Bastion Now Playable In Your Browser

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Bastion Now Playable In Your Browser

Assuming you're using Google Chrome that is. Supergiant games have released their PC/XBLA hit Bastion on the Chrome Web Store.

Thanks to Google's new "Native Client" [http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/ ] tech, developers can release complex programs that run directly in the browser, and by 'complex,' I mean games that aren't about chucking birds or cutting ropes.

You can download and try Bastion [https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/oohphhdkahjlioohbalmicpokoefkgid] here, and assuming you didn't buy it in yesterday's Steam Sale (poor timing there, guys) pick it up for $14.99. From what I can tell, it runs perfectly, and there's seemingly no difference between this version and the one on Steam, save the inclusion of a new easier difficulty setting. You can resume your game, saves and all, from any Chrome browser on any computer. It even works on Macs, which is fantastic given that current versions of the game are PC/XBLA only. The only downside is there's no option to buy the game's fantastic soundtrack.

We recently reported that Chrome just overtook Firefox as the second most popular browser [http://new.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114489-Googles-Chrome-Browser-Used-More-Than-Firefox], and with content like this it's clear to see why. Bastion [http://new.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9060-Bastion-Review] was one of the best indie games of the year, a particularly packed year at that, and there's scarcely a single aspect of it that isn't utterly pitch perfect. Now there's no excuse for not trying it.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
What with this, Square Enix saying they were going to start supporting Google Chrome, it's looking that Chrome could actually become a valid force in video gaming. Which is awesome =)

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Now if only Chrome could get their shit together when it comes to plug-ins.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wow, that's great news for mac users, if they can make more PC exclusive games work for chrome, it may finally make macs useful. Regarding this particular game, I'd rather have it on steam.

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
I just tried it and the audio is extremely stuttery and hurts my ears. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or New Zealand's fastest speed plan is slow. I think it's the second one.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Wait, it was on a Steam Sale yesterday!? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Why do things happen when I can't get on the computer?!

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
octafish said:
When was the last time you checked?

Firetaffer said:
I just tried it and the audio is extremely stuttery and hurts my ears. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or New Zealand's fastest speed plan is slow. I think it's the second one.
Working fine for me. Have you got an up to date version of Chrome?

OT: Pretty cool if you ask me. Browser based cloud gaming like this seems like a good direction for some games to go.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Cleril said:
Can they make a PS3 version now?

I have an an Xbox 360, yes, but I do not like Microsoft.
It'll run on a fairly old laptop if you don't have an objection to steam. Though I can't imagine playing it without a control pad.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
octafish said:
What's your issue with Chrome's plug ins? I waited a while before changing from Firefox for that reason but pretty sure it's even now.

With more things happening like this and Google pushing it's Chrome OS (likely related), it's going to surpass Firefox if it hasn't already very quickly.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
That's nice. If this means more people can experience the greatness of Bastion, Im all for it.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
More importantly, linux also supports chrome. Has anyone tried running it there yet?

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
J03bot said:
Cleril said:

It'll run on a fairly old laptop if you don't have an objection to steam. Though I can't imagine playing it without a control pad.
I don't know how well it would run. I had an older dedicated card and the framerate was pretty poor. I would get it on the 360 before a PC without a decent dedicated card.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
DazZ. said:
octafish said:
What's your issue with Chrome's plug ins? I waited a while before changing from Firefox for that reason but pretty sure it's even now.

With more things happening like this and Google pushing it's Chrome OS (likely related), it's going to surpass Firefox if it hasn't already very quickly.
Same here. Chrome was a non-option because it lacked the functionality of Firefox, but it's definitely catching up now.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Everybody needs to play The Bastion. Now. Although you really should have bought it yesterday...
I actually thought about posting a little PSA about it. Instead I just kept trying to sell my friend on it. Not sure if she bought it, but I really hope so.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Cleril said:

So you have a system that has the game, but you won't play it on there because you hate the company that created the system? Are you 12?