Batman: Arkham Asylum Batarang Fails to Impress

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
eoin90210 said:
oliveira8 said:
Amnestic said:
Credge said:
This just in: Collectors editions are never worth it.
My pre-order of Assassin's Creed 2: Black Edition (UK exclusive bitches) frowns upon your shenanigans.
Wait till you find out that the action figure comes broken.
With tentacles
That's the Japanese version.

/snark

eoin90210 said:
Amnestic said:
Credge said:
My pre-order of Assassin's Creed 2: Black Edition (UK exclusive bitches) frowns upon your shenanigans.
You can get it in Ireland so suck it!
Fine, fine. Great Britain exclusive then.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
I got the CE, and I'm not that upset about the Batarang. I knew that it was going to be a cheap piece of plastic when the price of the CE was announced as $100. That is pricey, even for a collector's edition, but when you factor in that the game is $60, plus it comes with a bonus DVD, a leather journal, and DLC, the Batarang probably only accounts for about $15-20 of the CE price. You won't get a museum-quality replica for that much. Sucks that I can't take it off the stand though; I was expecting to at least be able to do that.

Full disclosure: I was not going to get the CE, but I had $80 worth of GameStop gift cards so I figured "What the Hell?" My opinion might be different if I had paid $100 out-of-pocket as opposed to only $20. But then again, it's Batarang: even a cheap plastic one is pretty cool to have on your shelf (at least it's a decent size and weight).

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
HENCE Why you NEVER, EVER Buy collectors editions unless you know for a FACT Its worth it.

My cousin got Red faction Guerilla Collecters Edition. The walker wasnt even lifesize. What a rip-off.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
While I think the overall quality of the batarang should have been higher, I can understand it not detaching from the stand. Here in the U.S. people will sue a company for any reason. So if the Batarang came off the stand and little Johnny threw it and damaged something (or someone) it would take about 5 seconds for someone to file a lawsuit against Eidos, DC Comics, and anyone else they think they could milk a few million dollars out of.

Also, from the listing on Amazon it did state that the stand was attached, so it was not a shock to me when I ordered it.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
The Battarang was never the main draw for the CE. The CE also comes with a leatherbound full color book thats a Journal of one of the psychiatrists at Arkham. That book probably accounted for 30 dollars.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
At least the batarang is kinda cool for a Collector's Edition collectible..

I still have all these stupid one-legged dwarfen thief miniatures...

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
the batarang isn't that bad, the case for the game is huge, i was pretty shocked by the size of it.

i just laugh at the people who think it would be a metal batarang for that price, $100 wouldn't even cover just the batarang let alone the game and all the extras

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I'm a sucker for CEs and the only bad one I've ever run into was Half-Life 2. Which, from what I can see, was kind of like Arkham Asylum: Great game, shitty extras. Overall, though, I love 'em.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
i wanst planning to get the collectors edition, so ive just saved myself a few pounds by reading this

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
Amnestic said:
eoin90210 said:
oliveira8 said:
Amnestic said:
Credge said:
Wait till you find out that the action figure comes broken.
With tentacles
That's the Japanese version.

/snark

eoin90210 said:
Amnestic said:
Credge said:
You can get it in Ireland so suck it!
Fine, fine. Great Britain exclusive then.
Crap If I was one of those IRA twats you'd be dead right now for saying that Ireland was part of Great Britain

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
Didnt people learn after the shitty Master chief helmet? Special addition just gets you a metal case nothing more.

NuclearJonJon

May 24, 2009
Shapsters said:
eoin90210 said:
Well that, along with MW2 has crushed my dream of fighting crime in the dark
Haha, the Ultimate Collector edition combination!

This yet again proves that Special editions are not worth it!
Fallout 3 was. And anything that comes in a steel book 'cause they sexy. Also the Russian special editions of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are mental. Apart from that I agree.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Hahahahahaha suckas! Collector's editions are very rarely worth it. Although I find it funny that Eidos got people all excited about the Batarang and the thing is a piece of crap.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
cleverlymadeup said:
the batarang isn't that bad, the case for the game is huge, i was pretty shocked by the size of it.

i just laugh at the people who think it would be a metal batarang for that price, $100 wouldn't even cover just the batarang let alone the game and all the extras
Actually, I was just about to say that you could probably find a metal batarang on the internet for less than $40. I've seen fancy looking fantasy knives made of low-grade steel going for £10 - I'd be astonished if you couldn't find something like a batarang for much less than thirty.

That said, I was thinking about the customer who cares about getting a game and a fancy toy for $100 - the production costs of a plastic batarang would be pennies, while a low-quality metal one would be a few dollars. The publishers might not be fond of the difference in profit margins, no matter how minor. I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect a metal batarang, but I'm hardly surprised that they went for plastic.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
The last collectors edition I got was Fallout 3, hands down one of the greatest CE's ever.

Worth the pennys.

However, This one, just no.

slaygore

Mar 6, 2008
Anyone in Canada who bought the Collector's Edition was stupid cause the standard game was half price($38) while the CE was still at $100. So in the end they would be paying $60 extra for a batarang.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
What a rip-off, I'd actually have considered getting the Collector's Edition before, but now I definitely won't. But still, what a disappointment, it wasn't even made from good plastic or maybe some metal or something, how much more would itr have costed them to make a decent fake batarang. I mean, it doesn't even come off the stand, how much more would that have costed? Nothing, that's how much. This stinks, this is total BS!

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Heh well I guess you don't always get what you pay for. Sorry to anyone that go it.
Too bad it's glued to the base. I mean I agree, you gotta take it out and wave it around from time to time