Batman/Catwoman Relationship Will Sizzle, Says Arkham City Writer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Batman/Catwoman Relationship Will Sizzle, Says Arkham City Writer

While Batman and Catwoman are clearly into each other, until one of them changes their ways, it just won't work.

It's no secret that Batman and Catwoman like each other; whether it's in movies, TV shows, or comic books, there's a spark between the two of them that's impossible to deny. Batman: Arkham City isn't about to buck the trend, and writer Paul Dini - who worked on Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond - says that there will be a lot of "heat" between them in the game.

"I'd say it's pretty true to their current relationship or what everybody thinks of their relationship," he explained. "There is affection, mutual esteem, and there is also a lot of stubbornness. Like, if you don't do what I'm going to say we're going to fight now." Dini likened the pair's relationship in Arkham City to the sort of thing you might find on TV, with both characters clearly interested in the other, but neither taking it to the next stage.

Speaking about Batman and Catwoman's relationship in a wider sense, Dini said that there would always be friction between the two, as they had very different problem solving methods. There was also the fact that one was a criminal and the other a crime fighter, which tended to make things problematic.

Arkham City has an award-winning writer with a long history of writing for Batman properties, two very talented voice actors playing Batman and Catwoman - Kevin Conroy and Grey DeLisle, both of whom have masses of experience - and a developer that really seems to understand what makes Batman so enjoyable. The deck is really stacked in its favor when it comes to making these scenes work, which is good news for Batman fans everywhere.

Batman: Arkham City comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on October 18th.

Source: Silconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/25/batman-and-catwoman-will-have-heat-between-them-in-arkham-city-but-thats-it/]

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Breaking news! A game based on a comic book, using characters from the comic book, will have the same character interactions as the comic book!

Actually, I'm happy to see this. About the only time Bruce Wayne's Batman has any characterisation is with Catwoman around, so it's awesome that they're doing this in game.
October's a really long way away, isn't it...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Hmm.

I wish they'd buck the trend a little in that regard. If I had one complaint about Arkham Asylum (besides the boss fights), its that Batman is entirely predictable, as is what happens to all the other characters - they got locked away to fight another day. They shouldn't be afraid to push it just because some Bat-pussies might whine.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Yay for corny love interest, because we really don't get enough of them these days.

Well as long as they don't pull out the nipple bat suit it might still be ok, a nipple cat suit on the other hand... worth a ponder.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
There was also the fact that one was a criminal and the other a crime fighter, which tended to make things problematic.
I love the fact that Batman isn't considered a criminal in his world. Sure, a lot of things he do can be covered under the "citizen arrest" law, but there is still a shitload of stuff he does and have done that is illegal and clearly is just "end justifies the means", something that very few legal-systems accept.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
manythings said:
Irish Soulface said:
they would make one crazy baby...
The Huntress (if I remember my DC lore) is pretty crazy.
In one of the old continuities, yes. That's since been retconned out of existence by one of DC's many reboots.

Realitycrash said:
Logan Westbrook said:
There was also the fact that one was a criminal and the other a crime fighter, which tended to make things problematic.
I love the fact that Batman isn't considered a criminal in his world. Sure, a lot of things he do can be covered under the "citizen arrest" law, but there is still a shitload of stuff he does and have done that is illegal and clearly is just "end justifies the means", something that very few legal-systems accept.
In some Batman comic books, he is considered a criminal. It's less common now, but it has happened.

Wextra

Apr 27, 2011
I wonder if how much of Talia al Ghul will be in the game, and if she will have much to do with Batmans love life in the game. A love triangle could be interesting. Talia and Selina having a cat fight..... um sorry. I couldn't resist.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I've always had a crush on Catwoman ever since I saw Batman Returns....

Oh sorry, just entered my own little world for a moment. Anyway:
I gotta say, I like this news a lot. Batman and Catwoman's relationship had always been interesting to me and I honestly think that of all of Batman's potential love interests in all forms of media, Catwoman is the only one who is good enough for him.
Someone who is equally as tough as he is, and just as stubborn. Someone who he both loves and hates as they mix flirtation with fighting, I like that. So yeah, looking forward to seeing some of that chemistry between the two of them light up.

The game is just sounding better and better by the minute.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
this isnt my name said:
That's actually pretty funny.

Oh, and though Huntress is no longer Batman's and Catwoman's lovechild, she's still crazy.

She had dodgy parents who got killed. Yeah, original.

Andothul

Feb 11, 2010
People forget that while Catwoman is a romance of Batman, his true love and the mother of his child is actually Talia al Ghul.

The huntress thing was in an alternate universe (Earth Two).

Talia and Batman have a son who becomes the new Robin at some point.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Andothul said:
People forget that while Catwoman is a romance of Batman, his true love and the mother of his child is actually Talia al Ghul.

People don't forget the whole Talia thing, we just don't believe she really is his true love. Everything is so author dependent, its hard to say what is the proper characterization and what is not. All I know is Talia sucks, Damien is stupid, and the Hush storyline was so great because it pushed forward the Batman/Catwoman relationship.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
bojac6 said:
Andothul said:

People don't forget the whole Talia thing, we just don't believe she really is his true love. Everything is so author dependent, its hard to say what is the proper characterization and what is not. All I know is Talia sucks, Damien is stupid, and the Hush storyline was so great because it pushed forward the Batman/Catwoman relationship.
I find it hard to follow the lore anymore since if they feel like it not good enough anymore they erase it.

Hell Mary Jane from spider-man is about to end up as a new spider-person while Peter starting a new relationship with Black Cat.

It'l like soap opreas for nerds. (Not an insult like a black can use the word a nerd can call other nerd nerds.)

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
IceStar100 said:
bojac6 said:
Andothul said:

I find it hard to follow the lore anymore since if they feel like it not good enough anymore they erase it.

Hell Mary Jane from spider-man is about to end up as a new spider-person while Peter starting a new relationship with Black Cat.

It'l like soap opreas for nerds. (Not an insult like a black can use the word a nerd can call other nerd nerds.)
Oh, I agree, I've given up on the monthly and any of those titles. Everybody breaking up and having all these emotional dramas, it's just dumb and not entertaining.

And dude, nerd hasn't been an insult for like a decade now. No need to explain anything, we've been calling ourselves nerds since the nineties.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
bojac6 said:
IceStar100 said:
bojac6 said:
Andothul said:

Oh, I agree, I've given up on the monthly and any of those titles. Everybody breaking up and having all these emotional dramas, it's just dumb and not entertaining.

And dude, nerd hasn't been an insult for like a decade now. No need to explain anything, we've been calling ourselves nerds since the nineties.
Got to tread lightly lest you upset the nerd mafia.