Batman: Arkham Asylum Batarang Fails to Impress

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
for once im glad that us pc gamers gets to wait, as an embarrassing huge batman fan i was ready to camp out for the CE, but instead of getting that ugly plastic display batarang i got wolfenstein and i still get the game.

sometimes its nice to be overseen by an evil cooperation.
its like all of america and every ps3 and xbox owner is my personal crash dummys.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Suddenly I feel much smarter for not buying the special edition.

Seriously, it's like a step below the Halo 3 special edition with the Master Chief helmet that you could only use to house the game and the two special edition DVDs.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SilverHammerMan said:
Woodsey said:
How much of an idiot do you have to be to think they'd sell something that could be classed as a weapon?

Of course it was sh*t, that's how they make shit loads of money from people who are convinced paying double the price of the game for a special toy is super cool, and fall for it every time.

The same people buy "collector's editions" (surely having the game is the point?) over and over again and then whine about how bad they are again and again.

What do you expect?
I'm a little puzzled by your first statement. Did you mean that people expected it to be an actual viable weapon? Because that's the impression you gave me. And for the record they just Expected a nice little plastic batarang that the could take of the stand and mess around with once in awhile. Though you right, they shouldn't have expected much as Collector's Editions are almost always massive letdowns.
Sorry, what I meant was that they probably wouldn't be allowed to sell a metal one, as that could then be classed as a weapon, and it could be suggested that some people might view it as that instead of an ornament. And let's face it, if someone used that against someone else then Eidos would probably be sued.

And I've actually seen a number of posts wanting/expecting a metal one so... dunno, maybe they're in the minority.

The game's excellent btw, bought it on release date (yesterday) here in the UK. Can't put it down.

Jay Cee

Nov 27, 2008
lee1287 said:
well.... people should know it wouldn't be that good.. i doubt i'll even get the game though, so, i can't comment. bad edios, bad.
I purchased the game and however unfarmiliar these words are coming out of my harsh critical soul, it was thoroughly superb.

I really just can't stretch the level of effort that went into the excellent pacing and design of the entire experience.

I'd say it was the best game I'd played THIS YEAR, but by those standards it's sort of like beating a narcoleptic leper in an arm wrestle.

Cairo

Mar 11, 2009
When I reserved my copy, it was still metal, I think. Either way, I'm such a batfan I couldn't say "no." I just... couldn't.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Starke said:
Regarding non-Worthless Collector's Editions

The Guild Wars Collector's Edition shipped with a pair of headphones I still use, so, CEs aren't completely worthless.
The collectors editions of Factions and Nightfall were also well worth the relatively minor price increase (no headphones though).

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Starke said:
Regarding non-Worthless Collector's Editions

The Guild Wars Collector's Edition shipped with a pair of headphones I still use, so, CEs aren't completely worthless.
The collectors editions of Factions and Nightfall were also well worth the relatively minor price increase (no headphones though).
I wouldn't know, I got off that train about a month after launch, when I realized that the game had undergone some kind of horrible mutation in the Korean beta.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Lol if people looked up the collectors edition you could have read it was plastic and attached to a stand that's the very reason I didn't buy one. It's a game being sold to people under 18 they cannot legally sell an actual batarang. If you wasn't one look online there are many places you can buy one. Just avoid budk they only deal in shit quality for everything.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I knew there was a reason that when the guy at gamestop told me "Hey dude, you know the collector's edition comes with a bataran?" I was like "Really that's awsome, how much is the CE?" and he says "$100" *I pondered the thought for a moment* "No thanks, I have enough deadly game/comic based weapons sitting in my house already, one reservation for Arkham non-CE plz."

I would be pissed as well though, someone tells me I'm getting a batarang I want that ***** to be metal and deadly.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Credge said:
This just in: Collectors editions are never worth it.
I don't know, opening up the everquest collectors edition (Back when they had 2 expansions, not 300000) and getting a pewter character piece to use in your DnD minitures or such was actually kinda neat (And it was made of *Gasp* METAL!)

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
But that extra $40 (over the regular version) wasn't just for the Batarang but also for the second behind-the-scenes disc, the Crime Alley map, and the Arkham journal. Evenly divided, the Batarang is really only a $10 pack-in.

I didn't buy the CE, in case anyone's wondering, as I didn't want to drop $100 on a game despite the little added bits (though the journal looked pretty cool in the pics.) The game's awesome and that's ultimately what the gamers should care about. Leave the goofy props/toys to the special Batman fans [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM7fuHb2TlQ].

KeyMaster45 said:
someone tells me I'm getting a batarang I want that ***** to be metal and deadly.
You know, those are only a search engine [http://www.theblackbat.com/servlet/the-Batarangs/Categories] away. ;)

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Such a shame. So much hype over a simple batarang and then this. Good thing the game was awsome though.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
lee1287 said:
well.... people should know it wouldn't be that good.. i doubt i'll even get the game though, so, i can't comment. bad edios, bad.
The game will make you cum rainbows.

But as for the collectors edition, when was the last time that a collectors edition was actually worth it? That's not rhetorical, I'm honestly curious because I've never seen one. Even the SPORE galactic edition had it in reverse. The case and stuff was sex but the game that it came with was crap. So I still can't think of one that was all around great.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I feel bad. It looked alright. I mean, for 100 dollars, that's steep to pay for a piece of plastic that looks like a Batarang. I think it's a good thing that you can't take it off the stand, because inevitably some kid is going to be throwing it around and hurt someone with it and then they'd have a lawsuit on their hands. Better safe than sorry, but I really think that they should have maybe put more effort into it. Like actually making it out of metal or something.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
I don't know, I kinda liked the Alex Mercer figurine that came with CE Prototype, and the metal Big Daddy Statuette with Bioshock was kinda cool.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Amnestic said:
Credge said:
This just in: Collectors editions are never worth it.
My pre-order of Assassin's Creed 2: Black Edition (UK exclusive bitches) frowns upon your shenanigans.
This is a rather late reply, but... You can also get the Black Edition in Australia.

Just so you know~