Batman, Iron Man and a Dragon Make Forbes Fictional Rich List

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Batman, Iron Man and a Dragon Make Forbes Fictional Rich List

A collection of eleven men, one woman, a vampire, a dragon and a duck make up the world's 15 wealthiest fictional characters.

There's always room for a little fun, even when you're dealing with the super-serious subject of mind-bogglingly rich people. Forbes, which puts together a list of the richest people in America each year, has also assembled a list of the richest people in fiction, which includes the likes of Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne, and the dragon Smaug from The Hobbit.

Forbes' list draws from movies, books, comics, TV shows, cartoons, and even board games, and everyone on it is valued at $1 billion or more, with an average net worth of around $9 billion. Topping the list is Scrooge McDuck, from Duck Tales, thought to be worth about $44.1 billion. According to Forbes, increases in the value of gold has seen McDuck's worth soar recently. Taking the silver is Twilight's Carlisle Cullen, who harnessed the power of compound interest and prophetic visions, and the bronze goes to Artemis Fowl II, the titular hero of the Artemis Fowl novels. Iron Man, Smaug, and Batman make up numbers six, seven and eight on the list, just ahead of Mr. Monopoly.

The best part about the list is how much effort went into its preparation. To work out what Smaug was worth, for example, Forbes took cues from Tolkien's description of the dragon - "vast," "centuries-old" and of a "red-golden color" - and then cross referenced it with Dungeons & Dragons dragon age tables to get an approximate size for Smaug. Using that information as a base, Forbes estimated the volume of the mound of gold and silver coins that the dragon sleeps on, deducting around 30% to account for the space between coins and the bones of past victims. It also used the size information to calculate the value of the diamonds embedded in Smaug's scales. By Forbes' calculations, the dragon is worth at least $8.6 billion, and possibly more.

You can read the full list for yourself here [http://www.forbes.com/lists/fictional15/2011/forbes-fictional-15.html]. There are short biographies for everyone on the list, as well more articles about how the list was put together.

Source: via Collider [http://collider.com/forbes-wealthiest-fictional-characters/84698/]

Mar 30, 2010
That's pretty cool. Following the link leads to a section of the 25 most powerful (richest) fictional companies too. And it's official, Cyberdyne is nowhere near as powerful as MomCorp!

[link]http://blogs.forbes.com/michaelnoer/2011/03/11/the-25-largest-fictional-companies/[/link]

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Ah, Forbes. I love you.

They did some serious work for Smaug, I'm impressed.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Smaug doesn't have jack in comparison to Lofwyr (Shadowrun).
Lofwyr doesn't just own Saeder-Kruppe, he *IS* Saeder-Kruppe.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Well, Smaug isn't running for president, so I don't think we have to worry about that.

Seriously though, it's a pretty cool analysis. I laughed when I saw Scrooge on top of the list, I definitely didn't expect him to be there.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Is it sad that when I saw the Dragon in the headline that was my first thought as to who it would be?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Jhereg42 said:
Is it sad that when I saw the Dragon in the headline that was my first thought as to who it would be?
Forbes didn't do their research. Though we would need a Nuyen->USD conversion to be sure.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Scrooge McDuck only 44.1 Billion?

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

Also, I love the Artemis Fowl II entry.

Source of income: Thief, Forgery, FACEBOOK!

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Lebowski really shouldn't be on there. half the point of the film was that he actually had no money himself.

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
Um, where's the band Dethklok? They personally have the world's twelfth largest economy, at the start of the series having just surpassed Belgium

They have a bit more money than Scrooge McDuck.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Fowl's net worth boomed in recent years thanks to the success of Facebook, which he created under the alias "Mark Zuckerberg."
Haha.

I love the amount of work they put into this and how wide their search net was, definite gold star for the Forbes people.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I'm wondering if Ender should be on this list. Wasn't he insanely wealthy by the time of Speaker for the Dead thanks to Jane handing his investing for a thousand years?

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I love the age of the Geek, 10 years ago a rich list like this would have came from a a fringe website at best, now it's coming from something major.

Its good to see people embracing geek culture and humour.

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
lol I love the Tony Stark entry 'Investors worry he's bi-polar but Stark says "I'm Bi-Winning"'

Iron man and charlie sheen craziness combine!

Benjamin Moore

Nov 29, 2010
What about Event Horizon? If they want rich women, you can't get much richer than Julia Evans. I can't seem to find the net worth of Event Horizon, but there is a scene regarding a financial meeting where the banks she works with offer her practically a blank cheque of three billion pounds 'New Sterling', in an attempt to regain a further cut, only to be informed that Event Horizon's profits are such that will have completely repaid all debts in seven years.

By the third book, Event Horizon is considerably greater.

'Greg Mandel' series -- Peter F Hamilton