Batman: Arkham Origins players, what is the complete villain roster? (Obviously spoilery territory)

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
I'm a huge Gothamverse fan who loved the previous two games and I wanted to know who was appearing in the game before purchase. The rumours from the promo material mean that it's kind-of hard to get a straight answer of who is actually appearing other than the big hitters, so I'm appealing to people who have already played it, what is the complete Arkham roster for this game?

(From a personal POV I was hoping to see Scarecrow play a central role, as AA did him so well and imo AC really missed an opportunity to have him around. I'd also love for Two-Face to get more than two minutes of screentime; his character always provides a nice jumping-off point into Bruce Wayne's failures and personal moral stance if he's delved into. I'm really looking forward to having the Riddler around again too. Tbh there are so many other Arkham guys that the game franchise could do; Facade (imagine the mascarade/mirror theme and rigged mannequins in a socialite hostage situation), Dr Phosphorous, Professor Pyg (I know chronology-wise that makes no sense but shhh I can dream), hell, even Roxy Rocket could make for some really interesting parkour and/or aerial-combat gameplay, and her character would suit the world if they emphasised her adrenalin-addiction as more of a psychotic obsession.)

So yeah, basically, who actually appears? Also, for that matter, did you think there were characters the game was lacking?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
jessegeek said:
So yeah, basically, who actually appears? Also, for that matter, did you think there were characters the game was lacking?
Having beaten it last night (probably could have done it sooner, but I haven't had much free time since Friday), I can give you the list that you're seeking:

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that Harley Quinn is technically in there, though she's not Harley Quinn at any point in the game. You just get to see Harley Quinzel doing a psych evaluation of The Joker and see her going all fan-girl all over him. End Edit.

First, the 8 assassins:
Killer Croc
Electrocutioner
Deadshot
Shiva (Talia al Gul...at least I think they're the same. She definitely works for the League of Assassins, talking about how Batman has been chosen by "her master" and such)
Deathstroke
Copperhead
Firefly
Bane

Also appearing in the game is The Joker, the Mad Hatter, and of course The Riddler, though in this case he's just known as Enigma. Once again he's got a bunch of collectibles that need to be retrieved, however this time there's actually a point to it beyond "Go out and grab these trophies!" Evidently he's got a lot of intel that he's going to use to expose various people of power throughout the city and it will apparently cause absolute chaos if he's allowed to succeed.

Other people that appear include some kid named Anarchy and the Penguin is back as well. Oh, and of course Black Mask.
And I think that about covers it.

Edit: As far as characters who I felt "could" have been in there. They already had a pretty hefty roster, matching - if not surpassing - that of Arkham City. Don't really know how they could have squeezed anyone else in there. I wouldn't have minded seeing Poison Ivy in there just because she's always fun to look at. :3

But yeah, they're already kinda over-stuffed as it is with so many villains, it's obvious they didn't really know what to do with a lot of them. I mean Electrocutioner is LITERALLY a joke. Deathstroke just shows up, you fight him, and that's all. Shiva gives you a puzzle room and then a pretty tough fight, Killer Croc is who you fight at the end of the tutorial level...

Really a lot of people said that Arkham City had too many villains so they were cutting into other villain's time, well that's really the case here.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
RJ 17 said:
jessegeek said:
Having beaten it last night (probably could have done it sooner, but I haven't had much free time since Friday), I can give you the list that you're seeking:

First, the 8 assassins:
Killer Croc
Electrocutioner
Deadshot
Shiva (Talia al Gul...at least I think they're the same. She definitely works for the League of Assassins, talking about how Batman has been chosen by "her master" and such)
Deathstroke
Copperhead
Firefly
Bane

Also appearing in the game is The Joker, the Mad Hatter, and of course The Riddler, though in this case he's just known as Enigma. Once again he's got a bunch of collectibles that need to be retrieved, however this time there's actually a point to it beyond "Go out and grab these trophies!" Evidently he's got a lot of intel that he's going to use to expose various people of power throughout the city and it will apparently cause absolute chaos if he's allowed to succeed.

Other people that appear include some kid named Anarchy and the Penguin is back as well. Oh, and of course Black Mask.
Does Bane get to do anything even slightly reminiscent of breaking Batman's back? Since you know it's referenced in Asylum ("this time I break YOU") I thought maybe they'd worked that into the prequel.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
RJ 17 said:
jessegeek said:

First, the 8 assassins:
Killer Croc
Electrocutioner
Deadshot
Deathstroke
Copperhead
Firefly
Bane

Does Bane get to do anything even slightly reminiscent of breaking Batman's back? Since you know it's referenced in Asylum ("this time I break YOU") I thought maybe they'd worked that into the prequel.
Yep, he's basically the final fight of the game and he does indeed do the whole back-breaker move (slamming Batman down on his knee). I'd say Bane is handled much better in this game than in Asylum or City...especially better than he was in City.

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
RJ 17 said:
jessegeek said:

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that Harley Quinn is technically in there, though she's not Harley Quinn at any point in the game. You just get to see Harley Quinzel doing a psych evaluation of The Joker and see her going all fan-girl all over him. End Edit.

First, the 8 assassins:
Killer Croc
Electrocutioner
Deadshot
Deathstroke
Copperhead
Firefly
Bane

Edit: As far as characters who I felt "could" have been in there. They already had a pretty hefty roster, matching - if not surpassing - that of Arkham City. Don't really know how they could have squeezed anyone else in there. I wouldn't have minded seeing Poison Ivy in there just because she's always fun to look at. :3

But yeah, they're already kinda over-stuffed as it is with so many villains, it's obvious they didn't really know what to do with a lot of them. I mean Electrocutioner is LITERALLY a joke. Deathstroke just shows up, you fight him, and that's all. Shiva gives you a puzzle room and then a pretty tough fight, Killer Croc is who you fight at the end of the tutorial level...

Really a lot of people said that Arkham City had too many villains so they were cutting into other villain's time, well that's really the case here.
Thanks for the really comprehensive answer, that was great!
If Shiva is the same as the comics incarnation of Shiva, then she isn't an identity used by Talia Al Ghul, but actually a separate assassin who also works in the League. And you're right about it being stuffed with villains, which is great fun but tiresome when they don't use 'em properly, however I am really looking forward to meeting Lady Shiva, Firefly and Copperhead in the context of the Arkham games.

Tbh, I can't help but feel a little disappointed that the trilogy didn't revisit Scarecrow after his first appearance. He was fantastic, and there are so many other ways you could use the platform of the fear toxins in gameplay, so I felt he should've been one of the returning ones. I mean, Arkham City even had that "oh check it out he has plans!" Easter egg, and I know that Origins is a prequel but unless they're going to make a fourth game set post Joker's death then that didn't really amount to much, which is a shame.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Agreed, I too felt like most of the villains (like Deathstroke, Deadshot Shiva, Copperhead and Firefly) got little build-up. Beyond the intro pretty much outright telling you they'll turn up sometime during the game, you see very little signs that these villains are out there hunting you. Like you said: they show up, you do a little mission and fight them, and done.

It's especially egregious with Deathstroke, one of the few DC non-superpowered villains who could take on a fully prepared Batman head-on and still win. He'd have been perfect as a hounding presence throughout the game, showing up multiple times in unexpected ways.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Chimpzy said:
RJ 17 said:
Agreed, I too felt like most of the villains (like Deathstroke, Deadshot Shiva, Copperhead and Firefly) got little build-up. Beyond the intro pretty much outright telling you they'll turn up sometime during the game, you see very little signs that these villains are out there hunting you. Like you said: they show up, you do a little mission and fight them, and done.

It's especially egregious with Deathstroke, one of the few DC non-superpowered villains who could take on a fully prepared Batman head-on and still win. He'd have been perfect as a hounding presence throughout the game, showing up multiple times in unexpected ways.
Agreed, I was quite disappointed that we only fight him once, after he was in EVERY SINGLE trailer and poster and everything. Seems like a cop-out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
bigfatcarp93 said:
Chimpzy said:
RJ 17 said:

Agreed, I was quite disappointed that we only fight him once, after he was in EVERY SINGLE trailer and poster and everything. Seems like a cop-out.
Then again the Arkham series is no stranger to crap boss fights, bar Mr. Freeze.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
jessegeek said:
Thanks for the really comprehensive answer, that was great!
If Shiva is the same as the comics incarnation of Shiva, then she isn't an identity used by Talia Al Ghul, but actually a separate assassin who also works in the League. And you're right about it being stuffed with villains, which is great fun but tiresome when they don't use 'em properly, however I am really looking forward to meeting Lady Shiva, Firefly and Copperhead in the context of the Arkham games.

Tbh, I can't help but feel a little disappointed that the trilogy didn't revisit Scarecrow after his first appearance. He was fantastic, and there are so many other ways you could use the platform of the fear toxins in gameplay, so I felt he should've been one of the returning ones. I mean, Arkham City even had that "oh check it out he has plans!" Easter egg, and I know that Origins is a prequel but unless they're going to make a fourth game set post Joker's death then that didn't really amount to much, which is a shame.
The encounter with Mad Hatter is MUCH better than the one in Arkham City. It's pretty similar to Scarecrow's reality-altering sections in Asylum, in that the Hatter actually pulls you into his Wonderland. You go through some very nice looking set-pieces and platforming puzzles, get into a couple of fights, then finally fight the Hatter and his goons.

Chimpzy said:
RJ 17 said:

Yeah, I was REALLY hoping that Deathstroke would have turned out to be a much more prominent figure in the city. I would have liked multiple encounters with him rather than just showing up completely unannounced, getting beaten, and then just disappearing until you see him in a jail cell during the finale.

Johnny Novgorod said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
Chimpzy said:
RJ 17 said:

Then again the Arkham series is no stranger to crap boss fights, bar Mr. Freeze.
What's really funny is that the last true fight of the game is against Bane when he's all grotesquely bulged out and tripping off some super Venom. They tried to do it like the Mr. Freeze fight in that you have to use Takedowns to damage him, but due to the area that you're in, you can really only do like, 4 (straight from behind, jumping out of a vent, jumping out of a floor grate, and crouched behind a corner).

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Yeah, I was REALLY hoping that Deathstroke would have turned out to be a much more prominent figure in the city. I would have liked multiple encounters with him rather than just showing up completely unannounced, getting beaten, and then just disappearing until you see him in a jail cell during the finale.[/quote]
It's especially odd because the vast majority of the trailers where hyping him up to be a big deal. Hell, even the in-game character profile was making him out to be the baddest of the bunch, and yet he's the first one you really fight (after Croc, anyways). Kinda sad.

Oh yeah, to add one more to the list, Alberto Falcone makes an appearance, although he doesn't do much more than get beaten up by Penguin.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Tahaneira said:
Oh yeah, to add one more to the list, Alberto Falcone makes an appearance, although he doesn't do much more than get beaten up by Penguin.
Yeah, I didn't count him, because as you said: he doesn't really do anything...he's just there for a cutscene. That, and it's his FATHER who's the true villain, Alberto's just a worthless little prick. :p

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Tahaneira said:
Yeah, I didn't count him, because as you said: he doesn't really do anything...he's just there for a cutscene. That, and it's his FATHER who's the true villain, Alberto's just a worthless little prick. :p
Yeah, pretty much.
Unless they decide to do something with Holiday. They probably won't, but hey, I can hold out hope.