Batman: Arkham Origins maybe the best Batman game I ever played. (Why'd it do so poorly?)

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
You know, the curfew plot point didn't bother me so much. I mean it worked in Max Payne, why wouldn't it work here? This is GOTHAM after all, old GOTHAM, a place where if you're the least bit not corrupt and don't want to get robbed/killed you stay indoors after dark.

I'll admit, I was disappointed there isn't a more lively city, but I can forgive it. It's not even a Rocksteady game so I knew they weren't going to change things too much.

The only glitch I've encountered so far was I kicked a thug through a wall when I knocked him out. I also haven't had any timing issues. Pretty much, especially with that line launcher thing, I really feel like I AM BATMAN when I clear out a whole room of thugs.

The other bosses going to side quests... It didn't bother me so much because I pretty much tackled them like Batman would. What? Anarky is planting bombs? I'm SHUTTING HIM DOWN! I went proactive with it.

The Joker bait and switch, I don't mind so much, because I love the character so much. I just played through the scene with him and Harley and it's just awesome.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
It didn't do that badly. 3.38 million copies sold. It just didn't do what Arkham City did (closer to 10 million).

3.5 x 60 = about 200 million bucks?

City has been out a looong time too. I have it on PS3, Windows Live for PC and then Steam, but only cost me about $1 from humblebundle.com

I played through the PS3 opening so far and really like it.

And it is facing a huge challenge. It is doing the same sort of thing for the 3rd time. It isn't as fresh as City anymore.

Still, very, very good.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Personally, it's less that Origin's is a bad game, buggy, granted, but not bad.
It's more how it compares to the other games in terms of gameplay, I mean, it feels like the grapple SERIOUSLY got nerfed at times, especially when I can't grapple onto the bridge in the middle of the city.
The Worse Nightmare challenges suffer from the trope "Lost Forever" and it all reaks of "I could be so much better, but I'm not."

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
I rather thought it was the weakest of the three. In the first two, I felt like I was protecting Gotham from a threat only I (read: Batman) could contain. In Arkham Origins...I just felt like Batman was a psychopath beating the shit out of people. Yes, I know they were 'bad guys' but are there *no* civilians in Gotham besides Alfred and Barbara Gordon?

Seriously, this isn't supposed to be some supermax; this is supposed to be Gotham City, yes? Are we really expected to believe the crime rate is 99%? In the end, I just didn't feel like I was helping anyone. For every asshat I crippled for life, ten more would sprout up two minutes later. I actually began to wonder if this was all in Batman's head, and he was just attacking random strangers due to some psychotic episode. In fact, I felt Batman's case was severely weakened when it came to the Riddler. Enigma was just going after corrupt people and extorting them. There were no torture traps or anything of the like; he was doing practically the same thing Batman was doing -just more effectively and with less violence.

I understand -gameplay wise- that this was meant to be an extension of the other Arkham games; but it just felt like the narrative 'point' was sacrificed here.

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
It is great, the story's beautifully crafted and there's competent nods to Batman year one, Killing joke and what-not. I seriously don't know what the fuck is up with people, guess they're just not batman fans and the game offered nothing new mechanically, still it should be a 7 at the very least.

The glitches on PC were very minor, I only got the Nigma sidequest one(now fixed) but people say it was pretty bad in the consoles(heh) so I don't know.

(It was my only pre-order of 2013 so I played when everyone was complaining about the bugs.)