Batman and Superman "Facing Off" in Man of Steel Sequel

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Batman and Superman "Facing Off" in Man of Steel Sequel

The follow-up to Man of Steel will put Batman and Superman together on the big screen for the first time.

It's been revealed that Warner Bros. is in the process of creating a sequel to Man of Steel that will pair Superman with Batman on the big screen for the first time. The new film will be helmed by Man of Steel director Zack Snyder with Christopher Nolan again on as executive producer and David Goyer returning to pen the script. The film is expected to release in Summer of 2015 and serve, in part, as a prelude to a 2017 Justice League movie.

The immediate question coming out of this announcement is what the new movie's relationship will be to Nolan's none-too-recent Batman films. Producer Emma Thomas, who worked on The Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel and will also be helping with the new Batman/Superman film offered some clarification. "Whilst our Dark Knight trilogy is complete, we have every confidence that Zack's fresh interpretation will take the character in a new and exciting direction." The Bats in the new film, it would seem, will not be the same gravel-voiced gangster puncher from Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. Comments by Zack Snyder would also suggest the meet-up between the two heroes could be less than friendly. "It's beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world."

While we have to admit that it would be a neat turn to have Batman as an antagonist in the next Superman film, we still have some concerns that Warner Bros. may be rushing things a bit out of the hope of quickly piecing together a Justice League film to counter Marvel's monstrously successful Avengers. Granted, the team may arguably be up to the task and there are other DC hero films, such as a 2016 Flash movie, rumored to be in the works. That said, we're hoping Warner Bros. takes its time. The DC Universe is an incredibly rich setting possessing countless characters that deserve their own films and, in turn, could help set the foundation for a proper Justice League flick.

Source: <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/20/report-supermanbatman-movie-planned>IGN

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Amazing! I was not that taken with Man of Steel but I liked the ideas around Superman, Batman however I love! It's going to be a long wait.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
Just hoping that Batman doesn't steal the show completely.
Supposedly it's based on The Dark Knight Returns, but I'm hoping it only draws inspiration from it, I'd hate for a Superman movie to suffer from the infamous bat-fad...

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Spoiler: Superman wins.

(Honestly, if the film shows anything other than a complete non-contest when these two fight, it's kidding itself. Batman's great, and I don't like Superman that much, but superstrength + laser eyes + flying > martial arts + body armour + bat-themed vehicles).

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
Considering what a train wreck Man of Steel turned out to be, this news does not excite me. It worries me... a lot.

I mean come on, we just finished with Nolan's Batman last year. Do we REALLY need a rebooted Batman less than 3 years later?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
They are gonna screw this up royally. The biggest reason why The Avengers universe was so well translated to the big screen is because Marvel and Disney had a long-term plan for the franchise. They knew what they wanted.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Hmmm.

Well I think I have very little excitement about this.

DC seems to want to ignore that it's movies are based around superheroes.
Batman and Superman have both had all their life sucked out of them to have these brooding pieces of cinema that focus on whether they should exist or not.

Marvel seems to be quite giddy about being based around comics and ends their movies on high notes.

Man of Steel vs Iron Man 3? IM3 easily was a more enjoyable movie.

I mean its up to people to decide for themselves, but I like that Marvel and Disney realize that they are basing their work around comic books, and not acting like the history of the characters should be ignored.

HemalJB

Oct 10, 2011
The new Batman Symbol is a LOT worse than the new Superman symbol.
Also, this is too soon. Superman should have at least one movie where he is against Lex Luthor or Braniac or one of his own rogue's gallery before thinking of team-ups. I know Iron Man didnt, but as stated before, Iron Man was part of the whole Avengers movie plan, while this is being made up on the fly.
Personally, I have very little hope for this movie. Sure, it will probably be good, but it's just too much like "we need to compete with the MCU" rather than "Let's make an awesome Justice League movie."
And also, am not looking forward to Moviebob's Big Picture regarding this. He's already whining in a lot of his recent videos about Man of Steel, this will just make me lose interest in him (I get his hate, but he's really whining in his reviews lately, like during his Amazing Spiderman phase).

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
They are gonna screw this up royally. The biggest reason why The Avengers universe was so well translated to the big screen is because Marvel and Disney had a long-term plan for the franchise. They knew what they wanted.
I honestly think that with this film, Warner/DC are actually taking their time to establish their universe. They're setting up Clark and Bruce's friendship and potentially the need for a Justice League. If they release a Wonder Woman movie (who definitely needs one, since she has a rather "exotic" background), I can't see why a Justice League film can't move forward.

Green Lantern (horrible as it was), established the character and made the audience aware of him. If they introduce the Flash as a rookie hero/point of view character for the JL film (like Wolverine on the first X-Men movie) where we can be given a brief look into how he got his powers and how he's trying to use them...boom, instant JL setup.

Aquaman and Martian Manhunter can be saved for the sequel!

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Rather surprised by this news but given the fact that DC/WB are still running on clueless mode with their properties (Man of Steel being a recent case), I'm not feeling confident that this will turn out well. DC/WB have a lot to do in order to compete with Marvel/Disney and the gap between the two rivals is getting wider every year.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
Well... I was hoping for one more solo Superman movie. Man of Steel was great but it's focus was on Superman becoming the character we know him to be. I would have liked to see a movie where he is actually Superman, but I'm interested to see where this goes.

I am glad that DC isn't bothering with another Batman movie. Putting him in with the other characters works just fine. We all know his origins by this point anyway and changing the actor and look will signify that this is not the same Nolan Batman.

So I guess I'm mixed on this news.

While I don't want to overwork Snyder, I would love to see him do a Flash movie. Visually, it would be stunning.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
They haven't even introduced Kryptonite into the Man of Steel movie universe yet and they haven't introduced magic into ether movie universe yet.

If they do come to blows Batman is screwed.

Fordo

Oct 17, 2007
Article title should be: "Movie studio plays safest bet possible to continue milking audiences that like shiney things"

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'd wager there's a 90% chance we get a movie that's part godzilla vs. mothra, and part the odd couple/grumpy old men.

My gripe is it seems a bit predictable. But I can't wait to see it on netflix.

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
Wow... ballsy move.

Hope it works out.
MoS was not as good as Batman Begins, but I guess they're hoping to pull off a Dark Knight moment for Supes in the second outing.

Please don't let it suck...

Engage cautious optimism.

CTYR

Mar 25, 2012
It's not gonna work...
Just sayin', this is not going to work.
I have this over reaching, dark feeling that it's going to fall faster and harder than Batman and Robin.