:
Strazdas said:

MrOrbitz said:
Does not compute?
Yes. They're more expensive, But I like the build quality of their machines and prefer OSX to Windows.. Linux is out of the question for me because I'm not very tech savvy.
I also don't care about modifying my computer after I've purchased it.. I just need it to do computer stuff and consume content and for me Macs are what I prefer using. I have owned PC's before but got tired of the headaches I always seemed to run into while using them.. Probably by user error on my part but I haven't had such problems just using my Mac like I tried using my PC's. I don't care about playing Video games on my computer either, So I don't really need to modify or upgrade the hardware as well.
Fair enough, you exchange convienience for price quality and freedom. You have that choice, of course. Though what problms you ran into with (im assuming windows?) PCs? while pre-xp generation was really likely to err a lot (win 98 crasheed when bill gates presented it for the first time hehe), and i could make my XP cry (lets ignore vista ever happened for it was abomination that should be forgotten), i cant remmeber last time win 7 crashed on me. and im something you could consider "power user", the kind that would make vista desktop manager crash at least once a day. really for a "jsut wnat to consume items" windows is as good as anything.