Batman: Arkham City Designers Toyed with Penning New Character

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Realitycrash said:
Good for us that the designers ignored the naysaying of their tech team
Good for us consumers when designers create a too vivid world that the engine can't handle and the whole thing get postponed for a few months while they cut content and try to fix all the problems the tech-team warned them about half a year ago?
This story reminds me more of The Incredibles, where the tech team sort of went, "you want long hair? Clothes? Long hair that's wet/in wind/muddy? Hands passing through clothes?" and eventually one of the producers said to the director, "well... long hair is theoretical, at this point."

...and he sort of screamed "THEORETICAL? THE MOVIE IS RELEASING IN A MATTER OF WEEKS! MAKE IT SO!"

...and it was so. Y'see, when you have big ambitions and a creative team that is perplexed by the proposition, but not entirely willing to give up on doing it. Arkham City is a project with a lot of talented artists and programmers behind it, but they seem committed to seeing this project through to its end in as best a way possible, and I doubt they'll throw their arms in the air and give up (the technical team) - they obviously have it working to some degree or they wouldn't be touting it now.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Vault101 said:
Woodsey said:
Hopefully this won't comes with fucking GfWL - I'd rather play it on the PC.

As for the game, really looking forward to it. They've said its a lot darker than the last, but I really hope it honestly is - my biggest problem with the last is that Batman, as is often the case (with the exception of Nolan's films), really is the least interesting person around. I want him to be broken and crying like a little girl saying he can't go on. Make it so!
on a completley unrelated note I kind of want that to happen to comander shepard in Mass effect 3, as much as I like him/her (her) shepard jsut seems a little too ok with the whole "entire universe on your shoulders" thing
I've thought about that but for actually, but I suppose the issue there comes with the fact that character development is under the control of the player. I suppose they could manipulate a situation however; I think they did something like that in the first game, where your love interest will come and talk to you. Happened with Ashley for me, where Shepard was checking an equipment locker or something and they give you the chance to talk about it.

Feb 13, 2008
seagoon said:
have you seen the calendar man in Arkham Asylum on the character bios? he looks nothing like that and probably is quite different.
Got Arkham Asylum the graphic novel, but like most DC characters he's both this:

And that old guy in the silly costume.

DC has a habit of doing that.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Woodsey said:
Vault101 said:
Woodsey said:
Hopefully this won't comes with fucking GfWL - I'd rather play it on the PC.

As for the game, really looking forward to it. They've said its a lot darker than the last, but I really hope it honestly is - my biggest problem with the last is that Batman, as is often the case (with the exception of Nolan's films), really is the least interesting person around. I want him to be broken and crying like a little girl saying he can't go on. Make it so!
on a completley unrelated note I kind of want that to happen to comander shepard in Mass effect 3, as much as I like him/her (her) shepard jsut seems a little too ok with the whole "entire universe on your shoulders" thing
I've thought about that but for actually, but I suppose the issue there comes with the fact that character development is under the control of the player. I suppose they could manipulate a situation however; I think they did something like that in the first game, where your love interest will come and talk to you. Happened with Ashley for me, where Shepard was checking an equipment locker or something and they give you the chance to talk about it.
I think it could definetly work

it might play out differently depending on if your renegade/ paragon for example shepard is really really upset, a renegade might blow up in a fit of anger (mabye some angry tears) where as a paragon might be a little less agressive and cry more

or the situation could be so horrible/hopeless that shepard reacts the same way regardless of alignment

eather way its going to take a hell of alot of pressue to make shepard cry

Im really looking forward ot see what they come up with I doubt theyll go so far as to make shepard cry but I hoping theyll make him/her hurt a little (that sounded sadistic but you know what I mean)

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
seagoon said:
have you seen the calendar man in Arkham Asylum on the character bios? he looks nothing like that and probably is quite different.
no doubt but of all the other villains in the Batman universe, calendar man? really?

obscure villains need love too it seems XD