Batman: Arkham City Designers Toyed with Penning New Character

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
Am I the only one who saw this headline and started laughing?

"George RR Martin thought about writing different book; went 'eh, nvm'."

"Martin Scorsese contemplated a sex change, thought better of it."

"Christopher Nolan considered eating sandwich before heading out; figured w/e, they would have food there."

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Considering Paul Dini wrote for Batman: The Animated Series(among other Batman related projects), helped create Harley Quinn and helped write the story for Arkham Asylum and will be doing the same for Arkham City I don't see why they didn't go ahead and try to do a little bit of there own thing.

Maybe they will get their chance if there is another follow up to AC.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
LobsterFeng said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Calendar Man?

Seriously?
Isn't this guy going to be in "The Dark Knight Rises" too? That's what I heard.
Pretty much EVERY batman villain made before the 90's started out as really goofy and stupid. Two Face for example just really digged robbing TWO banks or gothams '2nd national bank' ect.
Calander Man is now typically portrayed as a Hannibal Lecter type serial killer obsessed with dates and patterns of.

That being said I think I'd rather they take one of the botarded characters that hasn't been touched in a few decades and update them.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
I think a new character could work, with the material of the game they could flesh out a villain's origin story and have him/her rise to prominence throughout the course of the game, possibly for the third game if DC allowed it.

Smallville introduced Chloe Sullivan as a new character, and now she's part of the canon - so if a character is done well, and fleshed out enough so that the fans get a sense of understanding then it could have done very well.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
ace_of_something said:
LobsterFeng said:
Calendar Man?

Seriously?
Pretty much EVERY batman villain made before the 90's started out as really goofy and stupid. Two Face for example just really digged robbing TWO banks or gothams '2nd national bank' ect.
Calander Man is now typically portrayed as a Hannibal Lecter type serial killer obsessed with dates and patterns of.

That being said I think I'd rather they take one of the botarded characters that hasn't been touched in a few decades and update them.
Yeah I understand that The Joker started out as a playful trickster type of villain. Either way I'm excited to see how it turns out because I really liked his portrayal of Scarecrow (even though he didn't do much.)

Jul 9, 2008
LobsterFeng said:
Woodsey said:
Calendar Man?

Seriously?
Batman?

Seriously?
Point taken, Woodsey.
LobsterFeng said:
I think that's The Holiday Killer.
Oh, I thought they were the same guy.
I don't know enough to say either way, honestly.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
LightspeedJack said:
I think the games have reached enough fan popularity to introduce a new character to the Batman canon. As long as it's a good character, mind.
That sums up the general view really. I think if they had wanted to do that they would have probably needed to have a set-up for a villain to emerge from a character in the first one, otherwise he/she would just come out of nowhere and might feel out of place in a sequel...

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Zhukov said:
... but then they realised that such a thing would result in comic fans queuing up to take a shit in their letter box.
Weird thing is Batman fans are the one group that they could probably get away with doing this. While most comics fans are rabid in their pickiness over the addition of new characters from "non canon" sources, Batman is the one franchise that has had great success in this. The Barbara Gordon Batgirl and Mr. Freeze both originated in the campy 60's tv series and were later ported over to the comic. Harley Quinn was created for the WB animated series and quickly became a fan favorite as well. These types of successes means that the fans are probably more likely to give a new character created for a very well made game a chance before going Batsh@t insane.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
If they do it as well as they've shown the potential to do so; ther own character would be an awesome idea. Also; the line-up looks damn awesome. Cannot wait to see where they go with it.

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
teknoarcanist said:
Am I the only one who saw this headline and started laughing?

"George RR Martin thought about writing different book; went 'eh, nvm'."

"Martin Scorsese contemplated a sex change, thought better of it."

"Christopher Nolan considered eating sandwich before heading out; figured w/e, they would have food there."
I think you might be missing the point of the article. Even though they didn't, at least one mind on their team was for it. It could happen down the line. And besides, if someone as accomplished as Scorsese was contemplating having a sex change, people would read that article.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Woodsey said:
Hopefully this won't comes with fucking GfWL - I'd rather play it on the PC.

As for the game, really looking forward to it. They've said its a lot darker than the last, but I really hope it honestly is - my biggest problem with the last is that Batman, as is often the case (with the exception of Nolan's films), really is the least interesting person around. I want him to be broken and crying like a little girl saying he can't go on. Make it so!
on a completley unrelated note I kind of want that to happen to comander shepard in Mass effect 3, as much as I like him/her (her) shepard jsut seems a little too ok with the whole "entire universe on your shoulders" thing

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
LightspeedJack said:
I think the games have reached enough fan popularity to introduce a new character to the Batman canon. As long as it's a good character, mind.
Well...none of the series is Batman canon, so if they put a new character in, it doesnt mean they will become a mainstay in the comics. What happens in the Arkham series, stays in the Arkham series...unless the comic writers say otherwise.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Good for us that the designers ignored the naysaying of their tech team
Good for us consumers when designers create a too vivid world that the engine can't handle and the whole thing get postponed for a few months while they cut content and try to fix all the problems the tech-team warned them about half a year ago?

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
Calendar Man?

Seriously?
had a similar thought.[/quote

have you seen the calendar man in Arkham Asylum on the character bios? he looks nothing like that and probably is quite different.